35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby Nebbermind » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:06 am

hquek wrote:On point 3, I think an environment is as competitive as the child/parent wants it to be. So put almost anywhere, competitive sorts can find something to aspire to. GEP or non GEP.

But yes, have come across instances where the child wants to remain in the present school so as to continue his/her life at the top. But I do wonder if that child knows what he/she is missing out on.

Not necessarily the child/parents expectation.
I'm sure we read in KSP before that some schools do 'recommend' learning centres to parents when the kids are not meeting their expectation. Donch know how true but this kinda things cannot be un-remembered.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hquek » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:10 am

Nebbermind wrote:
hquek wrote:On point 3, I think an environment is as competitive as the child/parent wants it to be. So put almost anywhere, competitive sorts can find something to aspire to. GEP or non GEP.

But yes, have come across instances where the child wants to remain in the present school so as to continue his/her life at the top. But I do wonder if that child knows what he/she is missing out on.

I'm sure we read in KSP before that some schools do 'recommend' learning centres to parents when the kids are not meeting their expectation. Donch know how true but this kinda things cannot be un-remembered.

I dunno which school but for sure, NYPS GE teachers do not tell parents that. I have heard on multiple occasions where parents go to the teachers after MTP sessions and asked if they should send their kids to external centres. On all those times, the teachers recommended other means the parents should explore (eg how the parent can help, what the child should look out for etc) and never have I heard that.

But this is only for the ones I met; there may well be other teachers in the same/different schools that tell parents to look outwards at any sign of trouble.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Pen88n » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:11 am

Nebbermind wrote:

The lim kopi session with T or P if child not up to the baseline mark is already an indication of school's expectation......

Pen88n
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby zakashi » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:23 am

Having gifted kids in regular classes

Published8 hours ago

In Singapore, academically gifted students are separated from other students.

There are two possible outcomes to having gifted students in classes like mine.

The bad outcome is if gifted students become arrogant and look down on others.

Usually, opportunities, such as becoming prefects, monitors or school representatives in competitions, are given to gifted students. Consequently, the other students get fewer opportunities to shine.

Classrooms will get less harmonious as the other students are always compared with the gifted ones. This will also affect students' self-esteem.

However, the good outcome is if gifted students help the others, and, at the same time,

learn to be humble, helpful and friendly. The whole class will progress faster and all students will have something to gain.

The level of happiness in the class will also increase. This is a win-win situation for all.

Aliza Lim Meng Ping, 11,
Primary 5 pupil

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on September 02, 2015, with the headline ''. Print Edition | Subscribe

zakashi
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Nebbermind » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:25 am

hquek wrote:
I dunno which school but for sure, NYPS GE teachers do not tell parents that. I have heard on multiple occasions where parents go to the teachers after MTP sessions and asked if they should send their kids to external centres. On all those times, the teachers recommended other means the parents should explore (eg how the parent can help, what the child should look out for etc) and never have I heard that.

But this is only for the ones I met; there may well be other teachers in the same/different schools that tell parents to look outwards at any sign of trouble.

But I believe it's a general perception that pressure to perform well is much greater in 'branded' schools so some may just wanna avoid that pressure.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby wcc » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:28 am

Nebbermind wrote:
hquek wrote:

But I believe it's a general perception that pressure to perform well is much greater in 'branded' schools so some may just wanna avoid that pressure.

Actually, for my child's school, they do not advocate tuition as well. They always say that tuition is not necessary. Any problem, to approach school teachers.

wcc
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby wcc » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:35 am

zakashi wrote:

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on September 02, 2015, with the headline ''. Print Edition | Subscribe

From what I see in the school, the GEP students are trying to cope with their more demanding school works and do not have time to really feel that they are superior to other mainstream students. As a matter of fact, in my child's school, most of the students are very humble.

As for opportunities for competition, it's usually not just restricted to GEP students. The mainstream students went for the same Math Olympic and overseas learning journey together with the GEP students too. At least this is what I see in my child's school.

wcc
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby hquek » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:37 am

wcc wrote:
zakashi wrote:

From what I see in the school, the GEP students are trying to cope with their more demanding school works and do not have time to really feel that they are superior to other mainstream students. As a matter of fact, in my child's school, most of the students are very humble.

As for opportunities for competition, it's usually not just restricted to GEP students. The mainstream students went for the same Math Olympic and overseas learning journey together with the GEP students too. At least this is what I see in my child's school.

Well, putting the gifted kids together will definitely be a humbling experience for most of the class. It's really in this environment one sees who are the truly gifted and who are just ok, not too bad.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby iRabbit » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:23 pm

Nebbermind wrote:
zakashi wrote:I wonder what makes selected Geppers refused to join GEP.

1. Did not want to be uprooted. They could be treated very well in existing schools, well liked by teachers, given plenty of opportunities, hold important leadership positions etc.

2. GEP not so important. Parents are capable and have been providing 'beyond classroom' kind of education to their kids.

3. Do not want to put child in a over-competitive environment.

4. Religion.

iRabbit
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby iRabbit » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:28 pm

sleepy wrote:If compare P4 and P5 workload, P5 is way more hectic

Agree, just that mabbe after one year of practice, our kids got more efficient at work and do can complete more stuff within the same amount of time.

And P5 does have a lot more additional activities such as ISO and master classes which take a fair bit of time.

I hope that in P6, sch will refocus on PSLE and cut down on the amount of project work.

iRabbit
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres