LEARNConcierge

All About GEP

Academic support and discussions for GEP

GEP screening test? Go or no Go

Poll ended at Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:26 pm

Must Go
7
35%
Can Try
11
55%
Don't Go
2
10%
 
Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby Lynn2010 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:27 pm

PiggyLalala wrote:70% is the basemark. It is a big concern to me if my child cannot even achieve the basemark. My next question will then be is my child suitable to be in the GE program? Would it be better if he stays in the mainstream?
I would expect across all GE centres to have around only 3 students to score less than 70%, expecially so for the P6 as they will be very used to the GE exam by then.
I also wonder what help is given to these students who did not clear the basemark.


Could these children be those who attend "special GEP prep course" to get into GEP but cant cope?

Honestly, my dd was very lazy, she is the type that wont do more than what was given as homework to get by. Day dreamer, forgot to do/hand-in hmwk, etc. She scored >80% in her GEP mid year last year. Considering she is a potato, cant really speak mandarin (should not score too high for MT oral & compo), not a bad result

Lynn2010
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 567
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:46 pm
Total Likes: 1


Re: All About GEP

Postby 8228 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:40 pm

Lynn2010 wrote:
PiggyLalala wrote:70% is the basemark. It is a big concern to me if my child cannot even achieve the basemark. My next question will then be is my child suitable to be in the GE program? Would it be better if he stays in the mainstream?
I would expect across all GE centres to have around only 3 students to score less than 70%, expecially so for the P6 as they will be very used to the GE exam by then.
I also wonder what help is given to these students who did not clear the basemark.


Could these children be those who attend "special GEP prep course" to get into GEP but cant cope?

Honestly, my dd was very lazy, she is the type that wont do more than what was given as homework to get by. Day dreamer, forgot to do/hand-in hmwk, etc. She scored >80% in her GEP mid year last year. Considering she is a potato, cant really speak mandarin (should not score too high for MT oral & compo), not a bad result


Ya, it may be good if GE branch could survey those students e.g. like what Lynn2010 said, whether they attended GEP prep course. Probably could check their GEP selection test and screening test results to see if their scores were at the lower end of those selected.

8228
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 615
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:47 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: All About GEP

Postby PiggyLalala » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:30 am

Lynn2010 wrote:
PiggyLalala wrote:70% is the basemark. It is a big concern to me if my child cannot even achieve the basemark. My next question will then be is my child suitable to be in the GE program? Would it be better if he stays in the mainstream?
I would expect across all GE centres to have around only 3 students to score less than 70%, expecially so for the P6 as they will be very used to the GE exam by then.
I also wonder what help is given to these students who did not clear the basemark.


Could these children be those who attend "special GEP prep course" to get into GEP but cant cope?

Honestly, my dd was very lazy, she is the type that wont do more than what was given as homework to get by. Day dreamer, forgot to do/hand-in hmwk, etc. She scored >80% in her GEP mid year last year. Considering she is a potato, cant really speak mandarin (should not score too high for MT oral & compo), not a bad result


Even if these children are those who have attended the GEP prep course and ended up in the program, it is unlikely that all these students are in the same GEP centre. I am just concerned over the 17%. This means that there are around 8 students in 2 classes of total, say, 48 students who did not manage to clear the baseline. Personally, I dont think there should have so many P6 students in a GEP school not to clear as those who cannot cope with the program would have been advised to go back to mainstream at the end of P4 or P5.
Last edited by PiggyLalala on Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PiggyLalala
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 4051
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 8:11 pm
Total Likes: 22


Re: All About GEP

Postby PiggyLalala » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:36 am

8228 wrote:
Lynn2010 wrote:
PiggyLalala wrote:70% is the basemark. It is a big concern to me if my child cannot even achieve the basemark. My next question will then be is my child suitable to be in the GE program? Would it be better if he stays in the mainstream?
I would expect across all GE centres to have around only 3 students to score less than 70%, expecially so for the P6 as they will be very used to the GE exam by then.
I also wonder what help is given to these students who did not clear the basemark.


Could these children be those who attend "special GEP prep course" to get into GEP but cant cope?

Honestly, my dd was very lazy, she is the type that wont do more than what was given as homework to get by. Day dreamer, forgot to do/hand-in hmwk, etc. She scored >80% in her GEP mid year last year. Considering she is a potato, cant really speak mandarin (should not score too high for MT oral & compo), not a bad result


Ya, it may be good if GE branch could survey those students e.g. like what Lynn2010 said, whether they attended GEP prep course. Probably could check their GEP selection test and screening test results to see if their scores were at the lower end of those selected.


I would love to know my child's ranking in the GEP selection test too. Especially if there is a correlation between the score and their performance in the GE program.

PiggyLalala
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 4051
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 8:11 pm
Total Likes: 22


Re: All About GEP

Postby cluelessmama » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:40 am

I told my DD about what I read in this forum about the 2% and 17% of geppers of scoring below the 70% baseline. And to my surprise, she said that if she didn't remember wrongly, the lowest score in her cohort is 70%.

cluelessmama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 350
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:05 am
Total Likes: 1



Re: All About GEP

Postby h530251 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:54 pm

I am just wondering inside for those schools that have more than 1 GEP class, do they rank the GEP class like GEP1 is the best class and GEP2 is send best etc ? :evil:

h530251
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:28 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: All About GEP

Postby cluelessmama » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:19 pm

h530251 wrote:I am just wondering inside for those schools that have more than 1 GEP class, do they rank the GEP class like GEP1 is the best class and GEP2 is send best etc ? :evil:


The classes are not ranked in my child's school.

cluelessmama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 350
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:05 am
Total Likes: 1


Re: All About GEP

Postby PiggyLalala » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:21 pm

Random mix in the 2 classes. Don't think they stream the students according to their result.

PiggyLalala
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 4051
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 8:11 pm
Total Likes: 22


Re: All About GEP

Postby PiggyLalala » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:24 pm

cluelessmama wrote:I told my DD about what I read in this forum about the 2% and 17% of geppers of scoring below the 70% baseline. And to my surprise, she said that if she didn't remember wrongly, the lowest score in her cohort is 70%.


Peronally i think that should be the case. Every p6 student should get at least the baseline mark of 70 percent.

PiggyLalala
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 4051
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 8:11 pm
Total Likes: 22


Re: All About GEP

Postby jtoh » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:41 pm

PiggyLalala wrote:
cluelessmama wrote:I told my DD about what I read in this forum about the 2% and 17% of geppers of scoring below the 70% baseline. And to my surprise, she said that if she didn't remember wrongly, the lowest score in her cohort is 70%.


Peronally i think that should be the case. Every p6 student should get at least the baseline mark of 70 percent.


That's what I think too. Of course there may be a handful who fall below the baseline, but the figures given earlier were really quite large.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 11166
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:47 pm
Total Likes: 99


PreviousNext

Return to GEP

LEARNConcierge