Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby sleepy » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:26 pm

iRabbit wrote:
I hope that in P6, sch will refocus on PSLE and cut down on the amount of project work.

Only after mid year exam then teachers will commence on psle practice papers and prelim papers.

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Joy of Learning 111 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:46 am

hquek wrote:Well, putting the gifted kids together will definitely be a humbling experience for most of the class. It's really in this environment one sees who are the truly gifted and who are just ok, not too bad.

This might cut both ways.

I have privately tutored several GEP students in English. Few of them impressed me; those who impressed me did so in respect of mathematical skills, not language ability. Of course, my sample size might be small and those students have self-selected themselves on the basis of weak English. Still, my impression is that there is a wide variability in giftedness, and that many mainstream students can hold their own against most GEP students. Perhaps some mainstream students were late bloomers and should have been picked for the GEP or some GEP students were marginal during the selection exercise.

Joy of Learning 111
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby hquek » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:53 am

Joy of Learning 111 wrote:
hquek wrote:Well, putting the gifted kids together will definitely be a humbling experience for most of the class. It's really in this environment one sees who are the truly gifted and who are just ok, not too bad.

This might cut both ways.

I have privately tutored several GEP students in English. Few of them impressed me; those who impressed me did so in respect of mathematical skills, not language ability. Of course, my sample size might be small and those students have self-selected themselves on the basis of weak English. Still, my impression is that there is a wide variability in giftedness, and that many mainstream students can hold their own against most GEP students. Perhaps some mainstream students were late bloomers and should have been picked for the GEP or some GEP students were marginal during the selection exercise.

There definitely is a wide variability in giftedness - some are extremely strong in maths/science, others in languages, and then there are the amazing ones who cover ALL. If they only take in those that are gifted in EVERYTHING, I don't think they will need 9 centres.

FYI, some mainstreamers chose to stay in mainstream despite being selected for GEP. These are definitely not latebloomers, so not all mainstreamers would have gotten that 'label' had they so wanted at the end of primary 3.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Joy of Learning 111 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:03 am

hquek wrote:and then there are the amazing ones who cover ALL. If they only take in those that are gifted in EVERYTHING, I don't think they will need 9 centres.

In my opinion, I would expect those who are classified as gifted to have all-round general strength. This does not mean exceptional performance in everything, but should mean significantly above average performance across the board. Perhaps the resources devoted to nine centres would be better utilised in mainstream classes?

hquek wrote:FYI, some mainstreamers chose to stay in mainstream despite being selected for GEP. These are definitely not latebloomers, so not all mainstreamers would have gotten that 'label' had they so wanted at the end of primary 3.

I am aware of that, but it will be an extremely small number of students.

Does MOE publish statistics showing the breakdown of PSLE scores and DSA entrants by programme, that is, differentiating between GEP and non-GEP?

Joy of Learning 111
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Nebbermind » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:15 am

Does anyone have any idea what is the $$$ of resources set aside for each GEPers vs MS?? Any ballpark figures?

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hquek » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:34 am

Nebbermind wrote:Does anyone have any idea what is the $$$ of resources set aside for each GEPers vs MS?? Any ballpark figures?

Besides the so called smaller class, are gep teachers paid so much more that it actually makes a difference?

FYI, my gep class has about 25 I think; in his ex-ms school, top classes have about 40 kids per teacher but on the other end of the spectrum (likely where those children require a lot more help), I see some classes that have 1 teacher to 2 kids (really, I saw the picture in yearbook) or 1 teacher to 8 kids.

I really wonder if gep kids really cost all that much compared to the kids who are struggling. Anyone going to say that resources should not be expended to these children?

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

1 people like this post

Postby Nebbermind » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:08 am

GEP teachers can't be taking much more than MS teachers...my guesstimate would still be <20% at the very most. Also, GEP donch really have to prepare teaching and assessment material coz they are controlled by GEB so why should they be paid that much more?
Additional 20% for a class of 25 means less than 1% more per kid....no?
And to re-distribute 1% to 100 kids instead of one, each with get 0.01% more. OK, the issue is not 0.01% but why should someone get 1% more, right?
Last edited by Nebbermind on Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hquek » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:10 am

Nebbermind wrote:GEP teachers can't be taking much more than MS teachers...my guesstimate would still be <20% at the very most. Also, GEP donch really have to prepare teaching and assessment material coz they are controlled by GEB so why should they be paid that much more?

So far the stuff I see is that DS is in school mostly, working off paper worksheets. Is there really such a cost differential?

And umm, his class also non air-conditioned. :siam:

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby sleepy » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:11 am

I doubt teachers' pay scale influenced by whether they teach gep or mainstream.
Should be paid by their rank. They are civil servants

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:16 am

sleepy wrote:I doubt teachers' pay scale influenced by whether they teach gep or mainstream.
Should be paid by their rank. They are civil servants

Yes, by rank. But they would put in the higher rank teachers instead of what is normally required, eg, a P6 teacher would be trained and end up teaching a P4 GEP class. (That's assuming that P6 teachers are usually of higher rank)

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres