35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby zac's mum » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:41 pm

goosiegoose wrote:I am torn between acs and ny. Nygh was my alma mater so I have lotsa feelings for ny but there is no safety net for DS!

ACSP has double safety net. Affiliated to both ACS Barker and ACS Independent (Express stream only; IB no affilation accorded).

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby goosiegoose » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:42 pm

Yup. This is in the event DC do really badly that the safety net into a good sch O levels track is useful. When they do well, the options are plenty

goosiegoose
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby fable » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:49 pm

I happen to have the Sec School Guide nearby.

ACSP - for boys ACS Barker (Express - 188, N(A) - 155, N(T) 126), ACSI O level - 235
CHS - for boys CHS O level - 240
HPPS - none
Nan Hua - none
Nanyang - for girls only, to NYGH - 250
RGPS - none
Rosyth - none
St Hilda's - St Hilda's Secondary (Express - 188, N(A) - 152, N(T) 134)
TNS - none

fable
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby zac's mum » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:53 pm

:thankyou:

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby goosiegoose » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:58 pm

Does chs have the normal tech NT classes as well? Looks like ACS really want to keep all their boys throughout with the COP so low. Tks.

goosiegoose
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby winnieng78 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:03 pm

I was present at the question and answer session when parent X brought up this point about XXX school.

X said that his son is highly talented in programming, created many games on YouTube etc . His son spends 80% of time programming and 20% time in reading (correct me I am wrong). But he didn’t have any chance or platform to compete and thus, nothing significant on his portfolio ... and X says the grades is not good, though he didn’t quantify the marks. And do he question the panel - so now how???

Just my very personal opinion:

1. I feel that XXX school principal could have spoken up instead of leaving it to moe to take the question.

2. There are actually makeathons or hackathons that might be out there for X to tap on, even if moe or school can not facilitate.

3. I thought it was pretty unfair for him to demand an answer and harped on it since from the start of the brief , moe has been emphasizing that entry to sec school will be based on individual merits.

4. While I want to have safety net, i want advantage during sec sch posting (sorry to be so frank) but I feel we are all going in with eyes open. It is unfair to start accusing the system on that day...

Sorry just my personal opinion

winnieng78
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Cloud Cloud » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:16 pm

winnieng78 wrote:I was present at the question and answer session when parent X brought up this point about XXX school.

X said that his son is highly talented in programming, created many games on YouTube etc . His son spends 80% of time programming and 20% time in reading (correct me I am wrong). But he didn’t have any chance or platform to compete and thus, nothing significant on his portfolio ... and X says the grades is not good, though he didn’t quantify the marks. And do he question the panel - so now how???

Just my very personal opinion:

1. I feel that XXX school principal could have spoken up instead of leaving it to moe to take the question.

2. There are actually makeathons or hackathons that might be out there for X to tap on, even if moe or school can not facilitate.

3. I thought it was pretty unfair for him to demand an answer and harped on it since from the start of the brief , moe has been emphasizing that entry to sec school will be based on individual merits.

4. While I want to have safety net, i want advantage during sec sch posting (sorry to be so frank) but I feel we are all going in with eyes open. It is unfair to start accusing the system on that day...

Sorry just my personal opinion

I recalled from the gep briefing many years back that a few parents were rather confrontational. One of the principals tried to take one of the questions but ended up arguing with the parents. Maybe that is why they try to avoid the “arrow”. I thought the session was for us to understand more about the program and decide whether to go for it. There was really no need to be so confrontational.

MOE has devoted extra resources for the program. But if we think it is not suitable for our children for whatever reasons, just don’t take up the offer. :shrug:

Cloud Cloud
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby jtoh » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:47 pm

Isn't the briefing for new students? Why are the current GEP parents hijacking the briefing and questioning the panel?

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby winnieng78 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:58 pm

Perhaps X has another child in P3...

jtoh wrote:Isn't the briefing for new students? Why are the current GEP parents hijacking the briefing and questioning the panel?

winnieng78
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby jtoh » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:04 pm

winnieng78 wrote:So to even aim for the top 25% in the gep will be so impossible!

Nonetheless, I am happy that she achieved something on her own this year. I have to admit I care about the psle score (please don’t roll your eyes at me). Cos my ultimate wish is for her to do decently well, get into a good school and work towards her goals.

Yet when this opportunity comes along, I thought I should support her since she is determined to try. Can only keep my finger crossed

As someone mentioned earlier, the GEP journey is a humbling one. So many brilliant students in there. Then when you get to a top secondary school, there are even more brilliant students there. Where the cut off point is 260 and many of these students were top kids in their respective primary schools. And then you get to JC and your top all boys/all girls secondary school merges with the affiliated top boys or girls school and all the top scorers from O levels. Even more brilliant students there. So at every step of the way you'll meet lots of brilliant people; people brighter than you. It's good exposure to experience from the start I say. Keeps you humble and on your toes.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres