35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby E3 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:58 am

Thanks for the info, ksme! Yes, she's in P4. How many questions will there be for the paper? Is it also out of 50 marks? Thanks.

E3
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ksme » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:07 pm

E3 wrote:Thanks for the info, ksme! Yes, she's in P4. How many questions will there be for the paper? Is it also out of 50 marks? Thanks.

Hi, you are welcome. Not sure how many questions there are but they all relate to the same pattern. If I remember correctly, they will have more than enough time for the paper and to check a few times. I think it is out of 25 marks.

ksme
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby E3 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:11 pm

Thank you so much. Now, I have a clearer idea. Shall wait for the practice papers.

E3
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Surirumah » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:10 pm

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I'm so happy happy to find this "place". My DS is in P4 GEP. He was from a neighbourhood school and was doing pretty well there. Unfortunately I can't say the same now. He's having some difficulties in maths. Can I have some advice on what assessment books or what should I do to help him improve? I can't find any Maths GEP related assessement books at the bookshop. Currently he is not attending any tuition. At the moment his workload is so heavy I doubt there is time for that. Please please help. Thank you so much.

Surirumah
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Flowermonaster » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:34 am

Surirumah wrote:Hello, I'm new to this forum. I'm so happy happy to find this "place". My DS is in P4 GEP. He was from a neighbourhood school and was doing pretty well there. Unfortunately I can't say the same now. He's having some difficulties in maths. Can I have some advice on what assessment books or what should I do to help him improve? I can't find any Maths GEP related assessement books at the bookshop. Currently he is not attending any tuition. At the moment his workload is so heavy I doubt there is time for that. Please please help. Thank you so much.

Hi Surirumah, did you find out the reason(s) for not doing well? Was it careless, interpret questions wrongly or really don't know? He can approach his Math T for help during recess or after school for those concepts unclear. As for assessment book, you can try GEP & Math Olympiad Questions by Shinglee at popular bookstore. There r different vol for different level. Hope these will help him.
Last edited by Flowermonaster on Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Flowermonaster
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:02 pm

Surirumah wrote:Hello, I'm new to this forum. I'm so happy happy to find this "place". My DS is in P4 GEP. He was from a neighbourhood school and was doing pretty well there. Unfortunately I can't say the same now. He's having some difficulties in maths. Can I have some advice on what assessment books or what should I do to help him improve? I can't find any Maths GEP related assessement books at the bookshop. Currently he is not attending any tuition. At the moment his workload is so heavy I doubt there is time for that. Please please help. Thank you so much.

Assuming he's having problem with the math concepts, unless the assessment bks comes with step by step solution, i'm not sure if it's of much help.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby CRAZYBANANA » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:57 pm

The Shinglee assessement books for GEP Maths do have step-by-step solutions. Strongly recommend.

CRAZYBANANA
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Surirumah » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:01 am

Thank you so much for your kind advice. Yes, went to popular and got the shinglee book.
Quick question; if a child is in a GEP, he/she is expected to have some maths olympiad knowledge? Reason is, honestly speaking, it never occured to me that there is such thing in primary level. I have read in the papers before and I always thought it was for the secondary or tertiary levels. Yes, I've been at home for too long. I've been ignorant. For the past three years, I've always thought P1 to P3 maths syllabus are as the My Pals Are Here, and as long as he does some assessment books and past years' top school exam papers, the child is fine. And yes, he scored above 90 each time then. Haha! Until now. I found out most of my child's classmates are of so high calibre in their maths knowledge. They do Maths Olympiad! Of course! That's why they are in the GEP! But my child is a 'normal' child when it comes to maths, maybe it was because I have never exposed him to olympiad questions before? I don't know....
My neighbour was so nice to pass me a copy of a Maths Olympiad Intermediate book by Terry Chew. I went thru some of the questions, and I saw stars. Kudos to all you children and parents who have the gift for maths. I'll be the first to say I'm hopeless and clueless for maths.
Sorry for my ramblings and thank you so much again. And yes, will start getting my child to ATTEMPT (notice the word is not DO!) ALL THE OLYMPIAD QUESTIONS (if she can get pass thru the 3rd question)!!!

Surirumah
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Kafer » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:02 pm

My gal does not hv any maths olympiad training and she is doing fine in ge.
Her friends who excel in maths also does not hv MO training.

Kafer
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Kafer » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:08 pm

I think for p6 most of the projects works are over.
They are left with a group project and one write up for ss
and one presentation for eng.

Kafer
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres