35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby jtoh » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:57 pm

Nebbermind wrote:There was a yr when the ACSP students got played out by the ACSI coz a significant no. did not get CO vs almost 100% the prev yr...or so I was told.

That's true. That's why many of them went over to RI. :)

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Flowermonaster » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:14 pm

ksi wrote:
Nebbermind wrote:Perhaps they didn't want parents to take it too lightly :evil:

Why parents? Shouldn't it be the children? :evil: :rotflmao:

If it's not Important, parents might ask their kids to concentrate on PSLE subjects instead of studying for SS. :evil:

Flowermonaster
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sleepy » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:53 pm

nansk wrote:Just curious, if they don't get a DSA offer, does it mean they didn't get into the IP school via their PSLE score as well?

No idea if the remaining 30% went to IP schools or neighbourhood schools le

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Snow Crystal » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:03 pm

Nebbermind wrote:There was a yr when the ACSP students got played out by the ACSI coz a significant no. did not get CO vs almost 100% the prev yr...or so I was told.

You mean the GEPpers? Maybe the earlier batch ie the almost 100% CO batch the previous year play out ACSI first ie many of them could have multiple COs and accepted the RI COs instead of ACSI. So ACSI was disappointed, review the process and give less COs to the subsequent batch of ACSP GEPpers. Even the top ACSP GEPper last year went to RI.

Snow Crystal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ForumWriter » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:22 pm

jtoh wrote:
verykiasu2010 wrote:
ForumWriter wrote:
IP is also another poor scheme, in my opinion, which leads to increased tuition because everyone tries to get into IP schools so that they can skip O-levels. The mindset seems to be, "Chiong in Primary school, get into IP, then can slack until A-levels", therefore, everyone is going for tuition.

Most of my friends also felt that IP was inferior to the O-level system since the only change was more project work - which parents here have rightly pointed out, is unfair because some parents end up doing the projects instead. But now that the IP schools are introducing more varied modules and educational trips, hopefully it is better than in the past.

people should go an find out the full curriculum offered by the various IP schools first before making judgement whether good or bad

I agree.

Being in one of the batches of GEP to be converted to IP halfway through secondary school, out of only three such batches, I think I know the difference in curriculum pretty well. I think I know more than people who haven't been through it. Maybe, you should find out about the curriculum, instead of reading only the positive stuff in the media.

Of course, you will never see these reports in the papers, I don't blame you.

In a post-exam forum about the effectiveness of the IP with the RI's deputy principal, Ms Tan, one of the GEP guys stood up and compared the curriculum with the O-levels. There were many points about projects taking up too much time and not related to the syllabus. Also, there was a comment about the GPA system and that people just needed minimal effort to pass instead of needing to work hard like the O-level system. Almost the entire auditorium cheered at his feedback - an indication that they supported his comments.

Her reply? No logic at all and not even related to the feedback. She told him off for wasting her time and even belittled him by instructing him to "go home and do a research paper" before coming back to her. A forum became a scolding session. Interesting to see how the deputy principals from top schools can't handle constructive feedback.

Yes, I don't mind naming her here because there are at least a few hundred other guys who witnessed her statements and her uncalled-for outburst.

If they are going to suppress negative opinions about IP everywhere, of course you guys who have never experienced it personally will think it's good.

Oh, and a top IP school is dissolving a few CCAs and SIGs (student interest groups) and reducing training times secretly. Maybe it's because they've realised that their students are performing worse and worse every year. While the reason for this isn't announced, the only change in recent years is the advent of IP and DSA. Off-the-record interviews were conducted with certain school authorities, but the principal herself sounded astonished at the news and her information contradicted that of the CCA heads and other teachers.

ForumWriter
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby atutor2001 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:40 pm

Hi ForumWriter

One of my kid could be your friend. Anyway, what you have written is similar to what I heard from my child.

The comment about the GPA needing minimal effort to pass is very true. All my kids had honey moon for 5 years. 2 have already survived the system because they woke up a couple of months before A level. However, my last one is a real worry - still having honey moon.

atutor2001
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:38 am

ForumWriter wrote:
Being in one of the batches of GEP to be converted to IP halfway through secondary school, out of only three such batches, I think I know the difference in curriculum pretty well. I think I know more than people who haven't been through it. Maybe, you should find out about the curriculum, instead of reading only the positive stuff in the media.

Of course, you will never see these reports in the papers, I don't blame you.

