All About GEP

Academic support and discussions for GEP
Post Reply

GEP screening test? Go or no Go

Poll ended at Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:26 pm

Must Go
7
35%
Can Try
11
55%
Don't Go
2
10%
 
Total votes: 20

Guest

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:31 am

2ppaamm wrote:
ks2me wrote:
2ppaamm wrote:And don't forget, besides the GEP branch, there's the EG branch. Those there are even 'creamier'. :lol: Tops when it comes to brains.


True, but typically these will go into inventions and very difficult things normal people find it hard to do. People dynamics may not be their forte.

Yep!! Bingo! High IQ does not equate high salary. Most end up being inventors.


Without any disrespect for the highly, exceptionally, gifted people as I value that they are special indeed and can contribute in big ways to mankind, I just want to say that parents should not always dream that their child should be gifted. I feel that gifted people are blessed with the gift for a purpose and that is definitely not about making money.

MdmKS
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Posts: 497
Joined: Mon Mar 09,

Post by MdmKS » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:32 am

Way2GO wrote:
2ppaamm wrote:
The teacher who told me didn't really explain. Her exact words are that the minister told the parents that they are looking for that one or 2 only. I guess it is to groom as top leader... not sure. But that's about right, don't you think? How can there be 500 leaders every year?

Heard in a recent briefing by AD, GE Br that they found ~ 10 exceptionally gifted children since they started tracking.


My fren son got selected for GEP Mathsmaster class and later received a letter calling him "Highly Gifted". Duno whether he kena tracked?

Way2GO
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 4487
Joined: Fri Nov 13,
Total Likes:4

Post by Way2GO » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:33 am

I would think these children would be exceptionally gifted in specific disciplines. Would indeed be very hard to find an all rounder, don't u think?

Guest

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:34 am

2ppaamm wrote:I had the same problems with most of my kids. In the end, I stopped teaching them the subject matter. I taught them how to avoid careless mistakes. E.g. how to tell your answer cannot be the answer, checking techniques etc. Try it out...

Having said that, speed is very important also. When they go to a higher level (university and pre-university), speed does give a lot of advantage. Therefore, being speedy can only be a plus point. Take heart!


Yes I am only concerned about that now. Hopefully I can get over this excruciating pain period soon to enjoy the speed factor she has built into herself.

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 2532
Joined: Wed Dec 23,
Total Likes:7

Post by 2ppaamm » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:36 am

Way2GO wrote:I would think these children would be exceptionally gifted in specific disciplines. Would indeed be very hard to find an all rounder, don't u think?

Actually, quite a few I know are all rounders...


2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 2532
Joined: Wed Dec 23,
Total Likes:7

Post by 2ppaamm » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:37 am

ks2me wrote:
2ppaamm wrote:I had the same problems with most of my kids. In the end, I stopped teaching them the subject matter. I taught them how to avoid careless mistakes. E.g. how to tell your answer cannot be the answer, checking techniques etc. Try it out...

Having said that, speed is very important also. When they go to a higher level (university and pre-university), speed does give a lot of advantage. Therefore, being speedy can only be a plus point. Take heart!


Yes I am only concerned about that now. Hopefully I can get over this excruciating pain period soon to enjoy the speed factor she has built into herself.

Actually, after some time, they will all get over this period. It's just that our system is so unforgiving, they have no time to make those mistakes, and they are not given time to get used to it. Think about ourselves when we were young - didn't we all learn?

Way2GO
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 4487
Joined: Fri Nov 13,
Total Likes:4

Post by Way2GO » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:37 am

MdmKS wrote:
My fren son got selected for GEP Mathsmaster class and later received a letter calling him "Highly Gifted". Duno whether he kena tracked?


Only those who are 'exceptional' in maths get selected for this Maths Masterclass.
But I believe all GE students already have individual files on record at MOE.

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 2532
Joined: Wed Dec 23,
Total Likes:7

Post by 2ppaamm » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:38 am

Way2GO wrote:
MdmKS wrote:
My fren son got selected for GEP Mathsmaster class and later received a letter calling him "Highly Gifted". Duno whether he kena tracked?


Only those who are 'exceptional' in maths get selected for this Maths Masterclass.
But I believe all GE students already have individual files on record at MOE.

The EG is not looking for skewed intelligence, they are looking for FSIQ as far as I know, meaning good in every area.... O, but my understanding could be outdated...they might have changed the criteria now.

MdmKS
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Posts: 497
Joined: Mon Mar 09,

Post by MdmKS » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:40 am

2ppaamm wrote:
Way2GO wrote:I would think these children would be exceptionally gifted in specific disciplines. Would indeed be very hard to find an all rounder, don't u think?

Actually, quite a few I know are all rounders...


The all rounders are usually attributed to their good working habits, therefore are more likely to do well in everything. This might have to do with their up-bringing.

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 2532
Joined: Wed Dec 23,
Total Likes:7

Post by 2ppaamm » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:41 am

MdmKS wrote:
2ppaamm wrote:
Way2GO wrote:I would think these children would be exceptionally gifted in specific disciplines. Would indeed be very hard to find an all rounder, don't u think?

Actually, quite a few I know are all rounders...


The all rounders are usually attributed to their good working habits, therefore are more likely to do well in everything. This might have to do with their up-bringing.

Not sure about upbringing, but good parents for sure... Without great parents, how far can a kid go?

Post Reply