All About GEP

Academic support and discussions for GEP
Post Reply

GEP screening test? Go or no Go

Poll ended at Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:26 pm

Must Go
7
35%
Can Try
11
55%
Don't Go
2
10%
 
Total votes: 20

yukilei
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Posts: 756
Joined: Mon Nov 09,
Total Likes:1

Re: All About GEP

Post by yukilei » Fri May 11, 2012 9:08 am

8228 wrote:
yukilei wrote:
8228 wrote:How do you help your dc prepare for the maths test? There is no past year paper for GEP. If I give him mainstream papers, he will say they are too easy or the topics are different. What he will do is just quickly flip through the notes and worksheets and he will finish them before I finish reading my newspaper.


Is your dd in masterclass? My DS is still staying back for masterclass today. His teacher said it's good to practise the masterclass material as past years paper do contain some questions from the material.


What is masterclass? I don't think my dc's school has one.


It's Math Masterclass. Only selected students will be in the class.

8228
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Posts: 615
Joined: Thu Apr 15,

Re: All About GEP

Post by 8228 » Fri May 11, 2012 10:38 am

yukilei wrote:It's Math Masterclass. Only selected students will be in the class.


My dc's school has AMEC which is to prepare them for Maths Olympiad. Maybe I would get him to do some Maths Olympiad questions during the weekend.

thmejlfm
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Posts: 216
Joined: Tue Jan 12,

Re: All About GEP

Post by thmejlfm » Fri May 11, 2012 2:24 pm

Hi!

My DD is Pr5 this year. This week is the test week. She had her test for Chinese, English, Social Studies and Science. Next Monday will be Maths.

She said these were just a test not SA1, was she correct? And she don't have time to do her revision. Everyday, come home late, and has a lot of homework and project (including her IVP). She also being chosen for National Education (what is that?), CAP (not sure what is this) and some other Media thingy.

I just wondering is it normal for the GEPer. She is not strong in her Science and Maths. Thought of let her do some past year papers, also don't have time. Everyday has to do until 12 midnight. I am so worried.
:sweat: :?
Please advise. Thank you

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 4776
Joined: Wed Nov 05,
Total Likes:2

Re: All About GEP

Post by vlim » Fri May 11, 2012 2:45 pm

thmejlfm wrote:Hi!

My DD is Pr5 this year. This week is the test week. She had her test for Chinese, English, Social Studies and Science. Next Monday will be Maths.

She said these were just a test not SA1, was she correct? And she don't have time to do her revision. Everyday, come home late, and has a lot of homework and project (including her IVP). She also being chosen for National Education (what is that?), CAP (not sure what is this) and some other Media thingy.

I just wondering is it normal for the GEPer. She is not strong in her Science and Maths. Thought of let her do some past year papers, also don't have time. Everyday has to do until 12 midnight. I am so worried.
:sweat: :?
Please advise. Thank you

It is not sa1 but they are common test which take up some percentage in overall yr end result ...

thmejlfm
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Posts: 216
Joined: Tue Jan 12,

Re: All About GEP

Post by thmejlfm » Fri May 11, 2012 2:51 pm

Hi! vlim

Thanks for your reply. In previous years, did your kid have the time to do the revision or past year papers? Just curious. :lol:


vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 4776
Joined: Wed Nov 05,
Total Likes:2

Re: All About GEP

Post by vlim » Fri May 11, 2012 2:54 pm

thmejlfm wrote:Hi! vlim

Thanks for your reply. In previous years, did your kid have the time to do the revision or past year papers? Just curious. :lol:

Yes, I did let him try some past yrs paper ... But the ivp and cap thingy was either not interrupting his preparation le .. Maybe now the timing different ??

cluelessmama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Posts: 350
Joined: Fri Nov 06,
Total Likes:1

Re: All About GEP

Post by cluelessmama » Fri May 11, 2012 3:38 pm

yukilei wrote:
gladtobemom wrote:
cluelessmama wrote:Both dd n i are so glad that maths is on monday.... still have sat n sun to revise. Shudder to think if it were on Fri :nailbite:


I agree. So glad it's on Monday.
There's also the persuasive speech to prepare.


My DS also need to present the persuasive speech today. Other than that, still have to do 听写。Then I see him struggling whole night trying to memorise the speech & 听写 para. :sweat:


:frustrated: I really pity them, afterall, they are still kids.

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Posts: 990
Joined: Mon Nov 24,

Re: All About GEP

Post by Zann » Fri May 11, 2012 5:18 pm

vlim wrote:
thmejlfm wrote:Hi! vlim

Thanks for your reply. In previous years, did your kid have the time to do the revision or past year papers? Just curious. :lol:

Yes, I did let him try some past yrs paper ... But the ivp and cap thingy was either not interrupting his preparation le .. Maybe now the timing different ??


Do you mean past year GEP papers? Where you get them? Or top schools past years mainstream papers? If it is later, should we use SA1 or SA2?

thmejlfm
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Posts: 216
Joined: Tue Jan 12,

Re: All About GEP

Post by thmejlfm » Sun May 13, 2012 10:29 pm

I don't have the GEP papers. I only give her the mainstream past year papers.

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 4776
Joined: Wed Nov 05,
Total Likes:2

Re: All About GEP

Post by vlim » Sun May 13, 2012 11:13 pm

Zann wrote:
vlim wrote:
thmejlfm wrote:Hi! vlim

Thanks for your reply. In previous years, did your kid have the time to do the revision or past year papers? Just curious. :lol:

Yes, I did let him try some past yrs paper ... But the ivp and cap thingy was either not interrupting his preparation le .. Maybe now the timing different ??


Do you mean past year GEP papers? Where you get them? Or top schools past years mainstream papers? If it is later, should we use SA1 or SA2?

I am referring to the top schools mainstream past yrs papers.. For el, can buy 1 or 2 level hIgher.

Post Reply