55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby Lynn2010 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:51 pm

jtoh wrote:
Lynn2010 wrote:
I'm very sure the parents/tutors helping happens. I remember DD told me that a few of her classmates hand-in perfect work. No ned for 2nd or 3rd draft. "Unfortunately" I always asked my dd to do the assignment on her own, and if she had to do a 2nd or 3rd draft, so be it. At least she is learning, the dos and donts.

Not fair leh, all these assignments are graded. But what to do, I O Sim. Must fall then she can learn how to stand, i cant hold her hand forever!

My philosophy is the same as yours. Let them do it on their own and take ownership of their projects and homework. GEP is a learning process and the skills they take away from doing projects on their own will serve them well in future.

Definitely jtoh. My philosophy is, even if they dont score an A (because all others kids' work were really perfect), i'm happy as the work my kid hand in is truely her work. She learnt a lot. This will definitely help in her secondary & JC. My dd has no problem writing a long report on her own (20 to 40 pages) with contents, titles, subtitles, references, etc. She will check for spelling and grammar mistakes and presentation of the report. (hahaha.... she doesnt want to do 2nd and 3rd draft mah)
Last edited by Lynn2010 on Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lynn2010
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Lynn2010 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:55 pm

Flowermonaster wrote:
verykiasu2010 wrote:
My friend and her hubby are seriously doing the (GEP) project works and collect data/details and stay late until 2 am, etc....Not much contribution form the child. Then it really defeats the purpose.

How old is your friend's child? I hope they have the energy to do his/her homework in secondary school, JC and university.

child's age is of no concern. of concern is the age of the parents if you consider uni and post grad research or post PhD research etc[/quote]
:rotflmao:[/quote]

Flowermonaster, then it will be a win win bcos, father and mother can also graduate together with the child. Kill 3 birds with one stone

Lynn2010
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Flowermonaster » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:04 pm

Lynn2010 wrote:
Flowermonaster wrote:
verykiasu2010 wrote:
My friend and her hubby are seriously doing the (GEP) project works and collect data/details and stay late until 2 am, etc....Not much contribution form the child. Then it really defeats the purpose.

How old is your friend's child? I hope they have the energy to do his/her homework in secondary school, JC and university.

child's age is of no concern. of concern is the age of the parents if you consider uni and post grad research or post PhD research etc .
:rotflmao:

Flowermonaster, then it will be a win win bcos, father and mother can also graduate together with the child. Kill 3 birds with one stone

Think your quotes all got mixed-up.
:itwasntme:
I was the one :rotflmao: only leh..... :?
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Flowermonaster
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Snow Crystal » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:27 pm

Why are parents helping their kids to do projects so that they can ace and get high marks? 3 letter word: DSA
Why are parents so free and keen to send their kids to GEP Prep class in P3 to ensure DD or DS gets into GEP? 3 letter word: DSA

If say only 20 seats in RI and HCI DSA each is reserved for GEP and purely via entrance tests in the form of eg HAST, ie no relation to GEP results, all the parents will not be bothered to be so involved nor concerned in the GEP projects. The GEP kids also won't feel pressurized to get 8x% to avoid the GAT test.

Someone in MOE should look into the whole issue and understand where the root problem lies...Let the GEP students enter the program naturally and more importantly be the sole benefactors to enjoy the program without parental involvement...

Juz my two cents worth. I have no kids in GEP. Pls don't flame ... :pokeeye:

Snow Crystal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby PiggyLalala » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:27 pm

Any idea what is the percentage of the GE pupils who fail to get into the IP schools each year?

PiggyLalala
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Lynn2010 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:31 pm

Flowermonaster wrote:Flowermonaster, then it will be a win win bcos, father and mother can also graduate together with the child. Kill 3 birds with one stone

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:[/quote]

I got excited with the "Kill 3 birds with 1 stone" mah. :razz:

I need my mother to help me with this...... "i quote quote quote" - all sa la

Lynn2010
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby jtoh » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:10 pm

PiggyLalala wrote:Any idea what is the percentage of the GE pupils who fail to get into the IP schools each year?

I don't think there are official figures on this, because many who don't get in via DSA will eventually get in via PSLE. Of course there are those who choose not to go to IP schools and those who don't do well enough to, but I think the number for these is quite small.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby fightingmom » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:15 pm

Lynn2010 wrote:
Flowermonaster wrote:Flowermonaster, then it will be a win win bcos, father and mother can also graduate together with the child. Kill 3 birds with one stone

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I got excited with the "Kill 3 birds with 1 stone" mah. :razz:

I need my mother to help me with this...... "i quote quote quote" - all sa la[/quote]

You need your mother to help or your mother say wan ? :evil:

fightingmom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sleepy » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:27 pm

PiggyLalala wrote:Any idea what is the percentage of the GE pupils who fail to get into the IP schools each year?

If I remember correctly, the statistics that principal shown us, 30% didn't receive any DSA offer. Statistics only referring to dd's school.

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:24 pm

sleepy wrote:

If I remember correctly, the statistics that principal shown us, 30% didn't receive any DSA offer. Statistics only referring to dd's school.

That's the DSA offer figure for your dd's school. I believe most of the others will probably get into IP schools via PSLE results.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres