55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby Joy of Learning 111 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:28 am

GEP teachers seem to be specially selected and trained. See:

http://www.moe.gov.sg/education/program ... -teachers/

This presumably would translate into higher salary. I cannot find statistics in the public domain, though.

Joy of Learning 111
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby phtthp » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:37 am

Joy of Learning 111 wrote:GEP teachers seem to be specially selected and trained. See:

hey, the link you provide, is a ... broken link

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby metz2 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:39 am

Joy of Learning 111 wrote:GEP teachers seem to be specially selected and trained. See:

This presumably would translate into higher salary. I cannot find statistics in the public domain, though.

I pressume the GEP teachers are at least degree holders. One gep teacher I knew was teaching in a neighbourhood secondary school before teaching gep in a primary school. But are these GEP teachers getting more paid because they went through the GEP teaching course? No answer to that.

Some GEP teachers are tasked to teach mainstream classes too.
Last edited by metz2 on Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

metz2
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Nebbermind » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:40 am

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:42 am

metz2 wrote:
I pressume the GEP teachers are at least degree holders. One gep teacher I knew was teaching in a secondary school before teaching gep in a primary school. But are these GEP teachers getting more paid because they went through the GEP teaching course? No answer to that.

Some GEP teachers are tasked to teach mainstream classes too.

Heard there are also MS teachers tasked to teach GEP too...maybe at P4 level....not sure.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Joy of Learning 111 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:45 am

Nebbermind wrote:And to re-distribute 1% to 100 kids instead of one, each with get 0.01% more. OK, the issue is not 0.01% but why should someone get 1% more, right?

It comes down to a value judgement. It does not really seem right to think of children in some sort of cost benefit analysis, although I appreciate that there are finite resources. I prefer to see those who are struggling given disproportionate extra help simply because it feels like the right thing to do. However, I do appreciate that others will come to different value judgements, and that is fine.

Joy of Learning 111
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Joy of Learning 111 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:48 am

Yes, that's it. Sorry for the broken link.

Joy of Learning 111
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Nebbermind » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:02 pm

Joy of Learning 111 wrote:
It comes down to a value judgement. It does not really seem right to think of children in some sort of cost benefit analysis, although I appreciate that there are finite resources. I prefer to see those who are struggling given disproportionate extra help simply because it feels like the right thing to do. However, I do appreciate that others will come to different value judgements, and that is fine.

I, too, wish more can be done to those really disadvantaged kids who are not doing well due to the situation they are in.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 1010happy » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:00 pm

may I know whether children should join GEP and why :?:

1010happy
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby HVR » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:41 pm

Personally I think if your child qualify for GEP, then why not? I am skeptical about the effectiveness of the prep program for GEP but let's say your child qualify for GEP without any prep program, the more you should let he or she undergo the GEP program. My reason is simple and straightforward. I think the ability and potential of each child is different. That is why not everyone can achieve the same results in any given examination. Some will score better than the rest no matter how. The GEP program will stretch the potential of the students based on their potential, which the mainstream program may not be able to provide.

I know this is a sensitive subject because no one can accept 'branding' or suggestion that one is inferior than others, that Geppers are better than mainstreamers. I think we should just view them as 'different' and therefore, they need different programs. In any case, there is no guarantee that once you entered GEP, your success in life is assured. We just simply cannot have a one system/program fit all kind of approach because the potentials of the students are not the same.

HVR
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres