55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby jtoh » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:16 pm

Extract from The Sunday Times 3 June 2012

Should you prepare for the GEP test?

But is preparing for the GEP test necessary or beneficial to the child?

The Education Ministry, schools and experts say no.

A ministry spokesman advised parents against sending their children for special preparatory classes.

'A child who gains admission into the GEP through intensive coaching may not be able to cope with the programme's demands, and this could cause the child unnecessary stress and could lead to loss of self-confidence,' she said.

Mrs Maria Koh, vice-principal of Henry Park Primary, a GEP school, said: 'It adds undue pressure on children and they might not be able to cope with the rigour and demands of the GEP.'

National Institute of Education psychologist Maureen Neihart said that while not all children will be stressed by such classes, she would not recommend it.

She said children who are placed in classes where the pace of instruction and the level of challenge are not a good fit could end up under- achieving.

'If I work very hard but don't do well, I learn that my effort doesn't matter and I am likely to give up. Why bother to continue to try when I repeatedly fail? This can be very damaging to children's self-esteem,' she said.

Can giftedness be trained?

Some enrichment centres are against training pupils for the GEP.

The Learning Lab does not offer such classes even though parents of Primary 3 pupils ask for them every year.

Said its spokesman: 'There are horror stories of pupils who are not truly gifted but sneak in because they are hot-housed for entry. They then struggle to cope. Some lose interest in learning and suffer a loss in self-esteem.'

GEP alumnus Zhou Shicai, who runs NickleBee Tutors, also does not believe in training kids for the programme.

'I'm concerned that a high-ability but not 'intellectually gifted' child might not be able to adapt to GEP.'

And whether pupils can be trained for GEP is a matter of contention, given that the enrichment centres choose the children for their programmes.

The centres do not claim that they can make a child gifted, and are careful to add disclaimers.

Said Mr Kelvin Ong: 'I'm not God. I'm basically giving them exposure. They also need to have motivation and drive to be in GEP.'

Mr Peh said some parents ask for a guarantee that their children will get into the GEP after attending his programme, but he tells them he cannot do so.

Whether or not giftedness can be trained, there are parents who let their children qualify on their own steam.

Housewife Sharon Ang, 49, has seen all her four children, aged 14 to 21, make it to the GEP. Other parents do not believe her when she tells them that none of her children attended special preparatory classes.

She is married to Mr Ang Fui Gan, 49, a senior manager, and they live in a five-room HDB flat in Choa Chu Kang.

'We felt it was more important that they enjoy their childhood. What I did do was to take them to the library often to get books they liked,' said Mrs Ang, who read to her children from a young age.

Typically, they borrowed 20 books a week from the library.

Her two younger children are in secondary school and junior college, her older son is in national service and her older daughter is studying in Nanyang Technological University.

Not impressed by the centres that promise results from their GEP preparation programmes, she said: 'The GEP curriculum is very rigorous. If you push the kids through, they will suffer.'

janeng@sph.com.sg

facebook.com/ST.JaneNg

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Zann » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:41 am

You won't be able to know if your kid is gifted if your kid is hot-housed and drilled to get into GEP with preparation course. Let nature takes its course, then you and your kid will be very sure he/she can handle the rigorous demand of the course level with confidence. Else it is better to stay in mainstream to build a good foundation and be well prepared for PSLE in P6.

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby phtthp » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:06 pm

Quote wrote:Mr Peh said some parents ask for a guarantee that their children will get into the GEP after attending his programme, but he tells them he cannot do so.

isn't it ridiculous that some parents gone to the extent of "ask for a GUARANTEE that their children will get into GEP" ?

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:12 pm

phtthp wrote:
Quote wrote:Mr Peh said some parents ask for a guarantee that their children will get into the GEP after attending his programme, but he tells them he cannot do so.

isn't it ridiculous that some parents gone to the extent of "ask for a GUARANTEE that their children will get into GEP" ?

About as ridiculous as parents wanting to spend thousands of dollars to attend these prep classes.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby phtthp » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:16 pm

jtoh wrote:About as ridiculous as parents wanting to spend thousands of dollars to attend these prep classes.

Yes, agree with you!
ridiculous to spend THOUSANDS of $ to attend these Prep classes, when Mr Peh already told parents clearly outfront that he CANNOT guarantee.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Mr Peh busy collecting cash $ on the ground, dropped down from the sky!
refer quote:-
someone mention that "Aristocare sells past GEP papers for $800 each" :shock: :yikes:

http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... 6&start=40

Such parents are in a fanatic frency to buy an intangible product called "Hope".

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Just4Fun » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:50 am

[quote="phtthp"][quote="jtoh"]
Mr Peh busy collecting cash $ on the ground, dropped down from the sky!
refer quote:-
someone mention that "Aristocare sells past GEP papers for $800 each" :shock: :yikes:
quote]

Anyone got past year paper to circulate? I will be interested to do it myself .... won't be surprised I can't pass the paper !

Just4Fun
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Herbie » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:15 pm

Does yr p6 kid has sch homework to do during the holiday? My dd does not hv much homework to do.

Herbie
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Zann » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:58 pm

Herbie wrote:Does yr p6 kid has sch homework to do during the holiday? My dd does not hv much homework to do.

My ds is busy with his SS 2nd entry and project. There is not much homework also.

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby yukilei » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:36 am

Zann wrote:
Herbie wrote:Does yr p6 kid has sch homework to do during the holiday? My dd does not hv much homework to do.

My ds is busy with his SS 2nd entry and project. There is not much homework also.

Zann, what is this SS 2nd entry & project about? I know they're suppose to do Problem solving but this is in group. & I know there should be last project, something related to Spore & Asean or Asia, not very sure, but my DS said he does not have any SS to do.

As for homework, he was given tons of testpapers to do. Guess this is not related to GE prog.

yukilei
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Zann » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:32 pm

yukilei wrote:
Zann wrote:

Zann, what is this SS 2nd entry & project about? I know they're suppose to do Problem solving but this is in group. & I know there should be last project, something related to Spore & Asean or Asia, not very sure, but my DS said he does not have any SS to do.

As for homework, he was given tons of testpapers to do. Guess this is not related to GE prog.

May be diff school has diff pace and schedule. SS 2nd entry is something like the 1st entry. I am so sure the nature of the group project but saw my ds have frequent group meetings with his team over Chat and preparing for presentation slides.

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

LEARNConcierge