LEARNConcierge

All About GEP

Academic support and discussions for GEP

GEP screening test? Go or no Go

Poll ended at Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:26 pm

Must Go
7
35%
Can Try
11
55%
Don't Go
2
10%
 
Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby ForumWriter » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:10 pm

Don't know what you guys think, but personally I am vehemently against DSA.

If the kid is good enough to get into top school, good. No point for DSA to exist.

If the kid isn't good enough to get into top schools normally but gets in through DSA, there is a very high chance that he/she will suffer throughout the rest of his/her secondary school life. DSA does more harm than good here.

So, what is the point of DSA, other than benefiting the school then they select sportsmen?

I have a strong inclination to believe that DSA is also one of the primary underlying factors behind this current trend in favour of tuition.

IP is also another poor scheme, in my opinion, which leads to increased tuition because everyone tries to get into IP schools so that they can skip O-levels. The mindset seems to be, "Chiong in Primary school, get into IP, then can slack until A-levels", therefore, everyone is going for tuition.

Most of my friends also felt that IP was inferior to the O-level system since the only change was more project work - which parents here have rightly pointed out, is unfair because some parents end up doing the projects instead. But now that the IP schools are introducing more varied modules and educational trips, hopefully it is better than in the past.

I am fully in support of IP schools setting a strict (not necessarily difficult) test every year where a pass is mandatory; failing which, students will be expelled. The intention of IP was to let those who are good enough skip O-levels. It was never meant to be a passport to the A-levels regardless of how one performed in his time at the school.

ForumWriter
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:32 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: All About GEP

Postby verykiasu2010 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:44 am

ForumWriter wrote:
IP is also another poor scheme, in my opinion, which leads to increased tuition because everyone tries to get into IP schools so that they can skip O-levels. The mindset seems to be, "Chiong in Primary school, get into IP, then can slack until A-levels", therefore, everyone is going for tuition.

Most of my friends also felt that IP was inferior to the O-level system since the only change was more project work - which parents here have rightly pointed out, is unfair because some parents end up doing the projects instead. But now that the IP schools are introducing more varied modules and educational trips, hopefully it is better than in the past.



people should go an find out the full curriculum offered by the various IP schools first before making judgement whether good or bad
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 11696
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:06 pm
Total Likes: 2


Re: All About GEP

Postby jtoh » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:06 am

verykiasu2010 wrote:
ForumWriter wrote:
IP is also another poor scheme, in my opinion, which leads to increased tuition because everyone tries to get into IP schools so that they can skip O-levels. The mindset seems to be, "Chiong in Primary school, get into IP, then can slack until A-levels", therefore, everyone is going for tuition.

Most of my friends also felt that IP was inferior to the O-level system since the only change was more project work - which parents here have rightly pointed out, is unfair because some parents end up doing the projects instead. But now that the IP schools are introducing more varied modules and educational trips, hopefully it is better than in the past.



people should go an find out the full curriculum offered by the various IP schools first before making judgement whether good or bad


I agree.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 11186
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:47 pm
Total Likes: 100


Re: All About GEP

Postby PiggyLalala » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:17 am

jtoh wrote:
verykiasu2010 wrote:
ForumWriter wrote:
IP is also another poor scheme, in my opinion, which leads to increased tuition because everyone tries to get into IP schools so that they can skip O-levels. The mindset seems to be, "Chiong in Primary school, get into IP, then can slack until A-levels", therefore, everyone is going for tuition.

Most of my friends also felt that IP was inferior to the O-level system since the only change was more project work - which parents here have rightly pointed out, is unfair because some parents end up doing the projects instead. But now that the IP schools are introducing more varied modules and educational trips, hopefully it is better than in the past.



people should go an find out the full curriculum offered by the various IP schools first before making judgement whether good or bad


Personally I quite like the curriculum in my son's school - an IP school.
As a parent, I would hope that my child can go to an IP school but would not be overly bother whether he is in GE or not.

PiggyLalala
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 4053
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 8:11 pm
Total Likes: 23


Re: All About GEP

Postby Nebbermind » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:02 am

Snow Crystal wrote:Why are parents helping their kids to do projects so that they can ace and get high marks? 3 letter word: DSA

Certainly a sweeping statement :roll:

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 15824
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:40 am
Total Likes: 157



Re: All About GEP

Postby cluelessmama » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:32 am

Frankly, I don't understand why there are all these GEP, DSA or IP "bashing" - I don't intend to offend anybody.

Just to share my experience : I can see that my dd has benefitted a lot from gep, and my dd agrees with this view. Prior to gep, she was very bored with the "easy yet repetitive" school work and thus was dreamland most of her time. Even though she did not suffer academically, I could see she was literally "wilting". She only became "alived" after joining the gep. Yes, sometimes the workload might become heavier due to projects and competition. However, she is not complaining. Sometimes, I offered to help vet her draft but she would flatly refused by saying:"No, thank you." However, when it comes to buying materials for her project, she will let me do the "footwork."

Fortunately, dd has done fairly well for cas and sas for the last 2 years and sa1 for this year. She knows that the results are important for applying for DSA. She knows too that she will mostly like enter schools which offer IP if she does well - she has told me on many occasions that she wants to be in IP coz she thinks that it is a continuation of what she does in gep. She likes project works and enjoys challenges.

On my part, I see the DSA as a blessing. I can see that my dd has really worked hard to perform well while enjoying herself. Because of this, I have not really "pushed" her or put pressure on her to achieve extremely high score for the PSLE. I just want to use these few months (or weeks) to revise and prepare normally for PSLE; I do not want her to feel like she's cooped up in a pressure cooker. Incidentally, this is what she said yesterday :" I think this is my most relaxed year!" - I hope this strategy of mine worked, and will not be overly shocked by her PSLE results! :xedfingers:

Thanks for reading.

cluelessmama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 350
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:05 am
Total Likes: 1


Re: All About GEP

Postby 8228 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:09 am

There is a SS prelim on Aug 14. What is it for? :?

8228
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 615
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:47 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: All About GEP

Postby HAPPYH » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:17 am

jtoh wrote:
HAPPYH wrote:
My friend and her hubby are seriously doing the (GEP) project works and collect data/details and stay late until 2 am, etc....Not much contribution form the child. Then it really defeats the purpose.


How old is your friend's child? I hope they have the energy to do his/her homework in secondary school, JC and university.


P5 now. I also warned them but they dont want to lose out.

HAPPYH
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1568
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:58 am
Total Likes: 5


Re: All About GEP

Postby HAPPYH » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:21 am

verykiasu2010 wrote:
jtoh wrote:
Haha! The parents will be studying with their kid way into retirement age.


then GEP = Granny's Education Program


:laugh:

HAPPYH
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1568
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:58 am
Total Likes: 5


Re: All About GEP

Postby HAPPYH » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:25 am

verykiasu2010 wrote:
jtoh wrote:
HAPPYH wrote:
My friend and her hubby are seriously doing the (GEP) project works and collect data/details and stay late until 2 am, etc....Not much contribution form the child. Then it really defeats the purpose.


How old is your friend's child? I hope they have the energy to do his/her homework in secondary school, JC and university.


child's age is of no concern. of concern is the age of the parents if you consider uni and post grad research or post PhD research etc


:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

HAPPYH
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1568
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:58 am
Total Likes: 5


PreviousNext

Return to GEP

LEARNConcierge