35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby sleepy » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:46 am

Flowermonaster wrote:I also think my DS has too much things on his plate but I am not stopping him even though this is a critical year for him. He will have to learn how to cope if that's what he want to do.

The problem is my dd has absolutely no concept of time managament. Even if she knew there's homework with deadlines next day, she can continue to idle & day dream, hide in the toilet to read storybooks with no sense of urgency :faint:

It's compulsory to stay back twice to thrice a week since school can't squeeze in timetable during normal school hours. So I've to streamline for her - remove CCAs, unnecessary classes, enrichments otherwise she will never be able to complete her school homework. And I insist she goes to bed by 9:30pm

Can't cut away her day dreaming, been trying since her kindergarten days with nil success. So I learned that she cannot take on too much 'extras' since she already has an extremely time wasting daily activity which is day dreaming

How to teach time management? She kanna many times due to bad time management but never seem to learn her lessons :mad:

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby dagong99 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:29 pm

Flowermonaster wrote:
Bay wrote:
sleepy wrote: What is oral history project?

So far only aware of 2 projects. One on family tree, the other is photo journal.

Photo journal only spend 30 minutes. Done!
Gosh, maybe my dd didn't spend sufficient time researching :nailbite:

The family tree is part of the Oral History Project.

Ds is not a natural writer so he needs a longer time to come out with a decent piece of work. The scrapbook itself already took him half a day.

My DS was not a natural writer too. When he was in P4, I vomitted blood every time I read his compo. They were really illogical. A lot of day to day things that we thought were normal, he has totally no idea of them. For Eg, we need ATM card & pin number to withdraw money from ATM machine but he thought we just need the card, slot in & the machine will throw out the money! He didn't know that our stove needs gas to work. If we run out of gas, we need to order. There r many more but I won't elaborate here. :faint:
I was worried & consulted his EL teacher but the feedback was gave him some time & he will get better. I bought a few model compo guide book for him but he refused to read them.
Surprising, he is doing quite alright now. At the very least, I don't faint after reading his work. So I am sure your boy is fine, & the time taken will be shorter when he gets better. Don't worry too much ok? :wink:

Wow, really sound like my DS2 ! Just 2 weeks into P4, he lost his school shirt in the school's student care & forgeting to bring back his name tag or water bottle, etc, which is a norm now (every day I have asked him if he has packed his 5 'VIP' items into his bag before we leave school), otherwise he forgets his file or homework :sweat: Like yr DS, mine can't write too, either illogical or full of very childish ideas. I'm really looking forward to the teacher meet parent session to check out with his teachers his performance. :pray:

dagong99
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby dagong99 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:39 pm

sleepy wrote:
Flowermonaster wrote:I also think my DS has too much things on his plate but I am not stopping him even though this is a critical year for him. He will have to learn how to cope if that's what he want to do.

The problem is my dd has absolutely no concept of time managament. Even if she knew there's homework with deadlines next day, she can continue to idle & day dream, hide in the toilet to read storybooks with no sense of urgency :faint:

It's compulsory to stay back twice to thrice a week since school can't squeeze in timetable during normal school hours. So I've to streamline for her - remove CCAs, unnecessary classes, enrichments otherwise she will never be able to complete her school homework. And I insist she goes to bed by 9:30pm

Can't cut away her day dreaming, been trying since her kindergarten days with nil success. So I learned that she cannot take on too much 'extras' since she already has an extremely time wasting daily activity which is day dreaming

How to teach time management? She kanna many times due to bad time management but never seem to learn her lessons :mad:

My DS2 oso hides inside the toilet to read books (he said it's free from my nagging) otherwise, idle around, takes 5 mins to find a pen, another 5 to take a drink, etc, then he can start doing his homework ... , less than 15 mins later, he will get up to do something else except his homework (his arguement is that he has an allergy = he is allergic to 'homework') no sense of urgency at all. :stompfeet: I oso need to know how to teach time management, I never had this problem with my DS1, always settle his things well, no need me to worry. :shrug:

dagong99
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Just4Fun » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:19 pm

dagong99 wrote:(his arguement is that he has an allergy = he is allergic to 'homework') no sense of urgency at all. :stompfeet: I oso need to know how to teach time management, I never had this problem with my DS1, always settle his things well, no need me to worry. :shrug:

At least yr DS2 has the sense of humour !

Just4Fun
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Flowermonaster » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:55 pm

Just4Fun wrote:
dagong99 wrote:(his arguement is that he has an allergy = he is allergic to 'homework') no sense of urgency at all. :stompfeet: I oso need to know how to teach time management, I never had this problem with my DS1, always settle his things well, no need me to worry. :shrug:

:rotflmao:

Flowermonaster
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby dagong99 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:22 pm

Just4Fun wrote:

Ya, that's true ! He's always my sunflower :hugs:

dagong99
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Bay » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:16 pm

Flowermonaster wrote:I am sure your boy is fine, & the time taken will be shorter when he gets better. Don't worry too much ok? :wink:

Your words are my pillar of strength. Felt so much better after reading your post. I am a worrier. Guess I have to adjust my expectations as well. Million thanks to you. :thankyou:

Bay
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Herbie » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:05 am

For p6, when can the parents get to see the report books? :-)

Herbie
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby superksmum » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:06 am

Herbie wrote:For p6, when can the parents get to see the report books? :-)

U can drop an email to the teacher and request for it.

superksmum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Flowermonaster » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:19 am

Herbie wrote:For p6, when can the parents get to see the report books? :-)

Wow, Herbie so fast U thinking of report book already huh. I rather not see my DS's report book.Think the report book should be given in time for their DSA & before school holiday I am sure. :wink:

Flowermonaster
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres