Must Go
35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby syshi » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:07 pm

Zann wrote:My ds got bored easily in class last time and we used to receive negative feeback such as not paying attention from his tr. Hope this programme keep him engaged and I am begining to see his interest in going to school ,talking about it and more keen in doing his homework.

yah... Last time my DS always finish his homework in school so when come home nothing else to do..
Now... Got a lot of things to finish at home...

syshi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby 2ppaamm » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:36 pm

It really does not matter whether my kids are in GEP or not. My girls did not sit for the GEP screening tests because they felt happy in the school, and did not want to change school should there be a need.

For DS2, it was quite apparent that most of his classmates will make it to GEP. By historical data, we know his class will have at least 20 who will make it. Hence, I asked him to think carefully if he would take the test. He did, and made it. It was great because his best friends all move to the same class in GEP. We were also ready to move out of the school.

He is only in P4 and so far, he seems so free. Does his homework in 30 minutes, and then play the whole day. Spoke to the HOD today and she agreed that the kid should not bother to go for tuition or do any additional assessment books. I like the freedom he has everyday. In the mainstream, I might have to worry about whether he should spend more time doing all those assessment books or not...

So, GEP works for my son, and my girls simply were not interested. I guess, to each his own.

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ngbrdad » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:38 pm

2ppaamm wrote:It really does not matter whether my kids are in GEP or not. My girls did not sit for the GEP screening tests because they felt happy in the school, and did not want to change school should there be a need.

For DS2, it was quite apparent that most of his classmates will make it to GEP. By historical data, we know his class will have at least 20 who will make it. Hence, I asked him to think carefully if he would take the test. He did, and made it. It was great because his best friends all move to the same class in GEP. We were also ready to move out of the school.

He is only in P4 and so far, he seems so free. Does his homework in 30 minutes, and then play the whole day. Spoke to the HOD today and she agreed that the kid should not bother to go for tuition or do any additional assessment books. I like the freedom he has everyday. In the mainstream, I might have to worry about whether he should spend more time doing all those assessment books or not...

So, GEP works for my son, and my girls simply were not interested. I guess, to each his own.

May I know which shcool is that with 20 pupils from a single class make it to GEP ?

ngbrdad
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ngbrdad » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:39 pm

My son in P5 GEP is given 3 days to either finish reading Animal Farm or at lest finish watching the video.
I remember I read the book for my JC 1 GP assignment last time.
Will P5 kids understand what's it all about ?

ngbrdad
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:45 pm

ngbrdad wrote:My son in P5 GEP is given 3 days to either finish reading Animal Farm or at lest finish watching the video.

Animal Farm was also Sec 1 Literature book and I agree it is quite cheem for children to understand it fully.

Postby 2ppaamm » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:50 pm

ngbrdad wrote:
2ppaamm wrote:It really does not matter whether my kids are in GEP or not. My girls did not sit for the GEP screening tests because they felt happy in the school, and did not want to change school should there be a need.

May I know which shcool is that with 20 pupils from a single class make it to GEP ?

Ha ha... I expected someone will ask this question. This is the top class in the school. And if 30+ student make it to GEP, more than half is expected from this class. I don't want to name the school, otherwise, there will be a long, long queue. :lol:

In any case, our school has a history of producing an average of 30 to GEP and 90 will make it through the first screening, out of about 300 students. I know it is a high proportion, but I don't know why leh...

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 2ppaamm » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:54 pm

ks2me wrote:
ngbrdad wrote:My son in P5 GEP is given 3 days to either finish reading Animal Farm or at lest finish watching the video.

Animal Farm was also Sec 1 Literature book and I agree it is quite cheem for children to understand it fully.

My son could read this book in one sitting when he was about 8. But I know for sure he wouldn't understand much the intricate relationship in there. So, it is one matter to read it, and another to understand. The latter requires some maturity, which still requires time and age.

I guess at P5, the girls might have some maturity to understand the book more than the boys? Just a guess.

What's the point of reading the words without understanding.... :?

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:59 pm

For GEP screening, last time it was to opt in for the test, these days it is to opt out

the Top 5% from round one will be selected for round 2 test - out of which 1/5 will be in the GEP, i.e. the top 1% of each cohort

some who qualify for GEP but choose not to take it up

some who did not get selected after round 2 still ended up as "high ability learner" who out perform the GEPpers.. some who did not get selected were due to misunderstanding of questions asked ..... i.e. no coaching !

GEP Branch has adopted the term "high ability learner" for their tracking purposes, in addition to the tracking of GEPpers
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 2ppaamm » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:02 pm

verykiasu2010 wrote:For GEP screening, last time it was to opt in for the test, these days it is to opt out

the Top 5% from round one will be selected for round 2 test - out of which 1/5 will be in the GEP, i.e. the top 1% of each cohort

some who qualify for GEP but choose not to take it up

some who did not get selected after round 2 still ended up as "high ability learner" who out perform the GEPpers.. some who did not get selected were due to misunderstanding of questions asked ..... i.e. no coaching !

GEP Branch has adopted the term "high ability learner" for their tracking purposes, in addition to the tracking of GEPpers

O... I didn't know that.... Is this something that changed recently?

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:08 pm

the opt out system was introduced around year 2007

only some schools started to "pioneer" high ability learners (HAL) category in 2008 and some of the selected HAL students got offered (only) selected topics / programs of GEP .... to stretch their learning ability vis-a-vis GEPpers...
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres