All About GEP

Academic support and discussions for GEP

GEP screening test? Go or no Go

Poll ended at Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:26 pm

Must Go
7
35%
Can Try
11
55%
Don't Go
2
10%
 
Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby Nebbermind » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:22 pm

metz wrote: My guess is 'competition' will be most intense at NYPS as there are 4 classes. Impression of ACS is it allows its students to progress at their own pace. HPPS - am still trying to find out more about the school too.


like not many HPPS or ST Hildas parents around here.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 15729
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:40 am
Total Likes: 157


Re: All About GEP

Postby marcolisa » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:12 am

Can anyone advise me about taking CL or HCL? My DS is not good in CL, however the nearest GEP school is Nan Hua, is it a must to take HCL? Is HCL very difficult?

marcolisa
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:27 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: All About GEP

Postby PiggyLalala » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:33 am

marcolisa wrote:Can anyone advise me about taking CL or HCL? My DS is not good in CL, however the nearest GEP school is Nan Hua, is it a must to take HCL? Is HCL very difficult?


Hi,
Why not you check with the Nan Hua teachers at the booth today?
Likely they will advise your child to try for one year. Maybe your child can cope and not do too badly. If he really can't, he can always do the normal chinese next year.

It really depends on the child as to whether HCL is very tough. Some kids actually do better in HCL than normal Chinese. But I think for most kids the mean mark for GEP HCL paper 2 is abt 42 to 48. (Total 60). The overall average mark for HCL shld be in the range of 70s. Of course, the good ones may get above 80 and the weaker ones may score in the range of 60s.

HCL paper 2 comprises of only 3 components, one editing passage, one cloze passage with helping words and comprehension. Normal Chinese paper 2 has more components and many are MCQs.

PiggyLalala
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 4051
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 8:11 pm
Total Likes: 22


Re: All About GEP

Postby dagong99 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:46 am

PiggyLalala wrote:
marcolisa wrote:Can anyone advise me about taking CL or HCL? My DS is not good in CL, however the nearest GEP school is Nan Hua, is it a must to take HCL? Is HCL very difficult?


Hi,
Why not you check with the Nan Hua teachers at the booth today?
Likely they will advise your child to try for one year. Maybe your child can cope and not do too badly. If he really can't, he can always do the normal chinese next year.

It really depends on the child as to whether HCL is very tough. Some kids actually do better in HCL than normal Chinese. But I think for most kids the mean mark for GEP HCL paper 2 is abt 42 to 48. (Total 60). The overall average mark for HCL shld be in the range of 70s. Of course, the good ones may get above 80 and the weaker ones may score in the range of 60s.

HCL paper 2 comprises of only 3 components, one editing passage, one cloze passage with helping words and comprehension. Normal Chinese paper 2 has more components and many are MCQs.


Was given HCL option form yesterday, to qualify for P5 HCL, P4 overall score must achieve the following before you can continue to take HCL in P5

HCL > 50%, EL > 70%, MA> 70%, SC > 70 %, SS> 50%

dagong99
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1745
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:38 am
Total Likes: 6


Re: All About GEP

Postby sleepy » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:04 pm

dagong99 wrote:Was given HCL option form yesterday, to qualify for P5 HCL, P4 overall score must achieve the following before you can continue to take HCL in P5

HCL > 50%, EL > 70%, MA> 70%, SC > 70 %, SS> 50%


No option form in dd's school.

I asked school's HOD during gep briefing last year. Cannot opt out of HCL.

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 9759
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:21 pm
Total Likes: 38



Re: All About GEP

Postby porcupine12trade » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:53 am

Hi parents

May I know the purpose of staying back after school other than for CCA? I understand some schools do and some don't, thank you.

porcupine12trade
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:47 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: All About GEP

Postby sleepy » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:04 am

porcupine12trade wrote:Hi parents

May I know the purpose of staying back after school other than for CCA? I understand some schools do and some don't, thank you.


If school couldn't fit the entire curriculum into stipulated school hours, then no choice but to extend to after school hours.

Compulsory to stay back at least twice a week in dd's school.
Sometimes up to 3 days a week with the 3rd on ad hoc basis, school will inform us.

And for students with remedial, they will need to stay back extra days.

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 9759
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:21 pm
Total Likes: 38


Re: All About GEP

Postby porcupine12trade » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:31 am

sleepy wrote:
porcupine12trade wrote:Hi parents

May I know the purpose of staying back after school other than for CCA? I understand some schools do and some don't, thank you.


If school couldn't fit the entire curriculum into stipulated school hours, then no choice but to extend to after school hours.

Compulsory to stay back at least twice a week in dd's school.
Sometimes up to 3 days a week with the 3rd on ad hoc basis, school will inform us.

And for students with remedial, they will need to stay back extra days.


Thanks, Can I assume schools that don't stay back go/teach faster, coz they can squeeze everything during curriculum time?

porcupine12trade
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:47 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: All About GEP

Postby sleepy » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:38 am

porcupine12trade wrote:Thanks, Can I assume schools that don't stay back go/teach faster, coz they can squeeze everything during curriculum time?


Really no idea. Only know own school, didn't compare another school curriculum.

However, I like Nanyang's timing the best, spreading the extended hours over entire week instead of staying back till 2+pm or 3+pm on certain days. At least more rest time, can be home by 2pm if live reasonably near?

Nanyang would have been my preferred choice. My dd1 is not in Nanyang though, difficulty in transferring dd2 together with dd1. Nanyang is way too popular!

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 9759
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:21 pm
Total Likes: 38


Re: All About GEP

Postby porcupine12trade » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:36 pm

sleepy wrote:
porcupine12trade wrote:Thanks, Can I assume schools that don't stay back go/teach faster, coz they can squeeze everything during curriculum time?


Really no idea. Only know own school, didn't compare another school curriculum.

However, I like Nanyang's timing the best, spreading the extended hours over entire week instead of staying back till 2+pm or 3+pm on certain days. At least more rest time, can be home by 2pm if live reasonably near?

Nanyang would have been my preferred choice. My dd1 is not in Nanyang though, difficulty in transferring dd2 together with dd1. Nanyang is way too popular!


Thanks!

porcupine12trade
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:47 pm
Total Likes: 0


PreviousNext

Return to GEP