35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby Nebbermind » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:17 am

jtoh wrote:To add on to my earlier reply, what is the end goal of a primary school education? If it is a high PSLE score that you're looking for, then mainstream education might better prepare a child for it.

I find that the end goal of GEP isn't the student's PSLE score. It's the process of learning, the journey, the exploration into out-of-syllabus work, the freedom to express and question, to conduct independent research... Most definitely a lot of this isn't immediately relevant to PSLE, but it is interesting and helps train the mind and will prepare them for secondary school. Which is why a lot of GEP students find lower secondary relatively smooth sailing.

That sums it up quite nicely!

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Ruhemut » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:40 pm

I feel so grateful that many veterans shared invaluable experience with newbies. :thankyou:

Ruhemut
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Ruhemut » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:48 pm

I feel so grateful that many veterans shared invaluable experience with newbies. :thankyou:

Ruhemut
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Cloud Cloud » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:06 pm

Nebbermind wrote:
jtoh wrote:To add on to my earlier reply, what is the end goal of a primary school education? If it is a high PSLE score that you're looking for, then mainstream education might better prepare a child for it.

I find that the end goal of GEP isn't the student's PSLE score. It's the process of learning, the journey, the exploration into out-of-syllabus work, the freedom to express and question, to conduct independent research... Most definitely a lot of this isn't immediately relevant to PSLE, but it is interesting and helps train the mind and will prepare them for secondary school. Which is why a lot of GEP students find lower secondary relatively smooth sailing.

That sums it up quite nicely!

Yes, I believe the training from the gep helps. I am happy with DD’s Sec 1 results which are at least 5 marks above the median score. Not bad considering that she only has Maths tuition in a “neighbourhood” tuition centre. I was initially worried because her peers attend tuition at centres like Aspen or Indigo.

Cloud Cloud
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby hquek » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:11 pm

Desmo wrote:No, during Q&A, got parents whose elder kid already in GEP and now is their sibling also got selected into this year GEP, so they were there attending the briefing. So this parent was speaking from experience that his elder kid 'lost' out in the race to DSA as his kid 'did not have anything' to show to gain entry into DSA (seems his kid did not participate enough in the competitions or something but has been diligently doing all the challenging stuff required of a GEP kid)

DS1 did not win any competitions, neither did he represent his pri school in anything significant. He went for cwp and that was about it. HIs list of accomplishments would pale against many of his cohort - some of whom do very well and also represent the school in sports etc. However, he still did manage to get CO & WL - not sure if it was cos of his academic results (not tip top but comfortable ba).

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby winnieng78 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:25 pm

Is it because he has leadership position and cca?

May I know does this mean that the gep kids have their own edu cert competition? I mean right now they will get edu cert if they are in 25% of the cohort.

Going forward, if they don’t take school exam, how to measure them against the cohort?

winnieng78
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby jtoh » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:32 pm

winnieng78 wrote:Is it because he has leadership position and cca?

May I know does this mean that the gep kids have their own edu cert competition? I mean right now they will get edu cert if they are in 25% of the cohort.

Going forward, if they don’t take school exam, how to measure them against the cohort?

The GEP students sit for their own exams which are common across all 9 GEP centres. So in that sense they're measured against their own GEP cohort.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby winnieng78 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:37 pm

So to even aim for the top 25% in the gep will be so impossible!

Nonetheless, I am happy that she achieved something on her own this year. I have to admit I care about the psle score (please don’t roll your eyes at me). Cos my ultimate wish is for her to do decently well, get into a good school and work towards her goals.

Yet when this opportunity comes along, I thought I should support her since she is determined to try. Can only keep my finger crossed

winnieng78
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby hquek » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:02 pm

winnieng78 wrote:Is it because he has leadership position and cca?

not sure if this question was directed to me, and no, I stopped getting such certs after he got into GEP; he wasn't in any leadership position. Figure they are measured against the gep cohort - or maybe against the GEP cohorts in their school only.

In a way, GEP definitely was a humbling experience. you will see all sorts of dragons and phoenixes.
Last edited by hquek on Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby goosiegoose » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:09 pm

Pls don't roll eyes at me too. Heh! Is getting into an affiliated gep centre an important consideration?

goosiegoose
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres