35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby jzp0922 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:09 pm

Omit the all working is not the right way, sometime wrong working maybe get a correct answer.

jzp0922
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby jzp0922 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:10 pm

Omit the all working is not the right way, sometime wrong working maybe get a correct answer.

jzp0922
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby jasst » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:21 pm

Rio wrote:My boy is in P4 tis year n I have stopped looking at his grades. He has always been very strong in Maths but lately he seems to be testing his boundaries. For past papers/assignments, he was always penalised for not writing units, sentence statement, illegible handwriting n the occasional missing steps in working. Imagine my shock few weeks ago he took back a paper which he barely passed. He has omitted ALL the workings. N when I questioned him, he said he wanted to see how many marks the teacher will minus off for no working, n he was still v proud tat he passed!! :stupid:

In his class, they will compete who can finished a paper fastest n has the most correct answers, so they always skip workings. Many a time, they can see the answer n find working redundant. I spoke to some of the kids n they will question me the need of scoring full mark to prove that they r good. But there is no doubt most of the GEP kids are ridiculously strong in maths. A few of them are already tackling sec school maths n always challenging among themselves.

I m learning to manage my boy differently. We revise rules b4 exam like remember to workings, remember to write units, rememberto write clearly. I literally have to 'beg' him to consider the fact I have to face his teacher at PTA, so at least score a decent grade for me :sweat:

Same over here. Can you imagine that for a 5 marks problem sum , she can just simple produce a 3 statement answer? Can you imagine the frustration of the teacher when she wrote out "Do you understand ?"since my girl repeatedly wrote units as u?
In any case, she used to be Super strong in Maths too, nothing short of 100 marks throughout the p1-p3 years .. yet now, I started to see dismal grades in her performance . Even in English whereby she used to churn out decent grades, now I see her paper peppered with stupid grammatical mistakes..or else compositions that are constantly illogical or out of point..

I would not want to point fingers that the gep program is the culprit of the ridiculous change since I doubt it will be any different if she is in the mainstream ..

I just wondered do kids become more rebellious with horrible , complacent attitudes as they promote to upper levels ?

And personally, I feel that most of the kids in her class are Super competitive and to a certain extent, selfish and bigoted at times.. different from what I thought earlier on whereby she would be happier with like-minded kids who can click together.

jasst
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby pokoyoko » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:14 pm

I watched Talking Point on Channel 5 on Thursday.. talked about GEP prep courses haha.. On toggle if you missed it :wink:

pokoyoko
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jasst » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:57 am

I like to seek advice from the experienced gep mum again .

My child's results are back . Her results plummeted from 97 to 89 in SA2. Highest in her class is 93. Average is 82. Saw the paper and at least 8 marks gone due to carelessness . She wasted 20 min or more on a question to the extent that she did not even check the paper 1. 9 marks gone .

Would I see a greater deterioration in p5, since more topics are covered outside of the syllabus?

I do not think anyone scored full marks for this paper. It's not a hard paper .. I would think other gep Centers would have plenty of high achievers.

Science is worse. Low eighties but she has always been weak in that area .. yet, at p4 only with less topics covered, is it a matter of concern ? Time to pack her off for supplementary lessons? Nobody got 90 and above for science ..

What should I do now to get her more prepared for the war next year?

Also, can any kind mothers advise on the topics covered for science for p5?

Many thanks

jasst
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby GTGT » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:19 pm

jasst wrote:I like to seek advice from the experienced gep mum again .

My child's results are back . Her results plummeted from 97 to 89 in SA2. Highest in her class is 93. Average is 82. Saw the paper and at least 8 marks gone due to carelessness . She wasted 20 min or more on a question to the extent that she did not even check the paper 1. 9 marks gone .

Would I see a greater deterioration in p5, since more topics are covered outside of the syllabus?

I do not think anyone scored full marks for this paper. It's not a hard paper .. I would think other gep Centers would have plenty of high achievers.

Science is worse. Low eighties but she has always been weak in that area .. yet, at p4 only with less topics covered, is it a matter of concern ? Time to pack her off for supplementary lessons? Nobody got 90 and above for science ..

What should I do now to get her more prepared for the war next year?

Also, can any kind mothers advise on the topics covered for science for p5?

Many thanks

My boy is in P4 GEP.

Lets Pm

GTGT
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby reddiechan » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:40 pm

Blink
Last edited by reddiechan on Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reddiechan
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby lee_yl » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:25 pm

Talking about Science, for those who are keen to send their kids to TLL GEP Sc, it is very hard to get a weekend slot. I was on waitlist for one whole year. There’s a Monday 7pm-9pm slot available which I didn’t go for it as my DD2 needs time to finish up her daily assignments/projects.

In the end, no choice, I just coached her myself. Really :frustrated: as her Sc is weak yet she don’t listen to me. She got 85.5% for P5 SA2, an average score. I find GEP Eng & GEP Maths teaching materials good. But for GEP Sc, I hope GEB can do more, like provide more notes etc.

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jasst » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:30 pm

Hey , same here.. her science teacher was missing most of the time with the p5 gep kids excursion and camp.. she hardly brings home any homework for science.. even when it is near exams.. it is just a couple a papers

jasst
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby lee_yl » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:04 pm

Yeah, I have a close friend whose DD is in GEP P6 this year but in another centre, who also complains about GEP Sc not as well taught as Eng/Math. So we should just be mindful and see what we can do to help our kids.

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres