35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby hquek » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:33 pm

From the start, parents and kids have always been told by teachers that GEP kids are different, not better. And this how i believe my two kids are (1 ge, 1 ms). Anyone who think gep kids are better just setting themselves up for a fall nia. Life is longer than the next two and a half.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby crm » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:51 pm

This reminds me someone in this forum once said: why must have a test to tell our kids are stupid?

crm
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby zbear » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:59 am

hquek wrote:From the start, parents and kids have always been told by teachers that GEP kids are different, not better. And this how i believe my two kids are (1 ge, 1 ms). Anyone who think gep kids are better just setting themselves up for a fall nia. Life is longer than the next two and a half.

This is what teachers are advised to tell everyone - GEP kids are different n not better, along the same lines as "All schools are Good".

GEP kids have to be different inorder that they perform better ???? :evil:

Everyone knows that most GEPpers perform better than MS, so how to change this mindset which has been in place for many years now?

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sleepy » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:56 am

I don't see difference in behavior or interests regardless mainstream or gep. They like similar movies such as inside out, listen to similar songs e.g. Taylor Swift's and enjoy fast food MacDonald.

Kids are just kids.

If really must pinpoint, maybe processing speed slightly faster? Need minimum repetition. Can self study and learn stuff of particular interests to them.

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hquek » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:17 pm

zbear wrote:
hquek wrote:From the start, parents and kids have always been told by teachers that GEP kids are different, not better. And this how i believe my two kids are (1 ge, 1 ms). Anyone who think gep kids are better just setting themselves up for a fall nia. Life is longer than the next two and a half.

This is what teachers are advised to tell everyone - GEP kids are different n not better, along the same lines as "All schools are Good".

GEP kids have to be different inorder that they perform better ???? :evil:

Everyone knows that most GEPpers perform better than MS, so how to change this mindset which has been in place for many years now?

In terms of academics, yes, the gepper in house catches things faster and is able to do well without much effort. But life is.more than tests and exams. In exam, slip a bit and you lose a few marks ~ still its a good show. In life, you cant slip up. Put in a report with one wrong number and you see hell unleashed. What i try to bring across to the gepper is that exam wise he may be ok, but life aint about exams, there are still plenty of thinhs he need to work towards.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby zbear » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:35 pm

hquek wrote:In terms of academics, yes, the gepper in house catches things faster and is able to do well without much effort. But life is.more than tests and exams. In exam, slip a bit and you lose a few marks ~ still its a good show. In life, you cant slip up. Put in a report with one wrong number and you see hell unleashed. What i try to bring across to the gepper is that exam wise he may be ok, but life aint about exams, there are still plenty of thinhs he need to work towards.

I totally agree with you. However everyone knows that the paper chase is so competitive n Geppers have an advantage in the basic start of academic life.

Come to work, it also depends on luck n who is your ''mountain''. So you can slip up - I have seen so many cases in my previous company.

Anyway, I am not against GEPpers. They are a smart lot n if they are nurtured correctly, they are an asset to society.

:smile:

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby peasants » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:51 pm

This thread is better for information. I cannot catch up on the other thread, I think some of them can start sourcing new school uniforms.

peasants
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby hquek » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:06 pm

peasants wrote:This thread is better for information. I cannot catch up on the other thread, I think some of them can start sourcing new school uniforms.

Possibly but remember that only 1% will get in. Pls dun raise the kid's expectations.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby peasants » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:21 pm

I just treat GEP as another cca for my younger girl. No time too, my elder girl taking psle this year.

peasants
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby hquek » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:32 pm

peasants wrote:I just treat GEP as another cca for my younger girl. No time too, my elder girl taking psle this year.

Congrats to ur yoinger for clearing. All the best to ur older one for psle.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres