35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby Nebbermind » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:14 pm

But for a class of 24~25, 4 or 5 underperformers is not surprising for the worst case. I remember a couple of kids in class were always labelled underperformers but eventually did well enough or dsa to one of the top IP sch.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:03 pm

Nebbermind wrote:But for a class of 24~25, 4 or 5 underperformers is not surprising for the worst case. I remember a couple of kids in class were always labelled underperformers but eventually did well enough or dsa to one of the top IP sch.

In my opinion, 4-5 scoring below baseline in a class of 25 is a lot. That's akin to 20% of the class.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Nebbermind » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:13 pm

jtoh wrote:
Nebbermind wrote:But for a class of 24~25, 4 or 5 underperformers is not surprising for the worst case. I remember a couple of kids in class were always labelled underperformers but eventually did well enough or dsa to one of the top IP sch.

In my opinion, 4-5 scoring below baseline in a class of 25 is a lot. That's akin to 20% of the class.

Guess diff expectation bah. Other than the underperformers, there was also the slackers ( I really wonder if the kids coined these terms or teachers gave) so the figures is abt there for the more relax gep sch. Like I said, it's for worst case. Schools such as RGPS will not let that happens. :wink:

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Lynn2010 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:11 am

I think scoring below the baseline is possible. Being gifted does not mean gifted in academic. They may be gifted in other areas like music or art, have very high IQ. So when it comes to academic, they are a little slack. They may spend most of their time drawing/painting, playing music, etc.

Not sure if Mozart and Beethoven can survive in our GEP program.

Lynn2010
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Atan » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:27 am

Lynn2010 wrote:I think scoring below the baseline is possible. Being gifted does not mean gifted in academic. They may be gifted in other areas like music or art, have very high IQ. So when it comes to academic, they are a little slack. They may spend most of their time drawing/painting, playing music, etc.

Such gifted kids would not clear the GEP tests in the first place, since GEP test comprised of Math & Eng, besides GA.

Being good in one subj or area will not get one into GEP. Lim Jeck is a good example. He is a Maths genius but a mediocre in Lang.

Atan
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby tankee » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:36 am

Lynn2010 wrote:I think scoring below the baseline is possible. Being gifted does not mean gifted in academic. They may be gifted in other areas like music or art, have very high IQ. So when it comes to academic, they are a little slack. They may spend most of their time drawing/painting, playing music, etc.

:goodpost:

But I do not believe our GEP are for these gifted in arts. They are unlikely to get through the selection in the first place.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby jtoh » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:40 am

The GEP selection test is for those who are academically 'gifted', not for those who are gifted in music, art etc.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby PiggyLalala » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:43 am

jtoh wrote:

I also think that it is not acceptable and it does not reflect well on the teachers, schools and the students.

PiggyLalala
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:44 am

Nebbermind wrote:
jtoh wrote:

Guess diff expectation bah. Other than the underperformers, there was also the slackers ( I really wonder if the kids coined these terms or teachers gave) so the figures is abt there for the more relax gep sch. Like I said, it's for worst case. Schools such as RGPS will not let that happens. :wink:

Yes, I suppose there are slackers who'll do poorly not because they are less capable but bec of attitude. But if they're showing consistently below baseline results from P4-P6, likelihood is they will score <255 in PSLE unless they buck up in the final sprint. And likelihood they may not get COs to their dream school.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby PiggyLalala » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:50 am

Nebbermind wrote:
jtoh wrote:

There are only so few GEP centres. I expect the MOE to have a close monitoring of all the centres. The difference in standard should not be that great. Whether relax or not relax GEP sch, the teachers must help ALL students to clear the baseline mark since the baseline mark is only the min passing mark. We are not talking about 75 or 80 percent.

PiggyLalala
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to GEP