In a post-exam forum about the effectiveness of the IP with the RI's deputy principal, Ms Tan, one of the GEP guys stood up and compared the curriculum with the O-levels. There were many points about projects taking up too much time and not related to the syllabus. Also, there was a comment about the GPA system and that people just needed minimal effort to pass instead of needing to work hard like the O-level system. Almost the entire auditorium cheered at his feedback - an indication that they supported his comments.

Her reply? No logic at all and not even related to the feedback. She told him off for wasting her time and even belittled him by instructing him to "go home and do a research paper" before coming back to her. A forum became a scolding session. Interesting to see how the deputy principals from top schools can't handle constructive feedback.

Yes, I don't mind naming her here because there are at least a few hundred other guys who witnessed her statements and her uncalled-for outburst.

If they are going to suppress negative opinions about IP everywhere, of course you guys who have never experienced it personally will think it's good.

Oh, and a top IP school is dissolving a few CCAs and SIGs (student interest groups) and reducing training times secretly. Maybe it's because they've realised that their students are performing worse and worse every year. While the reason for this isn't announced, the only change in recent years is the advent of IP and DSA. Off-the-record interviews were conducted with certain school authorities, but the principal herself sounded astonished at the news and her information contradicted that of the CCA heads and other teachers.

what is "being GEP .... to be .. converted to IP half way" ? GEP ends at sec 2. Unless you are saying after sec 1 they have no more GEP for the SBGE at sec school due to the IP ? :?

if the students, be it IP or O level, just think of passing or just aim for promotion to the next year, then they deserve just that and nothing more

may be those I know of come from different "clique" - they work hard to reach the top and they enjoy the enriched / accelerated curriculum instead of merely mugging for a distinction in the subject at O level at the end of the year. They receive early admission decision from the top uni even before A level result is known

they enjoy the enriched curriculum being not the same as the O level covered in non-IP school, they enjoy the philo and RE which are not in non-IP schools, they like the compulsory social studies and examine the issues of currygate etc, as an example. To me, it is progressive and forward looking instead of studying in a box. No issue with standard O level per se - I have another child just received an award from the school for outstanding O level results

but if the students wish to be same as O level, then why enroll in an IP school ? there are plenty of good O level schools around. don't they know each IP school is different and runs their own IP curriculum ? For example, you can't compare what is offered between HCI / RI / NYGH / DHS. Each have their own different emphasis even if the scope of the core syllabus looks similar

the selling point of IP has been the enriched syllabus, and the gap semester being used to do something else instead of drilling for O levels. And their A level results speak for themselves, the uni admission to Ivies / Oxbridge speak for itself, the number of students securing a uni scholarship speak for itself

Is CCAs at conflict with the IP syllabus ? strange that you bring in the CCA hours here as part of the gripe against IP.

My other child in non-IP school also has a very punishing schedule for CCA, no difference from the core / competitive sports CCA in an IP school.
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Snow Crystal » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:24 am

verykiasu2010 wrote:what is "being GEP .... to be .. converted to IP half way" ? GEP ends at sec 2. Unless you are saying after sec 1 they have no more GEP for the SBGE at sec school due to the IP ? :?

I read it as the writer belongs to one of the pioneer batch students who got converted to through train during his Sec 2 or Sec 3 year due to implementation of IP in 2005. :? :shrug:

Snow Crystal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:26 am

Snow Crystal wrote:
verykiasu2010 wrote:what is "being GEP .... to be .. converted to IP half way" ? GEP ends at sec 2. Unless you are saying after sec 1 they have no more GEP for the SBGE at sec school due to the IP ? :?

I read it as the writer belongs to one of the pioneer batch students who got converted to through train during his Sec 2 or Sec 3 year due to implementation of IP in 2005. :? :shrug:

I know; but GEP for sec school ends at sec 2
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Snow Crystal » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:27 am

ForumWriter wrote:Oh, and a top IP school is dissolving a few CCAs and SIGs (student interest groups) and reducing training times secretly. Maybe it's because they've realised that their students are performing worse and worse every year. While the reason for this isn't announced, the only change in recent years is the advent of IP and DSA. Off-the-record interviews were conducted with certain school authorities, but the principal herself sounded astonished at the news and her information contradicted that of the CCA heads and other teachers.

Oh interesting, I thought this IP is dissolving the few CCAs due to probably internal review of cost or medal records. Didn't know got different angle...

Snow Crystal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres