55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby 8228 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:28 am

keroppi wrote:
Nebbermind wrote:
keroppi wrote: Got. Must pass SS and score above 250 for PSLE.

Yes for 1st part, and NO for 2nd (double confirm) :wink:

But this was officially communicated to us by the MOE person who came down to the school give a talk on DSA last year. Maybe there are exceptions, I wouldn't know. Arrgh .. don't appear in front of me like that, your leaf still very distracting leh. Wanna pluck it off. :stompfeet:

During the MTP session for P6 GEPpers in my dc's school early this year, there was no mention of t-score as per the MOE website below.

http://www.moe.gov.sg/initiatives/edusa ... rds/eesis/

For mainstreamers:

The EESIS are awarded up to the top one-third of the total number of Secondary One pupils admitted to all Independent Schools (IS), based on their PSLE results.

For GEPpers:

The EESIS is also awarded to P6 GEP pupils who are Singapore Citizens and who
1.meet the P6 GEP promotion criteria, and
2.are enrolled in the IP in an Independent School at S11.

BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby jtoh » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:17 am

If it was officially communicated by the GEP official as keroppi says, then I believe it's a new initiative. The GEP officials will have the most accurate information, over and above what the school says.

In any case, I don't think it's a big deal because most GEP students will be able to score >250, especially those who are able to gain entry into IS/IP schools via DSA or S1 Central Posting. Those who gain entry into IS/IP schools via DSA and score <250 are few and far between, especially as schools are getting more selective in their DSA COs.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby keroppi » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:09 pm

jtoh wrote:If it was officially communicated by the GEP official as keroppi says, then I believe it's a new initiative. The GEP officials will have the most accurate information, over and above what the school says.

In any case, I don't think it's a big deal because most GEP students will be able to score >250, especially those who are able to gain entry into IS/IP schools via DSA or S1 Central Posting. Those who gain entry into IS/IP schools via DSA and score <250 are few and far between, especially as schools are getting more selective in their DSA COs.

I agree. From what I have observed, almost all GE kids can easily score above 250. So 250 is nothing to worry about.

The talk we had was very comprehensive, they told us they were closing the gap on transfers (kids have accept DSA CO and then transfer after S1 posting) and they implemented it that year. We were even shown the percentage of GEP kids who managed to get a CO for DSA over the last few years and a lot of other information.

keroppi
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby HVR » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:58 pm

keroppi wrote:
jtoh wrote:If it was officially communicated by the GEP official as keroppi says, then I believe it's a new initiative. The GEP officials will have the most accurate information, over and above what the school says.

I agree. From what I have observed, almost all GE kids can easily score above 250. So 250 is nothing to worry about.

The talk we had was very comprehensive, they told us they were closing the gap on transfers (kids have accept DSA CO and then transfer after S1 posting) and they implemented it that year. We were even shown the percentage of GEP kids who managed to get a CO for DSA over the last few years and a lot of other information.

Hi may i know which time of the year is the talk? Thanks.

HVR
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby hamster » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:10 pm

Hello everyone,

With regards to the GEP test, my DD is not strong in English, she is very good in Math, I would like to know if those students weak in English language is in disadvantage?

Thanks!

hamster
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby 8228 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:23 am

hamster wrote:Hello everyone,

With regards to the GEP test, my DD is not strong in English, she is very good in Math, I would like to know if those students weak in English language is in disadvantage?

Thanks!

According to my dc1 who took the GEP tests 3 years ago, the English test was more like an IQ test. But there were some vocab questions when my dc2 took the test last year. So, the tests could be quite different each year.

BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Nebbermind » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:29 am

HVR wrote: Hi may i know which time of the year is the talk? Thanks.

The talks should be long over...probably 2nd term?

I remember it was before the DSA exercise.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:33 am

Thanks!

Actually, in general, not being strong in English in SG is always a disadvantage.

My sincere advice is to buck up on English esp in pri school coz it will only get tougher later on.

I've seen kids with pretty good psle...240ish....struggled to pass 'o' english. Not very good sign coz that really limits your subsequent choice of courses.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hamster » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:01 pm

Nebbermind wrote:

Thanks!

Actually, in general, not being strong in English in SG is always a disadvantage.

My sincere advice is to buck up on English esp in pri school coz it will only get tougher later on.

I've seen kids with pretty good psle...240ish....struggled to pass 'o' english. Not very good sign coz that really limits your subsequent choice of courses.

Yes I agreed! My DD know she is weak in English and she is trying to buck up on English. She told me she has butterflies whenever she took the English test and exam.. She is so afraid she din do well or fail.

I have to monitor her if she is getting to much stress for the English subject, been telling her to relax don’t think too much. I hope she will get better when she goes upper primary level.

hamster
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby trileets » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:01 pm

May I know what's the Eng paper next Tue for P5? Situational writing or compo? What's Eng Paper 4?

trileets
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres