Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby iFirefly » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:50 am

jtoh wrote:
Nebbermind wrote:Hmmm...but they seemed to be still quiet abt 250 in their website. Wonder why...

It was made known to the GEP students and their parents. Maybe it only concerns them? Or the IT dept not very on the ball?

No wonder.. Never heard of this 250 criteria 2 years ago. Was told that as long as the GEP kid maintained his/her GEP status at the end of P6 (ie. meeting the 70% baseline for all subjects, including Social Studies, and with no behavioral issues), he/she would definitely be granted EESiS. In fact, DS' teachers said so far (2 years ago), no GEP kid in the school had not been granted EESIS.

iFirefly
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby milkbun » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:52 am

firefly38 wrote:
jtoh wrote:
Nebbermind wrote:Hmmm...but they seemed to be still quiet abt 250 in their website. Wonder why...

It was made known to the GEP students and their parents. Maybe it only concerns them? Or the IT dept not very on the ball?

No wonder.. Never heard of this 250 criteria 2 years ago. Was told that as long as the GEP kid maintained his/her GEP status at the end of P6 (ie. meeting the 70% baseline for all subjects, including Social Studies, and with no behavioral issues), he/she would definitely be granted EESiS. In fact, DS' teachers said so far (2 years ago), no GEP kid in the school had not been granted EESIS.

looks like I learn something new everyday. Thanks for sharing

milkbun
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Ed. » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:41 pm

I think that it is important to understand the underlying and fundamental purpose of GEP to address our doubts. Firstly, being a GEP student, I can confidently tell you that the GEPers who finish the 3 years of the Programme comprise almost entirely of those who passed the test on their own merit. Many who hothouses dropped out in my school, unable to cope with the rigorous programme. If you are worried about social problems, I must assure you that the students there are mostly similar in the fact that most are eccentric. Haha, including me. The teachers are very encouraging and they'll try their utmost to integrate each child into the student community. To the parents who are indecisive about allowing your child to enter or attempt the test, do not worry. Let them try, don't worry if their results are not extraordinary. Frankly speaking, my results from P1-3 were merely above average; not top, not even top 3 in my class for I didn't see the need to study. However, after entering GEP, I was pitted against others who posessed great potential. Next to them, I realised with a sudden pang that I wasn't half as good, but thanks to the teachers, I had really fabulous friends and I honestly felt that I was a 'part' of the programme. Hence, if you feel are worried that your child will be 'left out', fret not. The GEP community is a vibrant, caring one and I love this place more than anything. You may be guessing my age now, but yes, I'm still in primary school (:

Ed.
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

1 people like this post

Re: Should GEP be for Singaporeans students only?

Postby mommyNg » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:44 pm

AppleCrumble wrote:Would like to ask for parents' opinions on an issue related to GEP, a hot topic now since now is the time for GEP screening and selection tests.

As most of you are aware, MOE is implementing steps to give priority to Singaporean citizens (e.g. more balloting chance for P1 school registration, school fees differentiation between SCs and PRs). Am just wondering if this should be extended to the GEP too. This way, more Singaporean kids will benefit from this program.

:?

Perhaps MOE should clarify how much $$, on average, did they have to put in to support a child through the GEP program from P4 to P6, and how many, for the last 5 years, of the children in the GEP program were Singaporeans vs PRs/foreigners? Then we have a better position to argue for whether Singaporean kids should have priority to benefit from this program...?

mommyNg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sushi88 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:15 pm

I have asked this before.
The GE screening is such that if they do not fill up the seats, they do not try hard to fill it up if there are less qualifying numbers. Also, if they found more suitable kids they would take in more. So honestly, with this kind of +/- band, if the children cannot make it, they really cannot, not because the seats are taken up by the PRs or foreigners so they are not a cause at all.

sushi88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tyeogh » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:16 am

If foreigners and PR can make up half our population, correspondingly there should be 250 foreigners and PR offered GEP. (Half of 500)

Depriving 250 citizen child a GEP education is a subject worthy of further discussion.

tyeogh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby mommyNg » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:44 am

sushi88 wrote:I have asked this before.
The GE screening is such that if they do not fill up the seats, they do not try hard to fill it up if there are less qualifying numbers. Also, if they found more suitable kids they would take in more. So honestly, with this kind of +/- band, if the children cannot make it, they really cannot, not because the seats are taken up by the PRs or foreigners so they are not a cause at all.

Sorry, I have to disagree, but please don't :duck:
I believe the "cut-off" to qualify for GEP program is not absolutely deterministic. Say MOE selected top 500 students based on the test scores for GEP program, but who is to say that the 501th child is less deserving, or less "gifted" than the 500th child? Ok. Even if MOE may be flexible to take in more "suitable" kids, again, say 25 more, who is to say that the 526th child is less deserving, or less "gifted" than the 525th child, or even the 498th child? So if there are 26 PRs/foreigner, taking them out would mean the 526th child (Singaporean) could get into the program, which does not mean this child is less "gifted", less deserving, less successful than the 26 PRs/foreigners. I understand that there must be a cut somewhere, but before we get hold of the numbers, it is still too early to say that the seats taken up by PRs or foreigners are not a cause for concern at all.....?

mommyNg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sushi88 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:23 am

mommyNg wrote:
sushi88 wrote:I have asked this before.

Sorry, I have to disagree, but please don't :duck:
I believe the "cut-off" to qualify for GEP program is not absolutely deterministic. Say MOE selected top 500 students based on the test scores for GEP program, but who is to say that the 501th child is less deserving, or less "gifted" than the 500th child? Ok. Even if MOE may be flexible to take in more "suitable" kids, again, say 25 more, who is to say that the 526th child is less deserving, or less "gifted" than the 525th child, or even the 498th child? So if there are 26 PRs/foreigner, taking them out would mean the 526th child (Singaporean) could get into the program, which does not mean this child is less "gifted", less deserving, less successful than the 26 PRs/foreigners. I understand that there must be a cut somewhere, but before we get hold of the numbers, it is still too early to say that the seats taken up by PRs or foreigners are not a cause for concern at all.....?

For discussion sake, I use the IQ test index.
If IQ > 130 is considered gifted, do you mean 129 can also be considered gifted? It is only 2 points from 131.

If >150 is considered exceptionally gifted, do you mean 149 also meets the mark of being exceptional?

Btw, this programme is for a different learning style. Nothing to do with less deserving, less successful. Success is in one's own hands.

sushi88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:31 am

If we see gep as a reward or an award, we can add another 500 places and it's still not enough.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tyeogh » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:00 am

mommyNg wrote:Sorry, I have to disagree, but please don't :duck:

Good point!

We are discussing this subject (foreigner vs citizen in GEP) in an another thread - GEP Screening and Selection. Come join the discussion.

http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... &start=720

tyeogh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

LEARNConcierge