All About GEP

Academic support and discussions for GEP

GEP screening test? Go or no Go

Poll ended at Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:26 pm

Must Go
7
35%
Can Try
11
55%
Don't Go
2
10%
 
Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby sleepy » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:11 pm

tyeogh wrote:
sleepy wrote:
500 is how many % of cohort?
need to know cohort size to make comparison


Waaa!! My name Google ah? LoL. Wu Kwee Turtle lah! Cohort size I dunno. 1999 population approx 4m. Today, 5.3m

So what should be the corresponding NEW GEP size?

(sounds like my daughters GEP maths question sia.....haha!)


tyeogh wrote: look into expanding GEP to 1,000 places instead. Our systems need to catch up with the foreigner growth, much like the MRT and bus networks.


Just trying to discuss your view that gep intake 'need to catch up with foreign growth'


My gut feel is although population increased but number of babies born each year are not exactly on uptrend. Many migrants are already adult when they came to Singapore. So the population increase % may not be in sync with the number of babies born.

Not expecting you to know the cohort size. I have no idea either :laugh:

What I'm trying to say is unless we know the cohort size (if data is made available), this 1% (plus minus) of cohort probably has been pretty consistent all along. At least that was the impression given during the gep parents briefing presentation.

So if present this argument to MOE that gep intake 'need to catch up with foreign growth' is probably not a strong argument unless data is made available to analyse the % intake trend over the last decade and perhaps even further break down the numbers between citizen and foreigners to see if there's indeed a significant shift in gep intake distribution.

In the 1980s and 1990s, I suppose there would be close to 100% citizen in gep. So what's the shift in % now? How significant is that shift in %? Would that % be 'acceptable' to most citizens? Oh boi, DATA, we need data :wink:

With more info, you can present a stronger and more convincing case to MOE.

I'm sitting on the fence at this moment until more data is made known. At this point, it's seems inconclusive. I'm a citizen by the way :siam:

However, I do support the argument that some forumers raised earlier. To take up citizenship if a foreign student is admitted to gep.
Last edited by sleepy on Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 9759
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:21 pm
Total Likes: 38


Re: All About GEP

Postby sushi88 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:29 pm

tyeogh wrote:
sushi88 wrote:
Every number chosen will have borderline cases, what happen to the 1001 kid if you suspect your child is that one? :? :?


Agree. So it is not about "giftedness" but about opportunities. If that 501 or 530th child is offered, maybe he can make it? But bec of foreign numbers, this "able" 530th position citizen is deprived. See my point?

I was responding to mother777 who opined that it may not be beneficial to offer GEP to a child who is not capable of it. My reply is that the child may be capable of it if he is given a chance.


I understand your point. For such students who are so called not entirely strong in the testing of the 2 subjects, there exists other opportunities for them which are not spelt out and maybe by design. Are your children in GEP now?

sushi88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2491
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:37 am
Total Likes: 163


Re: Should GEP be for Singaporeans students only?

Postby sleepy » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:39 pm

mommyNg wrote:Perhaps MOE should clarify how much $$, on average, did they have to put in to support a child through the GEP program from P4 to P6, and how many, for the last 5 years, of the children in the GEP program were Singaporeans vs PRs/foreigners? Then we have a better position to argue for whether Singaporean kids should have priority to benefit from this program...?


Yes, we certainly need more info before drawing any conclusion :wink:

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 9759
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:21 pm
Total Likes: 38


Re: All About GEP

Postby Steadyberry » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:41 pm

Sorry for OT. Refer to Foreigner or PR to take up citizenship if the kid is admitted to Gep as some parents suggested. I assume you are asking gahmen to offer citizenship to the parents or get the parents to apply for citizenship. Immigration has their own policy on who to approve or reject and what if the parents are not qualified and gahmen reject their application. Then how? What to do next? Reject the kid from entering gep? Maybe gahmen just want the gep kid and hopefully once the kid reach 18, gahmen hope that the kid will apply for citizenship or gahmen will offer citizenship to the kid..

Steadyberry
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 699
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:00 pm
Total Likes: 1


Re: All About GEP

Postby sleepy » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:54 pm

sushi88 wrote:I have asked this before.
The GE screening is such that if they do not fill up the seats, they do not try hard to fill it up if there are less qualifying numbers. Also, if they found more suitable kids they would take in more. So honestly, with this kind of +/- band, if the children cannot make it, they really cannot, not because the seats are taken up by the PRs or foreigners so they are not a cause at all.


That's what we were told during gep parents briefing. I accepted that explanation wholeheartedly.

However, after reading various posting here, it actually started me pondering.
In the 1980s and 1990s, I suppose there would be close to 100% citizen in gep.
Simplistically speaking, if screening test can pick 500 students who are citizens back in the 80s & 90s, theoretically screening test nowadays should too, assuming descendants' intelligence remains constant :evil:

So if we add foreigners to the equation, what's the shift in % now between citizens and foreigners? How significant is that shift in %?

I don't have any stake in pushing for changes. Just that my curiosity is now being stirred. Anyway, more data is needed before any opinion can be formed la :wink:


By the way, I'm not objecting to foreigners in gep programme. I only hope they will choose to stay in Singapore after being 栽培. And right now, there doesn't seem to be any attempt by MOE to ask them to demonstrate commitment? Okay, maybe that's a separate dept. Then these two dept obviously need to work together.

I think that's only a fair expectation, to see some commitment that foreign students have the intention to continue staying in Singapore after being 栽培 in a programme with only 500 vacancies (thereabout). If not, might as well use that resource on a citizen. Fairly logical? Don't stone me hor :siam:

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 9759
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:21 pm
Total Likes: 38



Re: All About GEP

Postby sleepy » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:40 pm

Not intending to start a debate with anyone. Just airing my 2cents :smile:

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 9759
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:21 pm
Total Likes: 38


Re: All About GEP

Postby tyeogh » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:12 pm

sleepy wrote:
However, I do support the argument that some forumers raised earlier. To take up citizenship if a foreign student is admitted to gep.


Actually, if you scroll back, I was the one who suggested MOE set a criteria of making the child take up citizenship before starting GEP classes. LoL.

Thanks for agreeing with my views and letting me post :smile:

tyeogh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 436
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:21 am
Total Likes: 11


Re: All About GEP

Postby tyeogh » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:35 pm

sushi88 wrote:
I understand your point. For such students who are so called not entirely strong in the testing of the 2 subjects, there exists other opportunities for them which are not spelt out and maybe by design. Are your children in GEP now?


My eldest just finished Round 2. She likes her current school too much to want to move. I can't handle the logistical changes either. But I encouraged her to go through the tests for the hell of it since she likes challenges. This child at P1 memorized her entire class index numbers out of boredom and topped both her class and standard each year.

I mean, like you, we parents just want the best for our kids. It is not as if I planned for this. I just had to take it upon myself to investigate more about GEP by coming here even though she and me don't want it. Along the way, I noticed the anomaly for citizens. It's just so me to ask these weird questions bah......

tyeogh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 436
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:21 am
Total Likes: 11


Re: All About GEP

Postby ooioo » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:53 pm

tyeogh wrote:
sushi88 wrote:
I understand your point. For such students who are so called not entirely strong in the testing of the 2 subjects, there exists other opportunities for them which are not spelt out and maybe by design. Are your children in GEP now?


My eldest just finished Round 2. She likes her current school too much to want to move. I can't handle the logistical changes either. But I encouraged her to go through the tests for the hell of it since she likes challenges. This child at P1 memorized her entire class index numbers out of boredom and topped both her class and standard each year.

I mean, like you, we parents just want the best for our kids. It is not as if I planned for this. I just had to take it upon myself to investigate more about GEP by coming here even though she and me don't want it. Along the way, I noticed the anomaly for citizens. It's just so me to ask these weird questions bah......


We all don't need tests to tell that each of our child is special, the GEP tests just tells you in which way your child is different from the rest.

To me it is perfectly fine not to go even if selected, if you don't go, just make sure to give your child enough food for their brain, which is almost like a bottomless pit :)

ooioo
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 161
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:27 am
Total Likes: 6


Re: All About GEP

Postby Nebbermind » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:02 pm

ooioo wrote:
We all don't need tests to tell that each of our child is special, the GEP tests just tells you in which way your child is different from the rest.

To me it is perfectly fine not to go even if selected, if you don't go, just make sure to give your child enough food for their brain, which is almost like a bottomless pit :)

Unfortunately, there are many who see GEP as the ultimate 'prize' in the pri school journey... :shrug:

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 15689
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:40 am
Total Likes: 157


PreviousNext

Return to GEP