35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby ooioo » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:07 am

Steadyberry wrote:I am just curious only. Bec few yrs back when I attended orientation, ex-principal mentioned a girl who was accepted into gep but she rejected the offer. In the end, she did really well in psle and went to one of the top sec sch. She continued to do really well and even rec an award, think it was the PM Book Prize, if my memory didn't fail me. So was wondering was she in the gep class when she was in her sec sch bec she was not ex-gep students...

There are main-stream students in top school gifted program, only that the numbers is very very low and no one talks about it, these classes mainly comprise of GEP students from primary school which they continue to learn at the pace of the primary school, but each school's program is different.

The number of selected GEP students that did not go GEP during primary school is even smaller (10-20 each year), thus not many people know of this.

ooioo
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby rambutan77 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:08 am

ooioo wrote:
firefly38 wrote:
quote="Steadyberry": Just curious... If a child is selected to join GEP but decides not to go for it. Later, the child does reasonably well in PSLE. Will the child be selected to join GEP again in secondary school or GEP is a once in a lifetime chance?

quote="ooioo": You asked a very good question :smile:

Any child who does very well in PSLE and goes to a school like RI RGS HCI NYGH etc will be invited to join their in house Gifted Program,?even when you are in neighbourhood secondary school, and suddenly you discovered your child is gifted in Academic (in National, International Competitions or some other validation etc), I believe the Principal of these school will take you in.

In Singapore if you are truly gifted, you will not be short change in Education, that is how I feel :smile:

quote="firefly38": Not so correct..

The only time your child will be invited by MOE to join GEP is at the end of P3, after the GEP Selection Test. If the child turns down the offer, he/she will not be invited to join GEP again in Sec Sch (regardless of how well he/she does in PSLE), coz there is NO GEP in Sec Schs..

Some Sec Schs may have their own special programs for their students, but those are not the same as GEP. Hence, I urge parents not to give up this one & only chance, if your child is selected to join GEP..

And.. RI does NOT have any in-house Gifted Program. All students (GEP & mainstream) in the same cohort do the same curriculum (Raffles Program). All students start from the same 'Start' line, from Year-1.. :smile:

Hi Everyone please read link by MOE,

http://www.moe.gov.sg/education/program ... secondary/

Steadyberry suggest that you can call up Secondary school and ask the Admin and they will tell you in greater details :smile:

Are you sure you're not from the KGB, er I mean GEB ooioo?

I like your resourcefulness.. :smile:
Last edited by rambutan77 on Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

rambutan77
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby sleepy » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:09 am

rambutan77 wrote:Are you sure you're not from the KGB, er I mean GEB ooioo?

And I like your sense of humour :lol:

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ooioo » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:09 am

The last time I checked, the top student PSLE from Rulang a few years back (who was selected for GEP but stayed in Rulang), is now in a top Secondary School Gifted program.

ooioo
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby ooioo » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:11 am

rambutan77 wrote:
ooioo wrote:
firefly38 wrote:
quote="Steadyberry": Just curious... If a child is selected to join GEP but decides not to go for it. Later, the child does reasonably well in PSLE. Will the child be selected to join GEP again in secondary school or GEP is a once in a lifetime chance?

quote="ooioo": You asked a very good question :smile:

Any child who does very well in PSLE and goes to a school like RI RGS HCI NYGH etc will be invited to join their in house Gifted Program,?even when you are in neighbourhood secondary school, and suddenly you discovered your child is gifted in Academic (in National, International Competitions or some other validation etc), I believe the Principal of these school will take you in.

In Singapore if you are truly gifted, you will not be short change in Education, that is how I feel :smile:

Not so correct..

The only time your child will be invited by MOE to join GEP is at the end of P3, after the GEP Selection Test. If the child turns down the offer, he/she will not be invited to join GEP again in Sec Sch (regardless of how well he/she does in PSLE), coz there is NO GEP in Sec Schs..

Some Sec Schs may have their own special programs for their students, but those are not the same as GEP. Hence, I urge parents not to give up this one & only chance, if your child is selected to join GEP..

And.. RI does NOT have any in-house Gifted Program. All students (GEP & mainstream) in the same cohort do the same curriculum (Raffles Program). All students start from the same 'Start' line, from Year-1.. :smile:

Hi Everyone please read link by MOE,

http://www.moe.gov.sg/education/program ... secondary/

Steadyberry suggest that you can call up Secondary school and ask the Admin and they will tell you in greater details :smile:

Are you sure you're not from the KGB, er I mean GEB ooioo?

May be I am from NSA & CIA America's spying network :rotflmao:

ooioo
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Sun_2010 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:15 am

ooioo wrote:
May be I am from NSA & CIA America's spying network :rotflmao:

Err... and whose phone are you tapping ?

:wink:

Sorry for the OT. Pls continue the fight, i mean, discussion :oops:

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:23 am

firefly38 wrote:
ooioo wrote:
Steadyberry wrote:Just curious... If a child is selected to join GEP but decides not to go for it. Later, the child does reasonably well in PSLE. Will the child be selected to join GEP again in secondary school or GEP is a once in a lifetime chance?

You asked a very good question :smile:

Not so correct..

Firefly is correct. You are only invited into GEP in P3. All students in RI and RGS do the same curriculum - The Raffles Programme - regardless of whether you're in the GEP class or not. You will only have GEP status if you were in GEP in primary school.

I believe HCI and NYGH run on the same basis. That is, that all students will go thru the same curriculum although the GEP students will be in different classes.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Steadyberry » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:34 am

ooioo wrote:The last time I checked, the top student PSLE from Rulang a few years back (who was selected for GEP but stayed in Rulang), is now in a top Secondary School Gifted program.

Thanks for your reply. So it is possible for a non-gep to join gep in sec sch.

Btw I hv no intention of starting a fight or war here :itwasntme: only curious to know more..

Steadyberry
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby zbear » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:48 am

If your child is selected for the Primary school GEP, I strongly recommended to go for it becos the selection process is very stringent n your child is deemed to be suitable for the program.

The syllabus is also more challenging (initially its a bit tough but you will adapt to it) n it has a lot of advantages when you go up to Sec School. I also understand that Pri School GEP students have priority to enter top Sec Schools based on their GEP status via DSA.

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:51 am

Steadyberry wrote:
ooioo wrote:The last time I checked, the top student PSLE from Rulang a few years back (who was selected for GEP but stayed in Rulang), is now in a top Secondary School Gifted program.

Thanks for your reply. So it is possible for a non-gep to join gep in sec sch.

Btw I hv no intention of starting a fight or war here :itwasntme: only curious to know more..

You can't 'join' GEP in secondary school. You can go to a school like RI/RGS/HCI/NYGH where everyone does the same syllabus, both GEP and mainstream students. But it doesn't mean you will get GEP status, nor that you're 'joining GEP'. You can do well enough to be in the same class as the GEP students in Sec 1, but you are not considered a GEP student, simply because you were not a GEP student in primary school.

In any case, it doesn't really matter bec it's how you perform in secondary school. It's not what your status is.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres