Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby verykiasu2010 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:29 am

Snow Crystal wrote:
ForumWriter wrote:Oh, and a top IP school is dissolving a few CCAs and SIGs (student interest groups) and reducing training times secretly. Maybe it's because they've realised that their students are performing worse and worse every year. While the reason for this isn't announced, the only change in recent years is the advent of IP and DSA. Off-the-record interviews were conducted with certain school authorities, but the principal herself sounded astonished at the news and her information contradicted that of the CCA heads and other teachers.

Oh interesting, I thought this IP is dissolving the few CCAs due to probably internal review of cost or medal records. Didn't know got different angle...

wow, secretly reducing training times ..... secretly .... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: just wondering whether the students involved had to take an oath on secrecy ....
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:49 pm

atutor2001 wrote: The comment about the GPA needing minimal effort to pass is very true. All my kids had honey moon for 5 years. 2 have already survived the system because they woke up a couple of months before A level. However, my last one is a real worry - still having honey moon.

But even in non-IP schools, you donch need to do especially well to get a promotion, ya?

I remember we had O level to wake us up...and so we worked hard for maybe 6 mths...but after that, we slacked for another yr in JC1 too coz promotion was easy too.

Why blame IP? :scratchhead:

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Zann » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:09 pm

Nebbermind wrote:
atutor2001 wrote: The comment about the GPA needing minimal effort to pass is very true. All my kids had honey moon for 5 years. 2 have already survived the system because they woke up a couple of months before A level. However, my last one is a real worry - still having honey moon.

But even in non-IP schools, you donch need to do especially well to get a promotion, ya?

I remember we had O level to wake us up...and so we worked hard for maybe 6 mths...but after that, we slacked for another yr in JC1 too coz promotion was easy too.

Will it be too late for A level preparation if the kids only buck up a yr 6?

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:18 pm

Zann wrote:
Nebbermind wrote:

for the bright ones, no problem. I have seen JC 1 people spending 6 days a week at CCA, attend lectures in the morning, hardly do tutorials due to CCA competition (every year must win championship type), hardly scrape through promo exam to JC 2 .... and start engine at June school holidays....still came out with 3 A level 'A's plus a C ...... the teachers almost have heart attack because of him .... LOL
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:19 pm

Zann wrote:
Nebbermind wrote:

for the bright ones, no problem. I have seen JC 1 people spending 6 days a week at CCA, attend lectures in the morning, hardly do tutorials due to CCA competition (every year must win championship type), hardly scrape through promo exam to JC 2 .... and start engine at June school holidays....still came out with 3 A level 'A's plus a C ...... the teachers almost have heart attack because of him .... LOL
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Kiasucy » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:26 pm

Nebbermind wrote:

Say in RI, wouldn't the yr4 result affect their choice of subject combination in yr 5 n 6? Or affect their sch approval for them to take 4 H2 subjects? Was told in some ip schools it will. :?

Kiasucy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby atutor2001 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:33 pm

Zann wrote:
Nebbermind wrote:

2 of my kids have done it that way. Determination is the key. Intelligence level just above average can liao.

Actually, it is the culture of the school that matters. If it is happening every year in the school where students who failure at prelim can get all A's at A level, the students will develop the confidence or "howlianness" that "others can do it so can I". So to them it is normal - nothing to brag about.

However, not sure if it is happening only in this particular IP school or all top IP schools. As for normal IP schools, I think better don't try.
Last edited by atutor2001 on Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

atutor2001
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:34 pm

Kiasucy wrote:
Nebbermind wrote:

Say in RI, wouldn't the yr4 result affect their choice of subject combination in yr 5 n 6? Or affect their sch approval for them to take 4 H2 subjects? Was told in some ip schools it will. :?

yes it affects the number of H2 to be offered, but subject combination at year 5 is dependent on what was done at year 4, & of course some H2 subjects do not require prior knowledge

currently, year 3/4 's core subjects are ELA, MT or HMT, 2x math & SS, plus 3 electives
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby atutor2001 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:43 pm

Nebbermind wrote:

IP is more slack than normal O level. They teach by modules so kids learn and forget after each test. Come JC, they have forgotten how to take exam where all topics are tested at the same time as they have spent the last 4 years having tests by topics format.

As to project works, it is a joke. The only good is that it exposes to them the ugliness of human kind because there are many who leeched on others in the project team but will still get the same A.

atutor2001
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:04 am

atutor2001 wrote: IP is more slack than normal O level. They teach by modules so kids learn and forget after each test. Come JC, they have forgotten how to take exam where all topics are tested at the same time as they have spent the last 4 years having tests by topics format.

As to project works, it is a joke. The only good is that it exposes to them the ugliness of human kind because there are many who leeched on others in the project team but will still get the same A.

A valid explanation. I guess every system has its own merits and it's up to us to choose wisely.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

LEARNConcierge