More info/feedback on IVP vs IRS greatly appreciated :?:

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: All About GEP

Postby dagong99 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:00 pm

sleepy wrote:
Mum101 wrote:
I am not sure why FPS (Future Problem Solution) is not mentioned. My son did FPS last year.

Thanks for the info :smile:
FPS sounds good!

No idea why FPS not offered as an option le. Can only choose between IVP and IRS. Seems quite intensive in terms of workload :cry:

All 3 options, IRS, IVP & FPS are offered in DS2 school. Maybe you can check with your DC teacher.

dagong99
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Kabby » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:40 pm

Can i find out more info on these GEP schools at the briefing this Sat? Or would i do better to ask all of you? :wink:

All the schools are far from us, but these few are nearer the west side.
Nanyang, Henry Park, Nan Hua

Can I ask about CCAs? If my ds is interested in sports like basketball, table tennis or badminton, does he definitely get to join when he transfers in at P4 or is it based on selection tests?

Anyone has experience with siblings transferring into these schools too, or are they just too full without vacancies?

Do GEP kids who transfer in get chance to still take on leadership roles like prefect or CCA captain/ chairman? Or quite rare since they need time to settle in?

THanks. Any other advice is much appreciated.

Kabby
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:54 pm

kabalevsky wrote:Can i find out more info on these GEP schools at the briefing this Sat? Or would i do better to ask all of you? :wink:

Can I ask about CCAs? If my ds is interested in sports like basketball, table tennis or badminton, does he definitely get to join when he transfers in at P4 or is it based on selection tests?

Anyone has experience with siblings transferring into these schools too, or are they just too full without vacancies?

Do GEP kids who transfer in get chance to still take on leadership roles like prefect or CCA captain/ chairman? Or quite rare since they need time to settle in?

The schools will likely have booths set up at the talk so you can ask them specific questions there. Transfer of a younger sibling to the GEP school depends on vacancies available at the time. Usually schools like NYPS will not have any vacancies. Yes, GEP students will have the opportunity to take on leadership roles, just like mainstreamers.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby superksmum » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:53 pm

jtoh wrote:
kabalevsky wrote:Can i find out more info on these GEP schools at the briefing this Sat? Or would i do better to ask all of you? :wink:

The schools will likely have booths set up at the talk so you can ask them specific questions there. Transfer of a younger sibling to the GEP school depends on vacancies available at the time. Usually schools like NYPS will not have any vacancies. Yes, GEP students will have the opportunity to take on leadership roles, just like mainstreamers.

The kids will have equal opportunity to take on leadership roles. If you are looking at school like NYPS, I agreed with jtoh that the chances are really very slim for the younger silbling to be transfer over. Our DD1 has been in NYPS for the past 3 years and she will be graduating this year, however after putting DD2 on Waitlist for 3 years, she is still not being offer a place in NYPS. Like many KSPs had mentioned before the curriculum for all GEP schools are the same as their materials came from the GE branch. Eventually, all GEP kids take the same exam.

superksmum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Kabby » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:13 pm

:thankyou: jtoh and superksmum. really appreciate. :)

very hard to decide... the booth viewing time seems very short, looking at the schedule.. hope i get to ask the Qs i want to ask. :sweat:

Kabby
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Kabby » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:15 pm

superksmum,
for CCA in nyps, did your dd1 get what she wanted? or do the above sports actually require some kind of selection?

afraid that if ds decides to choose that school then find out that cannot join the CCA he wants.

Kabby
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby superksmum » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:52 pm

Kabalevsky

Please see you PM.

superksmum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby superksmum » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:54 pm

kabalevsky wrote::thankyou: jtoh and superksmum. really appreciate. :)

very hard to decide... the booth viewing time seems very short, looking at the schedule.. hope i get to ask the Qs i want to ask. :sweat:

You might like to go down earlier to look at the booth set up by different school.

superksmum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Just4Fun » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:57 pm

superksmum wrote:
kabalevsky wrote::thankyou: jtoh and superksmum. really appreciate. :)

You might like to go down earlier to look at the booth set up by different school.

If yr spouse is coming along, split between 2 of you :). But it may not make sense to talk to all the 9 schools, so do shortlist whichever ones that u are really keen on ...

Just4Fun
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres