35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby 8228 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:34 am

[quote="Atan]Such gifted kids would not clear the GEP tests in the first place, since GEP test comprised of Math & Eng, besides GA.

Being good in one subj or area will not get one into GEP. Lim Jeck is a good example. He is a Maths genius but a mediocre in Lang.[/quote]

Lim Jeck was not in GEP?! I thought those maths geniuses would be selected even if their English standard is just average. When I attended Catholic High school tour for GEP school selection, the teacher said they had 2 GEP students who were maths geniuses but needed English remedial lessons from P4 all the way to P6.

BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby jtoh » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:38 am

PiggyLalala wrote:
Nebbermind wrote:
jtoh wrote:
In my opinion, 4-5 scoring below baseline in a class of 25 is a lot. That's akin to 20% of the class.

Guess diff expectation bah. Other than the underperformers, there was also the slackers ( I really wonder if the kids coined these terms or teachers gave) so the figures is abt there for the more relax gep sch. Like I said, it's for worst case. Schools such as RGPS will not let that happens. :wink:

There are only so few GEP centres. I expect the MOE to have a close monitoring of all the centres. The difference in standard should not be that great. Whether relax or not relax GEP sch, the teachers must help ALL students to clear the baseline mark since the baseline mark is only the min passing mark. We are not talking about 75 or 80 percent.

GEP does keep a close eye on the centres and the students. That's why I think for the students who are not performing, it's not because the teachers haven't been putting in the effort. It's more to do with the students' ability and attitude. The question then is why are they not performing? Not GEP standard but managed to squeeze into the programme bec of GEP prep programmes and now struggling? Or they never wanted to go to GEP and their parents forced them to?

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Nebbermind » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:46 am

jtoh wrote: Yes, I suppose there are slackers who'll do poorly not because they are less capable but bec of attitude. But if they're showing consistently below baseline results from P4-P6, likelihood is they will score <255 in PSLE unless they buck up in the final sprint. And likelihood they may not get COs to their dream school.

Not everyone's expectation and dream school are the same!!! :wink:

We only asked for 250 from our boy and encouraged him to better that so he can get better choice of 3rd lang. :evil:

To us, GEP is just a Godsend enrichment class. Juz go there and enjoy the process. As long as he put in enough effort n not fall so far behind the cohort, it's OK coz eventually also take the same PSLE. Since it is known that some of the things are beyond their yrs, we accepted that there will be a % of math qns which he will not be able to do...just go and get solution from teachers...why lose sleep over it or die-die must have tuition?

Think he cleared baseline most of the time....not important now...only remember he even volunteered for remedial but rejected. :wink:

Does not reflect well on school and teachers? Nah...that's the least of our concern....our boy has to enjoy his time there...he shd not be the justification of the teacher/school KPI.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:53 am

Nebbermind wrote:
jtoh wrote: Yes, I suppose there are slackers who'll do poorly not because they are less capable but bec of attitude. But if they're showing consistently below baseline results from P4-P6, likelihood is they will score <255 in PSLE unless they buck up in the final sprint. And likelihood they may not get COs to their dream school.

Not everyone's expectation and dream school are the same!!! :wink:

We only asked for 250 from our boy and encouraged him to better that so he can get better choice of 3rd lang. :evil:

To us, GEP is just a Godsend enrichment class. Juz go there and enjoy the process. As long as he put in enough effort n not fall so far behind the cohort, it's OK coz eventually also take the same PSLE. Since it is known that some of the things are beyond their yrs, we accepted that there will be a % of math qns which he will not be able to do...just go and get solution from teachers...why lose sleep over it or die-die must have tuition?

Think he cleared baseline most of the time....not important now...only remember he even volunteered for remedial but rejected. :wink:

Does not reflect well on school and teachers? Nah...that's the least of our concern....our boy has to enjoy his time there...he shd not be the justification of the teacher/school KPI.

Yes, not everyone's expectation is the same. Your son is lucky he has supportive parents like you. Unfortunately some kids want to go to the same school that all their friends are going to and their parents expect them to. These are the ones who'll get demoralized.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Nebbermind » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:05 am

jtoh wrote:
Yes, not everyone's expectation is the same. Your son is lucky he has supportive parents like you. Unfortunately some kids want to go to the same school that all their friends are going to and their parents expect them to. These are the ones who'll get demoralized.

Well, I'm sure there were those who did very well in their prev schools and somehow couldn't keep the pace in GEP and hurt their self esteem.

IIRC, in the earlier parents briefing, the school always emphasized on home support for the kids. Not so much that the cirriculum is alot more difficult. Rather, they will be put thru a process that requires higher maturity level, esp in P4 when many of them were still very clueless.

Another thing is that girls are probably quite different...they r usually deemed as more matured at the same age....but more fragile too. :wink:
Last edited by Nebbermind on Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:08 am

Nebbermind wrote:
jtoh wrote:

Well, I'm sure there were those who did very well in their prev schools and somehow couldn't keep the pace in GEP and hurt their self esteem.

IIRC, in the earlier parents briefing, the school always emphasized on home support for the kids. Not so much that the cirriculum is alot more difficult. Rather, they will be put thru a process that requires higher maturity level.

And then you have parents who take the advice to the core and give home support by doing their kids' homework and projects for them. Hahahahaha!!! :rotflmao:

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Nebbermind » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:13 am

jtoh wrote: And then you have parents who take the advice to the core and give home support by doing their kids' homework and projects for them. Hahahahaha!!! :rotflmao:

Like I said before, it's an enrichment process. If your kids gained from your intervention, or in that process, u triggered his/her interest in certain areas, it's still win-win.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:18 am

Nebbermind wrote:
jtoh wrote: And then you have parents who take the advice to the core and give home support by doing their kids' homework and projects for them. Hahahahaha!!! :rotflmao:

Like I said before, it's an enrichment process. If your kids gained from your intervention, or in that process, u triggered his/her interest in certain areas, it's still win-win.

My tongue-in-cheek statement was about parents who literally do their kids' homework and projects for them. Maybe not 100%, but significant. Or outsource them to tutors/lecturers to do.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Lynn2010 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:52 pm

jtoh wrote:
Nebbermind wrote:

My tongue-in-cheek statement was about parents who literally do their kids' homework and projects for them. Maybe not 100%, but significant. Or outsource them to tutors/lecturers to do.

I'm very sure the parents/tutors helping happens. I remember DD told me that a few of her classmates hand-in perfect work. No ned for 2nd or 3rd draft. "Unfortunately" I always asked my dd to do the assignment on her own, and if she had to do a 2nd or 3rd draft, so be it. At least she is learning, the dos and donts.

Not fair leh, all these assignments are graded. But what to do, I O Sim. Must fall then she can learn how to stand, i cant hold her hand forever!

Lynn2010
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby ForumWriter » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:10 pm

jtoh wrote:GEP does keep a close eye on the centres and the students.

Too true. I still get those survey letters from MOE, reminding me that they're still stalking me.

ForumWriter
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres