55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby 2ppaamm » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:51 pm

vlim wrote:
2ppaamm wrote:
MdmKS wrote:
verykiasu2010 wrote:GEP Branch has adopted the term "high ability learner" for their tracking purposes, in addition to the tracking of GEPpers

How and what do they track for both HAL and GEPers? And what is the purpose?

Actually, I also wonder why. I was told that even amongst the GEPers, they are looking for that one or two outstanding ones only... well, that's when the program first started 20+ years or so ago.

hah u mean one or two out of the 500 gepers? :?

Yep, that's what I was told. But that's during the old education minister's time. He is dead now. If you talk to any old time gep teacher, they will be able to tell you this was what he would say during the p4 gep briefing.

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:54 pm

2ppaamm wrote:Actually, I also wonder why. I was told that even amongst the GEPers, they are looking for that one or two outstanding ones only... well, that's when the program first started 20+ years or so ago.

To groom as future top leaders or send them to the lab to check why their brain so "tokong" and how to clone them?
Last edited by Guest on Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby vlim » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:54 pm

oic..i was told that the top few % of gepers will be tracked..but just wondering what will government/moe 'do' to them or 'offer' them :?

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 2ppaamm » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:56 pm

ks2me wrote:
2ppaamm wrote:Actually, I also wonder why. I was told that even amongst the GEPers, they are looking for that one or two outstanding ones only... well, that's when the program first started 20+ years or so ago.

To groom as future top leaders?

The teacher who told me didn't really explain. Her exact words are that the minister told the parents that they are looking for that one or 2 only. I guess it is to groom as top leader... not sure. But that's about right, don't you think? How can there be 500 leaders every year?

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:58 pm

2ppaamm wrote:
ks2me wrote:

The teacher who told me didn't really explain. Her exact words are that the minister told the parents that they are looking for that one or 2 only. I guess it is to groom as top leader... not sure. But that's about right, don't you think? How can there be 500 leaders every year?

yep...and also maybe looking out for future president scholar...

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 2ppaamm » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:58 pm

And don't forget, besides the GEP branch, there's the EG branch. Those there are even 'creamier'. :lol: Tops when it comes to brains.

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:59 pm

2ppaamm wrote:
ks2me wrote:

Should be la...I know the cream of the crops are always tracked...and they need to lead a "clean" life before being appointed. So GEPPERs' parents, pls take note, being monitored is inevitable.

Postby KSmom8 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:01 am

2ppaamm wrote:He is only in P4 and so far, he seems so free. Does his homework in 30 minutes, and then play the whole day. Spoke to the HOD today and she agreed that the kid should not bother to go for tuition or do any additional assessment books. I like the freedom he has everyday. In the mainstream, I might have to worry about whether he should spend more time doing all those assessment books or not...

So, GEP works for my son, and my girls simply were not interested. I guess, to each his own.

Wow! Your son does his homework in 30 mins! Does he have litlle homework or is he efficient? If the latter, I'm so green with envy!

My son has plenty of homework lately... tons of chinese homework, meeting social studies project deadlines, newspaper clippings, etc. Recently, he's been doing his homework till almost dinnertime and sometimes till bedtime. A few of his classmates have called him at 6pm plus to discuss about homework. I hope that over time, he will better manage his time and prioritise.

I am concerned because he used to finish his homework very quickly in P3. It's just the beginning of the year and he's already complaining about the workload.

KSmom8
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby 2ppaamm » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:01 am

ks2me wrote:Should be la...I know the cream of the crops are always tracked...and they need to lead a "clean" life before being appointed. So GEPPERs' parents, pls take note, being monitored is inevitable.

But mine got monitored for all the wrong reasons leh :cry: He's twice exceptional, which is also 5% of the GEPers. Such kids are gifted and have special needs. There is so little research on such children, even the MOE know not what to do. :(

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:01 am

2ppaamm wrote:And don't forget, besides the GEP branch, there's the EG branch. Those there are even 'creamier'. :lol: Tops when it comes to brains.

True, but typically these will go into inventions and very difficult things normal people find it hard to do. People dynamics may not be their forte.

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres