All About GEP

Academic support and discussions for GEP
Post Reply

GEP screening test? Go or no Go

Poll ended at Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:26 pm

Must Go
7
35%
Can Try
11
55%
Don't Go
2
10%
 
Total votes: 20

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 9768
Joined: Thu Aug 14,
Total Likes:38

Re: All About GEP

Post by sleepy » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:47 am

Nebbermind wrote:
hquek wrote:
Nebbermind wrote:By managing expectation.


Parent's expectations or kid's expectations :siam:


Both. But more of parents', no?


Depends on your child's personality.

If child is the nua type, I think parents better set some minimum expectations.
You won't want to drink kopi every semester hor

If child is very ON already, then parents don't add further stress la

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 15892
Joined: Tue Dec 22,
Total Likes:154

Re: All About GEP

Post by Nebbermind » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:52 am

sleepy wrote:
Depends on your child's personality.

If child is the nua type, I think parents better to set some minimum expectation.
Don't want to drink kopi every semester hor

If child is very ON already, then parents don't add further stress la


I take the position that most kids are the nua type and enjoy anything but studying/doing school work. Those who are not are the exceptions and do not have much issue with 'survival'! :wink: !

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 9768
Joined: Thu Aug 14,
Total Likes:38

Re: All About GEP

Post by sleepy » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:55 am

Nebbermind wrote:
I take the position that most kids are the nua type and enjoy anything but studying/doing school work. Those who are not are the exceptions :wink: !


I got one each.

The ON one I must always remind her to chill and I dare not make any comments on her grades.

Whereas the super nua one I got to chase her like Ah Long.
Even in Sec 1, look at her messy desk, filing accumulated for months and not done, scattered all over her room :rant:

Pen88n
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 4390
Joined: Tue Sep 16,
Total Likes:75

Re: All About GEP

Post by Pen88n » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:01 am

sleepy wrote:
Nebbermind wrote:
I take the position that most kids are the nua type and enjoy anything but studying/doing school work. Those who are not are the exceptions :wink: !


I got one each.
The ON one I always her to chill.

The super nua one I got to chase her like Ah Long.
Even in Sec 1, look at her messy desk, filing accumulated for months and not done, scattered all over her room :rant:


Sleepy, good for you :rahrah: . Most of us end up with 2 or more kids of the same category - the nua type :cry:

wcc
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Mar 16,

Re: All About GEP

Post by wcc » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:07 am

Nebbermind wrote:
sleepy wrote:
Depends on your child's personality.

If child is the nua type, I think parents better to set some minimum expectation.
Don't want to drink kopi every semester hor

If child is very ON already, then parents don't add further stress la


I take the position that most kids are the nua type and enjoy anything but studying/doing school work. Those who are not are the exceptions and do not have much issue with 'survival'! :wink: !


Regardless of child's personality, but they spend many hours in school each day (e.g. CCA, afternoon lessons, etc). They actually have very little time to do their homework. Yet, homework are massive. Demands are high on them.


Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 15892
Joined: Tue Dec 22,
Total Likes:154

Re: All About GEP

Post by Nebbermind » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:10 am

wcc wrote:
Regardless of child's personality, but they spend many hours in school each day (e.g. CCA, afternoon lessons, etc). They actually have very little time to do their homework. Yet, homework are massive. Demands are high on them.


No lah, the daily work isn't a lot...well, not in my case.
The tough ones were those projects or SS write-up but even that, they will be given weeks to prepare. But being nua, most only start doing the weekend before submission. :shrug:

zakashi
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Posts: 648
Joined: Fri Feb 18,
Total Likes:1

Re: All About GEP

Post by zakashi » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:20 am

I wonder what makes selected Geppers refused to join GEP.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 15892
Joined: Tue Dec 22,
Total Likes:154

Re: All About GEP

Post by Nebbermind » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:50 am

zakashi wrote:I wonder what makes selected Geppers refused to join GEP.


1. Did not want to be uprooted. They could be treated very well in existing schools, well liked by teachers, given plenty of opportunities, hold important leadership positions etc.

2. GEP not so important. Parents are capable and have been providing 'beyond classroom' kind of education to their kids.

3. Do not want to put child in a over-competitive environment.
Last edited by Nebbermind on Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor
Posts: 6752
Joined: Fri Jul 18,
Total Likes:71

Re: All About GEP

Post by hquek » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:53 am

On point 3, I think an environment is as competitive as the child/parent wants it to be. So put almost anywhere, competitive sorts can find something to aspire to. GEP or non GEP.

But yes, have come across instances where the child wants to remain in the present school so as to continue his/her life at the top. But I do wonder if that child knows what he/she is missing out on.

zakashi
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Posts: 648
Joined: Fri Feb 18,
Total Likes:1

Re: All About GEP

Post by zakashi » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:01 am

hquek wrote:On point 3, I think an environment is as competitive as the child/parent wants it to be. So put almost anywhere, competitive sorts can find something to aspire to. GEP or non GEP.

But yes, have come across instances where the child wants to remain in the present school so as to continue his/her life at the top. But I do wonder if that child knows what he/she is missing out on.



What is the thing that they will miss out?

Post Reply