35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby love.actually » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:38 am

This year GEP, strangely many commented English is easy and Math is very easy, at least from my DS's class. I believe standard will be raised since this year GEP is too easy. Even students from mixed abilities classes find both papers easy.
Over the past years, those who find English easier than Math will normally go to round 2. It does not matter if cannot complete Math paper but the kids definitely need to complete English paper in order to have higher chance of getting into the selection round. In conclusion, students who are powerful in vocabulary will benefit. Son says most words were being taught in P1 and P2. There are only a few that looks alien to him.

love.actually
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby zakashi » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:22 pm

What is MOE requirement? I believe MOE wants the candidate to pass both English and Maths for P3 GEP at certain percentage. I though GEP emphasize more on Maths.

zakashi
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Smile Smile » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:43 pm

Zakashi,

Screening test marked by school. Selection test marked by MOE. Top 1% of the entire P3 cohort offered GEP. There is no reserved list to GEP.

You can be stronger in one, but you must be strong on both. The GEP programme is very rigorous. The student would not be able make it she/he is not strong on both. Hence GEP emphasis on English, Maths and does well in general ability questions.

Smile Smile
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby crm » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:21 pm

love.actually wrote:This year GEP, strangely many commented English is easy and Math is very easy, at least from my DS's class. I believe standard will be raised since this year GEP is too easy. Even students from mixed abilities classes find both papers easy.
Over the past years, those who find English easier than Math will normally go to round 2. It does not matter if cannot complete Math paper but the kids definitely need to complete English paper in order to have higher chance of getting into the selection round. In conclusion, students who are powerful in vocabulary will benefit. Son says most words were being taught in P1 and P2. There are only a few that looks alien to him.

Hi may I know your kid is from top elite school? It sounds amazing that they found both papers are so easy

crm
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby sleepy » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:36 pm

Can't remember much about round 1.

Found my post from 2014 thread page 9

For round 2,
sleepy wrote:According to one of my kids, she completed English paper but only 40% sure. On the other hand, Maths, according to her, very easy. And GAT is common sense.

My other kid said English very difficult. Math okay GAT okay

You might want to read through 2013 thread. Some parents shared sample questions :boogie:
Last edited by sleepy on Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sleepy » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:38 pm

Keke, I came across this post from last year
2014 thread page 9

Pen88n, hope you don't mind I kaypoh cut and paste here :smile:

Pen88n wrote:1st round is just the usual Maths and English tests - more like school standard (+ a little?). Not a concern for most parents and kids. The stake only gets higher at the 2nd round whereby the questions are more "different" and "out-of-the-box".

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby love.actually » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:48 pm

crm wrote:
love.actually wrote:This year GEP, strangely many commented English is easy and Math is very easy, at least from my DS's class. I believe standard will be raised since this year GEP is too easy. Even students from mixed abilities classes find both papers easy.

Hi may I know your kid is from top elite school? It sounds amazing that they found both papers are so easy

He's from one of the co-ed GEP-SAP school... But then MOE says all schools are the same so it should not matter which school right? :lol:
His teacher reminded the class to do English carefully and try to finish the whole paper. Hence, I guess English is more important though of course, need to do well for Math too.

love.actually
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby phtthp » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:35 pm

Term 4 week 9, on 14 November 2015 -
Is briefing for 2015 P3 pupils (born 2006) successful candidates, after clearing round 2 P3 selection test, at NUS High

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby crm » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:03 pm

phtthp wrote:Term 4 week 9, on 14 November 2015 -
Is briefing for 2015 P3 pupils (born 2006) successful candidates, after clearing round 2 P3 selection test, at NUS High

btw, how do you know this ? stated in MOE website?

crm
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby dimsum » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:29 pm

love.actually wrote:
crm wrote:

He's from one of the co-ed GEP-SAP school... But then MOE says all schools are the same so it should not matter which school right? :lol:
His teacher reminded the class to do English carefully and try to finish the whole paper. Hence, I guess English is more important though of course, need to do well for Math too.

For Round 1, I also guess English is more important because my son saw on the answer sheets that Maths paper is 1 mark per question and full marks is 50. For English, also 50 questions but each question is 2 marks so full marks is 100.

dimsum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres