35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby ForumWriter » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:18 pm

Lynn2010 wrote:I'm very sure the parents/tutors helping happens. I remember DD told me that a few of her classmates hand-in perfect work. No ned for 2nd or 3rd draft. "Unfortunately" I always asked my dd to do the assignment on her own, and if she had to do a 2nd or 3rd draft, so be it. At least she is learning, the dos and donts.

Not fair leh, all these assignments are graded. But what to do, I O Sim. Must fall then she can learn how to stand, i cant hold her hand forever!

That is correct. Some parents are very proactive in their kids' work so that they can get high marks, even until secondary school.

We once had to create a Rolling Ball Sculpture as a group assignment. I was amazed at the complexity and automation of some groups' RBS. I couldn't imagine that kids would have the resourcefulness and ability to stake out hardware shops, purchase motors and other construction materials and even program the entire system! Definitely lots of parental help there.

I've observed that they mostly come from the same socioeconomic group too, and their mothers mostly hold the same jobs.

ForumWriter
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jtoh » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:16 am

Lynn2010 wrote:
I'm very sure the parents/tutors helping happens. I remember DD told me that a few of her classmates hand-in perfect work. No ned for 2nd or 3rd draft. "Unfortunately" I always asked my dd to do the assignment on her own, and if she had to do a 2nd or 3rd draft, so be it. At least she is learning, the dos and donts.

Not fair leh, all these assignments are graded. But what to do, I O Sim. Must fall then she can learn how to stand, i cant hold her hand forever!

My philosophy is the same as yours. Let them do it on their own and take ownership of their projects and homework. GEP is a learning process and the skills they take away from doing projects on their own will serve them well in future.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Nebbermind » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:51 am

ForumWriter wrote: That is correct. Some parents are very proactive in their kids' work so that they can get high marks, even until secondary school.

We once had to create a Rolling Ball Sculpture as a group assignment. I was amazed at the complexity and automation of some groups' RBS. I couldn't imagine that kids would have the resourcefulness and ability to stake out hardware shops, purchase motors and other construction materials and even program the entire system! Definitely lots of parental help there.

I've observed that they mostly come from the same socioeconomic group too, and their mothers mostly hold the same jobs.

But that's a fact of life, ya?
There are many parents here who can teach or tutor their kids, some even accelerate the school curriculum by a yr or 2. Unfair advantage?

As parents, we must also be cautious. We can bring our kids to a certain destination. But if he is not able to advance from there...or worse, cannot even replicate the original journey, then he is in BIG trouble.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby HAPPYH » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:35 am

Nebbermind wrote:
ForumWriter wrote: That is correct. Some parents are very proactive in their kids' work so that they can get high marks, even until secondary school.

But that's a fact of life, ya?
There are many parents here who can teach or tutor their kids, some even accelerate the school curriculum by a yr or 2. Unfair advantage?

As parents, we must also be cautious. We can bring our kids to a certain destination. But if he is not able to advance from there...or worse, cannot even replicate the original journey, then he is in BIG trouble.

Strongly agree with you.

My friend and her hubby are seriously doing the (GEP) project works and collect data/details and stay late until 2 am, etc....Not much contribution form the child. Then it really defeats the purpose.

HAPPYH
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:10 pm

HAPPYH wrote:
My friend and her hubby are seriously doing the (GEP) project works and collect data/details and stay late until 2 am, etc....Not much contribution form the child. Then it really defeats the purpose.

How old is your friend's child? I hope they have the energy to do his/her homework in secondary school, JC and university.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby verykiasu2010 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:14 pm

jtoh wrote:
HAPPYH wrote:

How old is your friend's child? I hope they have the energy to do his/her homework in secondary school, JC and university.

child's age is of no concern. of concern is the age of the parents if you consider uni and post grad research or post PhD research etc
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Flowermonaster » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:28 pm

verykiasu2010 wrote:
jtoh wrote:
HAPPYH wrote:

child's age is of no concern. of concern is the age of the parents if you consider uni and post grad research or post PhD research etc

:rotflmao:

Flowermonaster
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:30 pm

verykiasu2010 wrote:
jtoh wrote:
HAPPYH wrote:

Haha! The parents will be studying with their kid way into retirement age.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby verykiasu2010 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:34 pm

jtoh wrote:

then GEP = Granny's Education Program
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:40 pm

verykiasu2010 wrote:
jtoh wrote:

then GEP = Granny's Education Program

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

PreviousNext

Return to GEP