35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby Miracle Child » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:58 pm

8228 wrote:Selection test results are out as my friend's child has been selected! Wondering why is it so quiet in this thread?

Because the talk is in the other thread "2012 GEP Screening and Selection". :wink:

Miracle Child
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Flowermonaster » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:37 pm

porcupine12trade wrote:Hi

I have qn. If we live within 2 km of nyps and 4km away from Henry park, is the possibility of going nyps high? Thank you.

If you live nearer to NYPS just put that as first choice & state it's the nearest to your house, the chances of getting in is very high.

Flowermonaster
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 8228 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:39 pm

Endure wrote:How did your friend get to know, my child school is quiet too

The teacher called.

BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby sleepy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:24 am

Hi experienced GEP parents

Would like to seek your advice regarding IRS vs IVP.
Given an option form yesterday to choose between these 2.

Is IVP a group project or individual project? Which did your kid choose?

Overall experience, time commitment, level of difficulty, any feedback greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much for sharing :smile:

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby dagong99 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:59 am

sleepy wrote:Hi experienced GEP parents

Overall experience, time commitment, level of difficulty, any feedback greatly appreciated.

Hi Sleepy,

Would you mind to let me know which school is your DC in ? We too received the Option Form & DS2 puts IVP as his 1st choice but I think it seems to be the toughest among the three options. Any idea if IVP doesn't work out, can we switch back to IRS ? Thanks.

dagong99
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sleepy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:06 am

dagong99 wrote:We too received the Option Form & DS2 puts IVP as his 1st choice but I think it seems to be the toughest among the three options. Any idea if IVP doesn't work out, can we switch back to IRS ? Thanks.

I'm as clueless le, that's why seeking advice from more experienced GEP parents :smile:

Only given 2 options IRS vs IVP to choose 1.

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Mum101 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:10 am

Hi,

Both IRS and IVP can be a group project or individual project. Your child would want to speak to the teacher-in-charge for advise. I think group work would mean more time required to meet and discuss to come out with final 'produc' for submission. Hence, make sure your child can work with his/her peer independantly and effectively. Otherwise, do the product as individual.

I am not sure why FPS (Future Problem Solution) is not mentioned. My son did FPS last year. This is a team project. It was a good decision on his part because everything is done in school. Pupils on this track will attend lectures and tutorials once a week during school hours. Then, they are given practice papers to do. There will be a competition day where the team will be given a future problem scenarion and then they have to brainstorm as a team for solutions and present the solutions. They did the competition at RGS last year. Top 2 team would be selected to go the U.S. for competition in P6 immediately after SA1 result during the June holiday. My son's team came in 3rd so did not get to go which is a blessing in disguise cos he could prepare for PSLE. He received award certifcates and this can be included in DSA application. Note: He only has to stay back after school once a week for like 2 hours so it is really manageable and the best part is that I do not have to worry about it - the children can do everything on their own with teachers as their mentor.

I think if both IRS and IVP would need to spend more time after school to do research and writing including interviewing, data collection and etc for IRS.

Hope this helps.

Mum101
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby porcupine12trade » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:23 am

Flowermonaster wrote:
porcupine12trade wrote:Hi

I have qn. If we live within 2 km of nyps and 4km away from Henry park, is the possibility of going nyps high? Thank you.

If you live nearer to NYPS just put that as first choice & state it's the nearest to your house, the chances of getting in is very high.

Hi flowermonaster

Thank you for the reply. May I check also, if the program is very stressful and "difficult"? I am concerned if my dd can handle. Although she is doing very well in her current school, the thought of doing something different makes me feel lost.

Hi experienced GEP parents,

I would like some feedback on Henry park, I cant seem to find much info abt Henry park. thank you.
Last edited by porcupine12trade on Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

porcupine12trade
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby dagong99 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:01 am

Mum101 wrote:

Hi,

Both IRS and IVP can be a group project or individual project. Your child would want to speak to the teacher-in-charge for advise. I think group work would mean more time required to meet and discuss to come out with final 'produc' for submission. Hence, make sure your child can work with his/her peer independantly and effectively. Otherwise, do the product as individual.

I am not sure why FPS (Future Problem Solution) is not mentioned. My son did FPS last year. This is a team project. It was a good decision on his part because everything is done in school. Pupils on this track will attend lectures and tutorials once a week during school hours. Then, they are given practice papers to do. There will be a competition day where the team will be given a future problem scenarion and then they have to brainstorm as a team for solutions and present the solutions. They did the competition at RGS last year. Top 2 team would be selected to go the U.S. for competition in P6 immediately after SA1 result during the June holiday. My son's team came in 3rd so did not get to go which is a blessing in disguise cos he could prepare for PSLE. He received award certifcates and this can be included in DSA application. Note: He only has to stay back after school once a week for like 2 hours so it is really manageable and the best part is that I do not have to worry about it - the children can do everything on their own with teachers as their mentor.

I think if both IRS and IVP would need to spend more time after school to do research and writing including interviewing, data collection and etc for IRS.

Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot for the info. :wink:

dagong99
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sleepy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:05 am

Mum101 wrote:
I am not sure why FPS (Future Problem Solution) is not mentioned. My son did FPS last year.

Thanks for the info :smile:
FPS sounds good!

No idea why FPS not offered as an option le. Can only choose between IVP and IRS. Seems quite intensive in terms of workload :cry:

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

LEARNConcierge