Must Go
35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby Zann » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:38 pm

2ppaamm wrote:Ya, I also OT, so sorry. But, do you think diet affects a kid's intelligence? Since it has proven that certain food does worsen certain conditions. E.g. some people tell me ginko nuts is really good for brains. This cleaner lady told me that her grandson eats quite a bit of that. If she is telling the truth, her grandson was a president scholar! :shock:

Also, groundnut roots help you to grow tall, etc etc. Anyone tried some brain food?

Where can we buy groundnut and how to prepareit? How do I relate it to the hawker in local or dialet name? I may need this for my GEP (must relate to GEP else later got poking fun again) kid, he is really very short. People says he looks like P1. :cry: Some say many GEP kids are short.

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby KSmom8 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:44 pm

2ppaamm wrote:Checked with some other GEP mothers in our school today. Yep, everyone is quite free... so I think it is the school thing. Glad to be in a relaxed school!

Ha ha! Didn't drink coffee till I was 19. Needed the caffeine then to stay awake to study! My son does not drink coffee or tea - so his reaction to the prospect of tea appreciation outing was "Yucks"!

Thanks for sharing. Most of my son's homework seems to be Chinese. Chinese homework also everyday. Must be his class standard for chinese is not up to the school's! No spelling list, so he spent lots of time yesterday preparing for the Chinese spelling test. I suspect that he is a perfectionist so must know every word!

Very little English and Math homework - he can do them pretty fast and fortunately not so careless. The problem I suspect is that he tends to waste time between tasks. Also, I feel that the level of difficulty for English is higher than the Math.

Have not seen any science worksheet - other than newspaper clippings, he has yet to have any science homework. Don't know the level of difficulty for GEP science.

KSmom8
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Zann » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:09 pm

KSmom8 wrote:
2ppaamm wrote:Checked with some other GEP mothers in our school today. Yep, everyone is quite free... so I think it is the school thing. Glad to be in a relaxed school!

Ha ha! Didn't drink coffee till I was 19. Needed the caffeine then to stay awake to study! My son does not drink coffee or tea - so his reaction to the prospect of tea appreciation outing was "Yucks"!

Yes, among the many types of tea they learn mostly are bitter, but my son appreciate green tea, which according to him it was not bitter. He also appreciate the use of tea set, the process of making tea, the peaceful environment and its setup. Overall, he enjoys the outing. I am not sure why they have such activity may be future GEP kids life going to be stressful and need to know how to relax. :wink:

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby ApronMama » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:40 pm

No more talking? All go fetch their GEP kids liao ...

ApronMama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby syshi » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:50 pm

hahahah... dismissal at 1.30pm...

syshi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby phankao » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:06 pm

2ppaamm wrote:
phankao wrote:Not all top students are in GEP. The top PSLE scorer in Cath High 2009 was the Top Student in the Level every year while he was in primary school. But he was not in GEP - didn't get through the Selection Tests.

That just goes to show not all gifted children are academically inclined, and also that not all bright students can do IQ tests well, or maybe he just developed later than the rest? In any case, there are plenty of opportunities besides GEP, why bother whether or not for making it... :D

Being branded so early may be a 2-edged sword.

Dunno ... my son, for one, never gets into the top academic ranks. At the same time, he has no problems doing fairly well in IQ tests ... altho' not well enough to get into GEP though. hahah! The English must've surely stumped him.

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby syshi » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:18 pm

phankao wrote:
2ppaamm wrote:
phankao wrote:Not all top students are in GEP. The top PSLE scorer in Cath High 2009 was the Top Student in the Level every year while he was in primary school. But he was not in GEP - didn't get through the Selection Tests.

That just goes to show not all gifted children are academically inclined, and also that not all bright students can do IQ tests well, or maybe he just developed later than the rest? In any case, there are plenty of opportunities besides GEP, why bother whether or not for making it... :D

Being branded so early may be a 2-edged sword.

Dunno ... my son, for one, never gets into the top academic ranks. At the same time, he has no problems doing fairly well in IQ tests ... altho' not well enough to get into GEP though. hahah! The English must've surely stumped him.

Most probably on the General Abilities. A lot of children fail at that... English and Math can be trained... but not General Ability

syshi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby TwaTau » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:24 pm

Zann wrote:
2ppaamm wrote:Ya, I also OT, so sorry. But, do you think diet affects a kid's intelligence? Since it has proven that certain food does worsen certain conditions. E.g. some people tell me ginko nuts is really good for brains. This cleaner lady told me that her grandson eats quite a bit of that. If she is telling the truth, her grandson was a president scholar! :shock:

Also, groundnut roots help you to grow tall, etc etc. Anyone tried some brain food?

Where can we buy groundnut and how to prepareit? How do I relate it to the hawker in local or dialet name? I may need this for my GEP (must relate to GEP else later got poking fun again) kid, he is really very short. People says he looks like P1. :cry: Some say many GEP kids are short.

I have seen the groundnut root being sold in Tiong Bahru Market. And yes, that was what my mum suggest to give to my DS, who is also short, but he make up by doing it sideway. He is P5 but about the height of P2. Maybe you are right about GEP kid being short.

TwaTau
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby syshi » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:37 pm

TwaTau wrote:
Zann wrote:

I have seen the groundnut root being sold in Tiong Bahru Market. And yes, that was what my mum suggest to give to my DS, who is also short, but he make up by doing it sideway. He is P5 but about the height of P2. Maybe you are right about GEP kid being short.

Hhhmmm... My DS consider quite tall for his P4... some people thought he is in P6 already... :?

syshi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby 2ppaamm » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:01 pm

Er my son's pretty tall for p4. He is almost 1.5 m. That's some p6 height. Drinks quite a bit of peanut soup. Just like any soup with pork bones or pork meat . Boil and drink like a soup. Whole family can drink especially good for old folks. Heard it gets rid of toxic.

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to GEP