Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

All About GEP

Academic support and discussions for GEP

GEP screening test? Go or no Go

Poll ended at Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:26 pm

Must Go
7
35%
Can Try
11
55%
Don't Go
2
10%
 
Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby tyeogh » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:16 pm

Nebbermind wrote:Unfortunately, there are many who see GEP as the ultimate 'prize' in the pri school journey... :shrug:


Probably an added feather in the cap - your resume will look nicer with a GEP status, depending on the type of jobs you want in future. You can't blame parents for wanting the best for their child. You would too, at different stages :smile:

tyeogh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 443
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:21 am
Total Likes: 12


Re: All About GEP

Postby ooioo » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:17 pm

Nebbermind wrote:
ooioo wrote:
We all don't need tests to tell that each of our child is special, the GEP tests just tells you in which way your child is different from the rest.

To me it is perfectly fine not to go even if selected, if you don't go, just make sure to give your child enough food for their brain, which is almost like a bottomless pit :)

Unfortunately, there are many who see GEP as the ultimate 'prize' in the pri school journey... :shrug:



GEP is not a prize, just a tool for evaluation, like a weighing machine that tells you how heavy you are

Like your weight, there is nothing glorious or embarrassing to how much you weight, it is just who you are

ooioo
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 161
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:27 am
Total Likes: 6


Re: All About GEP

Postby ooioo » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:18 pm

If you weight more, may be you can be a better sumo wrestler, if you weight less, may be you can jump higher or run faster? :)

ooioo
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 161
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:27 am
Total Likes: 6


Re: All About GEP

Postby Nebbermind » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:24 pm

ooioo wrote:If you weight more, may be you can be a better sumo wrestler, if you weight less, may be you can jump higher or run faster? :)

But many parents think their sumo wrestler to jump higher and run faster too!

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 15870
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:40 am
Total Likes: 157


Re: All About GEP

Postby ooioo » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:24 pm

tyeogh wrote:
Nebbermind wrote:Unfortunately, there are many who see GEP as the ultimate 'prize' in the pri school journey... :shrug:


Probably an added feather in the cap - your resume will look nicer with a GEP status, depending on the type of jobs you want in future. You can't blame parents for wanting the best for their child. You would too, at different stages :smile:


IMHO, but don't slam me ok :lol:

We should teach our child to be what they want to be, achieve what they want to achieve, no person should be judge by a single paper or words on a piece of paper. Their future is what they go out and make it to be. Don't live by rules set by others, set your own goals and go make it happen! :smile:

ooioo
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 161
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:27 am
Total Likes: 6



Re: All About GEP

Postby sleepy » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:31 pm

ooioo wrote:If you weight more, may be you can be a better sumo wrestler, if you weight less, may be you can jump higher or run faster? :)


I like this analogy!

Teacher told dd2 that she missed out 1 question in her paper yesterday. She's kind of demoralized and asked me what if she didn't do well in her SA. I told her I'm happy with her positive learning attitude. And her result is not my measurement of her worth.
My measurement is fillial piety!
Not sure if that's helping or adding more stress instead LOL

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 9768
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:21 pm
Total Likes: 38


Re: All About GEP

Postby tyeogh » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:41 pm

ooioo wrote:
IMHO, but don't slam me ok :lol:

We should teach our child to be what they want to be, achieve what they want to achieve, no person should be judge by a single paper or words on a piece of paper. Their future is what they go out and make it to be. Don't live by rules set by others, set your own goals and go make it happen! :smile:


Each is free to set his own markers. This is the beauty of parenthood. I like your goals. For me, I prefer less geeky and more character. I have always believed the A graders will work for the C graders. Unfortunately, the child turns out blessed from the neck up, no matter how I make her use her limbs from the neck down *shrug*
Last edited by tyeogh on Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tyeogh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 443
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:21 am
Total Likes: 12


Re: All About GEP

Postby tyeogh » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:47 pm

sleepy wrote:Teacher told dd2 that she missed out 1 question in her paper yesterday. She's kind of demoralized and asked me what if she didn't do well in her SA. I told her I'm happy with her positive learning attitude. And her result is not my measurement of her worth.
My measurement is fillial piety!
Not sure if that's helping or adding more stress instead LOL


My sentiments exactly! Important to have good learning attitude and filial piety.

A bit off topic. I make my kids kneel before me each year during CNY. Teaching them how to respect their parents. Old fashion? Anyone doing it?

tyeogh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 443
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:21 am
Total Likes: 12


Re: All About GEP

Postby ooioo » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:56 pm

tyeogh wrote:
ooioo wrote:
IMHO, but don't slam me ok :lol:

We should teach our child to be what they want to be, achieve what they want to achieve, no person should be judge by a single paper or words on a piece of paper. Their future is what they go out and make it to be. Don't live by rules set by others, set your own goals and go make it happen! :smile:


Each is free to set his own markers. This is the beauty of parenthood. I like your goals. For me, I prefer less geeky and more character. I have always believed the A graders will work for the C graders. Unfortunately, the child turns out blessed from the neck up, no matter how I make her use her limbs from the neck down *shrug*


As parents we have the fortune or ill fortune of moulding who and what they grow up to be.

What is in the head is not important, what is in their heart, is what really matters :smile:

ooioo
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 161
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:27 am
Total Likes: 6


Re: All About GEP

Postby Bloomberg » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:56 pm

tyeogh wrote:
sleepy wrote:Teacher told dd2 that she missed out 1 question in her paper yesterday. She's kind of demoralized and asked me what if she didn't do well in her SA. I told her I'm happy with her positive learning attitude. And her result is not my measurement of her worth.
My measurement is fillial piety!
Not sure if that's helping or adding more stress instead LOL


My sentiments exactly! Important to have good learning attitude and filial piety.

A bit off topic. I make my kids kneel before me each year during CNY. Teaching them how to respect their parents. Old fashion? Anyone doing it?


I think this is a good tradition. Well done! but up to what age?

Bloomberg
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:38 pm
Total Likes: 0


PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres