35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby Just4Good » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:13 pm

trileets wrote:May I know what's the Eng paper next Tue for P5? Situational writing or compo? What's Eng Paper 4?

I know that for P4, "Paper 4" is actually Oral. Not really sure, but I think it is the same for P5.

Just4Good
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby janice_0950 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:31 am

Hi all mommies here,

Yesterday news out!
My boy p3 selected for 2nd GEP exams on 16 & 17th Oct. Exams wil be hold at other school.Bag
English paper and general ability paper...and follow by next subject on the next day. I have no ideas what are general ability paper.
Anyone here had already went thru p3 papers?

Regarding this GEP seemed very new to me.:(

Thank in advance.

:)

janice_0950
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Flowermonaster » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:24 pm

janice_0950 wrote:Hi all mommies here,

Yesterday news out!
My boy p3 selected for 2nd GEP exams on 16 & 17th Oct. Exams wil be hold at other school.Bag
English paper and general ability paper...and follow by next subject on the next day. I have no ideas what are general ability paper.
Anyone here had already went thru p3 papers?

Regarding this GEP seemed very new to me.:(

Thank in advance.

:)

Congrats to you & your DS. :rahrah:
Yes my DS took the 2nd round selection test but unfortunately I am unable to help you as he don't remember anything.

Flowermonaster
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janice_0950 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:04 pm

hi flowermonaster?
thank you for replied.
congrats you too!!!

janice_0950
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Flowermonaster » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:15 pm

janice_0950 wrote:hi flowermonaster?
thank you for replied.
congrats you too!!!

Thanks Janice_0950, but he took it 3 years ago. :oops:
He completed his GEP this year.

Flowermonaster
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Miracle Child » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:05 pm

Hi Flowermonaster,

Did your DS enjoy the GEP curriculum through the 3 years? Do you think he benefit from the GEP system?

Were the projects very time-consuming? A lot of parent's involvement? How did you prepare him for PSLE (which I understand that under GEP, PSLE curriculum is not covered under very late)? Thanks.

Miracle Child
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby cluelessmama » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:25 pm

Miracle Child wrote:Hi Flowermonaster,

Did your DS enjoy the GEP curriculum through the 3 years? Do you think he benefit from the GEP system?

Were the projects very time-consuming? A lot of parent's involvement? How did you prepare him for PSLE (which I understand that under GEP, PSLE curriculum is not covered under very late)? Thanks.

hi miracle child, my child is in the gep p6 this year. She has always said that these have been the 3 best years so far. Yes, the rigour of programme could have been demanding at times, she has nevertheless enjoyed herself very much.From her experience, i think p5 is the most hectic due to lots of competition and the irs/ivp.

Hope the info helps. :lol:

cluelessmama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Flowermonaster » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:46 pm

Hi Miracle Child, he has no regrets joining the GEP & yes he did enjoy the program. My DS is the laid-back type, hence, P4 to him was the toughest year as he was very unorganized, untidy & did not know how to prioritize his work. We were told not to get involved by the school hence we did not monitor his school work until one fine day we got call from his Teacher that he didn't hand up his work on time. That's where we really wake up & make sure he gets his work/projects/assignments done on time. I believe parents have to be involved in a way to ensure that the kids are doing their part. Of course if the kid is really independent then there is really not much involvement require except providing him/her materials for the project.
We make it a point to remind him his deadline, teach him how to prioritize & get him to clear his homework daily even when they are not due tomorrow. P5 was a hectic & fruitful year. He got used to the GE curriculum & was able to handle deadline & schedule his work without much reminder from us. To minmise any "heart attack" from him, I still check his project/assignment deadline & reminded him a week before they were due. P6 was really a breeze, the checking & nagging from me was really minimum. My absence minded & laid back DS is finally able to do his homework, complete his assignments on time without much nagging from me. I can really see his transformation, although he is still absence minded & laid-back but the number of time he forgot to bring his homework to school has cut down tremendously from at least twice weekly to once in 3-4 months & I do see him putting in effort in his work.
Did the GE program prepare them well for PSLE? Its very difficult to answer as they are well prepare in certain areas but not so in others. I think the main disadvantage is that the GEP exam format & requirement are different from PSLE. They have been taught & tested on the GEP exam format & requirement for 2.5 years & only have 3-4months to learn & get used to the PSLE format & requirement. To me, I think it's a blessing that they only have 3-4months to prepare as after their GE exam & DSA, they were given lots of past-years papers to practice & my DS simply got bored after the 2nd month. He can't wait for PSLE to come & go. :smile:

Flowermonaster
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby HVR » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:49 pm

Nebbermind wrote:
HVR wrote: Hi may i know which time of the year is the talk? Thanks.

The talks should be long over...probably 2nd term?

I remember it was before the DSA exercise.

Thanks. My dd will involve in DSA next year.

HVR
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Miracle Child » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:04 pm

Flowermonaster wrote:

Hi Miracle Child, he has no regrets joining the GEP & yes he did enjoy the program. My DS is the laid-back type, hence, P4 to him was the toughest year as he was very unorganized, untidy & did not know how to prioritize his work. We were told not to get involved by the school hence we did not monitor his school work until one fine day we got call from his Teacher that he didn't hand up his work on time. That's where we really wake up & make sure he gets his work/projects/assignments done on time. I believe parents have to be involved in a way to ensure that the kids are doing their part. Of course if the kid is really independent then there is really not much involvement require except providing him/her materials for the project.
We make it a point to remind him his deadline, teach him how to prioritize & get him to clear his homework daily even when they are not due tomorrow. P5 was a hectic & fruitful year. He got used to the GE curriculum & was able to handle deadline & schedule his work without much reminder from us. To minmise any "heart attack" from him, I still check his project/assignment deadline & reminded him a week before they were due. P6 was really a breeze, the checking & nagging from me was really minimum. My absence minded & laid back DS is finally able to do his homework, complete his assignments on time without much nagging from me. I can really see his transformation, although he is still absence minded & laid-back but the number of time he forgot to bring his homework to school has cut down tremendously from at least twice weekly to once in 3-4 months & I do see him putting in effort in his work.
Did the GE program prepare them well for PSLE? Its very difficult to answer as they are well prepare in certain areas but not so in others. I think the main disadvantage is that the GEP exam format & requirement are different from PSLE. They have been taught & tested on the GEP exam format & requirement for 2.5 years & only have 3-4months to learn & get used to the PSLE format & requirement. To me, I think it's a blessing that they only have 3-4months to prepare as after their GE exam & DSA, they were given lots of past-years papers to practice & my DS simply got bored after the 2nd month. He can't wait for PSLE to come & go. :smile:

Thanks, Flowermonaster. Looks like your DS matured and developed into a more independent and resposible young man over time....

Miracle Child
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP