55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby iRabbit » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:53 pm

metz2 wrote:
muska wrote:

He had debate in P4 already, P5 going to come again?

Has he been selected for school team?

In my children's schools, the students (geppers and mainstreamers) are trained for debate competitions in P5 & P6. Once selected, there will be more intense preparations.

I heard that in some GEP ctrs, it's compulsory to stay back once or twice a week for project work while others don't have such a requirement. So the amt of after sch hours activities also depends on which GEP Ctr one goes to.

iRabbit
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby bgmum » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:05 pm

muska wrote:
Maple leaf wrote:IRS is at own pace. No need to stay back .Only stay back for CCA, remedial(for weaker subjects by invitation :wink: ). gp discussions are done online. (eg. debate)

Sorry, I am not sure which one are called projects. Besides ISO, SS portfolios?

Thanks maple leaf, by project, i mean big and small..

Like this yr P4, for english, there bigger book review assignment, like paper bag, and hamburger writing, single shard entries, fractured fairy tale...
How about P5?

For SS, is it same as P4, 3 portfolios ?

He had debate in P4 already, P5 going to come again?

How does teacher keep track of P5 IRS? how often being review?

What do they do with the mystery books ERP?

for P5 Chinese, do they start do 2 papers like PSLE, MT and HMT?

sorry for so many question, I hope to hv better idea for P5. This year definitely has given me shock sometimes with the amount of extra assignments..

Hi muska

For IRS - I think it depends on the school and/or teacher who is the mentor. The teacher mentor will set timelines and milestone checks to ensure the pupil is progressing on his/her project. My experience is that the mentor keeps a close tab on the pupils under her charge, meets up every week with them and gives regular advice, so parents can be quite hands-free if they choose to :)

For SS, it's about there, around 3-4 portfolios to do in P5. I recall one particular portfolio has two parts - an Entry 1 and Entry 2, so may be counted as 2.

For mystery books ERP - you can refer to P5 ERP booklist or book list teacher will give out on this topic and get your child to start reading the mystery books to get a sense of how mystery stories are written. In class, the teacher will also teach some techniques on mystery stories writing e.g. how to build up suspense, climax etc. Sometime towards end of Term 1 or in Term 2, pupils will be required to write their own mystery story! It's quite a fun topic for my ds and he enjoyed it and writing his own mystery story very much.

For P5 CL - no split between HCL and CL. For those taking HCL in P4, they will continue to take HCL in P5. Only HCL lessons - there are no separate/additional normal CL lessons. They'll also only do HCL papers.

Hope the above helps!

bgmum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby iRabbit » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:05 am

One year ago, I asked whether P5 would be busier than P4. Okay, seeing ds' workload, P5 is definitely busier than P4, though most pupils would have learned to be more effective in managing projects and timelines.

This time round, I want to ask if P6 is going to be busier than P5. :laugh: Shouldn't be right, since ISO is already done and dusted. :pray:

iRabbit
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby muska » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:28 am

Thank you so much bgmum & irabbit for the p5 info
Last edited by muska on Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

muska
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Maple leaf » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:28 am

If not for the various Maths competitions.and the Masterclass workshop and presentation stuffs this yr.I find that P5 manageable.After last year guidance, this year Ds was on his own.

I was :yikes: when DS told me he wants to spend this holiday preparing for MOs and Spelling Bee competitions . I was like :spank: :heresmyfish: him..

Aiyo, still not aware PSLE is around the corner. This recent SA2. he didn't even had time to finish revising for all subjects. ESp. Science (P4 and P5) and not yet P6 work, only finish one-third while Dunno hv time for PSLE. :slapshead:

BTW, any news of P5 Science results? :nailbite:
EL and CL results out already except CL paper 2 for DS'cluster. :censored:
for

Maple leaf
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby iRabbit » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:07 am

Let's delay the inevitable, ML. :siam:

iRabbit
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby zoolet » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:42 pm

Hi. I need advice from any FTWM here whose DC had already in the programs. can you PM me the following questions:
1) May I know the amount of time your DC will spend in this program compared it used to be?
2) Do they have times for recreational activities?
3) Being a mum, no matter how busy you are, you will still be there to coach them. I travel for my work. I will make sure I'm around during all the important tests and exams for DC. Do you increase your amount of time with them after they are in the programs?
4) What kind of exposures do they have? Is it worthwhile the efforts and time in this program?
5) Does this program require immerse amount of time spent on projects? Do the children need to stay back in school often? My DS will be a latch key boy from next year onward. Currently, he is in a student care that does not help at all. He will have another duty next year is to fetch his sister when she came back from childcare by school bus.

Please just PM me. I want an honest opinion before I make my choice. I'm a FTWM and not really very excited about this program. I have no good grand-parental supports here as the grandparents are way beyond 75 years old to be able to help out. I traveled once every month for my works. I loved my works and I'm not willingly to quit. The following reasons are also pushing me away from quitting:

1) My parents had invested considerable amount of money and time on me. I felt that I'm letting them down if I quit.
2) I need the money to pay my parents monthly allowance and keep aside for my retirement. i don't foresee my DC will do the same as I do now for my parents. Current generation Z is still asking for allowance from their parents. So fat hope my DC will provide for me when I'm old. I'm praying hard they don't ask from me will be good enough for me.
2) I have intention to send my DC to overseas university education which required a considerable of money and budgeting
3) I love corporate world and managing people. I can't imagine myself managing a kid. I'm afraid to run my house like a corporate. I'm really afraid I start to build scorecard and add unnecessary pressure to young kids.
4) I'm so used to fast pace environment. I can't see myself sitting still.
5) I'll miss the luncheon with counter-parts and colleagues.

I really salute to all those mums who are so willing to quit their jobs. They must have the similar struggle I had.

zoolet
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Busymom » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:28 pm

Maple leaf wrote:
muska wrote:Wanna check for P5 gep, what are the big/small projs? How many days of staying back? And anyone can share how much time needed on IRS/CEP?

IRS is at own pace. No need to stay back .Only stay back for CCA, remedial(for weaker subjects by invitation :wink: ). gp discussions are done online. (eg. debate)

Sorry, I am not sure which one are called projects. Besides ISO, SS portfolios?

Only IRS is at own pace. The rest have competition deadlines to adhere to, which can be near SA time too.

Busymom
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Grr_roxy » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:15 pm

Anyone's DC had done IVP for P5 ISO? Can share their experience? We went to IRS exhibition so at least have an idea of what to expect. But DC is more keen on IVP. They need to choose by end of this week.

Grr_roxy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby PiggyLalala » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:18 am

Grr_roxy wrote:Anyone's DC had done IVP for P5 ISO? Can share their experience? We went to IRS exhibition so at least have an idea of what to expect. But DC is more keen on IVP. They need to choose by end of this week.

For IVP, the students are to come up with one invention that will help in solving some of the problems that they have observed in their daily life. There will be one teacher mentor and one external mentor. Each teacher mentor is in charge of a few students. They will set the timeline for them. IVP is easy to do if the child is creative and innovative. The child must have in mind what he wants to 'invent '. It could be something very simple or something more sophisticated. The difficult part is the sourcing of the materials and to come up with the prototype of the product. This is where the parents may need to help the child. You may need to bring the child around to look for suitable materials or to help them to assemble their prototype if it is something sophisticated. I think IVP requires more parental involvement as compare to IRS or ID(not sure if I get the name correct). But the satisfaction is great when the child sees the final product.

PiggyLalala
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres