Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby tyeogh » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:39 pm

raisintan wrote:
How about writing to Straits Times forum to create awareness?

You or me write?

tyeogh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby sleepy » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:00 pm

mother777 wrote:Well I am citizen..so my child is as affected as any one of the fellow citizen speaking up here.
From what I have read in this forum, GEP division are looking for a specific set of children to enter into the GEP program.

Lets assume all foreigners are barred from entering this exam, only citizens are allowed to take exam.
If only 250 kids qualify the selection critieria, then that years cohort will be of 250 students only.. there is no way they will select the children who don't qualify.

well these are just my humble thoughts..it was not my intension to create a controversy here..

Wish good luck to all the children who attempted GEP this year..am sure all did their best..

GEP has been around since the 1980s. I wonder what was the number of intake then?

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sleepy » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:15 pm

tyeogh wrote: I am not disagreeing with what you are saying. I am saying someone should look into expanding GEP to 1,000 places instead. Our systems need to catch up with the foreigner growth, much like the MRT and bus networks. But some one needs to raise the issue.

Although population increase but number of babies born each year are not exactly on uptrend. At this moment, gep screening managed to pick up slightly over 1% of cohort.

That's why I'm wondering what was the % of intake back in 1980s and 1990s

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mother777 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:21 pm

tyeogh wrote:
mother777 wrote:Well I am citizen..so my child is as affected as any one of the fellow citizen speaking up here.
From what I have read in this forum, GEP division are looking for a specific set of children to enter into the GEP program.

Lets assume all foreigners are barred from entering this exam, only citizens are allowed to take exam.
If only 250 kids qualify the selection critieria, then that years cohort will be of 250 students only.. there is no way they will select the children who don't qualify.

well these are just my humble thoughts..it was not my intension to create a controversy here..

Wish good luck to all the children who attempted GEP this year..am sure all did their best..

Suppose for borderline cases, the entry score is just 1 mark apart. Are you going to say someone who missed 1 question is not gifted whereas the person who scored 1 more correct question is? We are talking about 9 years old kids. Maybe she looked up at the ceiling and missed 1 question - and becomes ungifted??

I am not disagreeing with what you are saying. I am saying someone should look into expanding GEP to 1,000 places instead. Our systems need to catch up with the foreigner growth, much like the MRT and bus networks. But some one needs to raise the issue.

Oh ok you worried about the borderline cases..ya agree these should be given a chance..

mother777
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby tyeogh » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:27 pm

sleepy wrote:
tyeogh wrote: I am not disagreeing with what you are saying. I am saying someone should look into expanding GEP to 1,000 places instead. Our systems need to catch up with the foreigner growth, much like the MRT and bus networks. But some one needs to raise the issue.

Although population increase but number of babies born each year are not exactly on uptrend. At this moment, gep screening managed to pick up slightly over 1% of cohort.

500 since 1999.

http://www.moe.gov.sg/media/forum/2008/ ... well-p.php

tyeogh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby sushi88 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:33 pm

mother777 wrote:
tyeogh wrote:

Suppose for borderline cases, the entry score is just 1 mark apart. Are you going to say someone who missed 1 question is not gifted whereas the person who scored 1 more correct question is? We are talking about 9 years old kids. Maybe she looked up at the ceiling and missed 1 question - and becomes ungifted??

I am not disagreeing with what you are saying. I am saying someone should look into expanding GEP to 1,000 places instead. Our systems need to catch up with the foreigner growth, much like the MRT and bus networks. But some one needs to raise the issue.

Oh ok you worried about the borderline cases..ya agree these should be given a chance..

Every number chosen will have borderline cases, what happens to the 1001 kid if you suspect your child is that one? :? :?
Last edited by sushi88 on Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sushi88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sleepy » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:39 pm

tyeogh wrote:
sleepy wrote:

500 since 1999.

http://www.moe.gov.sg/media/forum/2008/ ... well-p.php

500 is how many % of cohort?
need to know cohort size to make comparison

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mother777 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:41 pm

Well we cannot satisfy all..every batch there will kids who are left out due to borderline. It's the same as getting your preferred school after psle. You may miss your choice of school by 1 point or even lesser..
We have to move on..

mother777
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby tyeogh » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:46 pm

sushi88 wrote:
Every number chosen will have borderline cases, what happen to the 1001 kid if you suspect your child is that one? :? :?

Agree. So it is not about "giftedness" but about opportunities. If that 501 or 530th child is offered, maybe he can make it? But bec of foreign numbers, this "able" 530th position citizen is deprived. See my point?

I was responding to mother777 who opined that it may not be beneficial to offer GEP to a child who is not capable of it. My reply is that the child may be capable of it if he is given a chance.
Last edited by tyeogh on Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tyeogh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby tyeogh » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:53 pm

sleepy wrote:
500 is how many % of cohort?
need to know cohort size to make comparison

Waaa!! My name Google ah? LoL. Wu Kwee Turtle lah! Cohort size I dunno. 1999 population approx 4m. Today, 5.3m

So what should be the corresponding NEW GEP size?

(sounds like my daughters GEP maths question sia.....haha!)

tyeogh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

LEARNConcierge