Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby sean wife » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:26 pm

https://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/foru ... 0&start=80

This link was from 2015.. thought rosyth had such intermingling class all along? Not something new this year it seems. Has anything changed substantially? Actually I thought all GEP centres had such intermingling classes?

sean wife
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Cloud Cloud » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:59 pm

lee_yl wrote:There’s also this kind of intermingling class in RGPS. The girls split when doing non-core stuff like music, PE, art and HCL.

However, GEP and MS somehow seem distant and some even dislike one another. Maybe RG girls are bitchy? Hahaha. This year, one of the girls even did an IRS topic on why GEP girls and MS girls seem distant.

DD attended HCL with MS students and the lessons were held at the MS students classroom. Once, her bag and her friend water bottle were placed outside the classroom when they went to the toilet. She thought the MS students were responsible. However, she does have good friends from MS, especially her school bus friends.

In Sec, no one really cares about whether one is or not a gepper. Her current good friends are mainly from the MS. They get along very well.

Cloud Cloud
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby PlatypusAsia » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:02 am

cutepandabear wrote:Does anyone else get the sense that GEP is reducing their intake each year? Each GEP Centre seems to have downsized. Some centres only have one class. Is it really cos of falling birth rates or do you think GEP is being phased out?

I have, on reliable record that GEP is here to stay. But some centers experience class closures (from 4 to 3, 2 to 1 etc) because MOE/GEB wants to optimize teacher:student ratio to 1:25 at least. Some centers are 1:27. The ones that close had teacher:student ratio as low as 1:16.
In 1 year, 1 school had 63 Geppers in 3 classes. The efficient thing was to have only 2 classes of a total of 54 kids and post the other 9 out to other centers.

PlatypusAsia
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Chew88 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:23 pm

What happens if you decide after enrolling your kid in gep that you want to pull him out to rejoin mainstream? Does the gep school accommodate or you have to look for another? Anyone with experience here?

Chew88
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby jtoh » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:19 pm

Chew88 wrote:What happens if you decide after enrolling your kid in gep that you want to pull him out to rejoin mainstream? Does the gep school accommodate or you have to look for another? Anyone with experience here?

If the GEP school has vacancies in its mainstream classes it will accomodate you. Otherwise GE Branch will find a place for you.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby camleelaa » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:25 am

Dear parents,

I may be guilty of being too sanguine. But from my personal experience of the program, I say Chill. When your child qualifies for the GEP, you should know upfront that the variability of his outcome in life is greatly reduced, and in fact skewed towards a positive outcome. The purpose of an education is to prepare our children for life. Rather than getting more worried about how difficult the academic program is, you should worry less about their final outcome.

Let me share some empirical data with you. In my time, all primary GEP students were guaranteed places at RI, RGS, ACS, but no concessions were made at O levels for entry to JC. Out of my secondary school GEP batch of 72, only one went to a JC other than Hwa Chong or RJC. From a class of 24, there were 9 doctors, 4 lawyers alone. That’s only a shorthand for the definition of success; there are many more in other fields (including myself, I daresay) who are doing very well. And, students who were “average” in the GEP still have good outcomes (lawyers, doctors etc). That is to say, most of them rank as outstanding when compared to the wider MS cohort.

That’s not to say there won’t be individuals who underperform or who who take a different, non-conventional path in life. But think about it - if serious application and hard work is one of the key ingredients of success, your child has a far better chance to develop these qualities in the program than outside it. I coasted and day-dreamed throughout lower primary, turning in perfect scores effortlessly. Were it not for the GEP, I would have presumably turned daydreaming into a chronic habit by the time I reached secondary school, whereupon it might be too late. I am eternally grateful to the program for humbling me and teaching me the value of hard work!

Do not worry about your GEP children’s academic success, for they have been blessed with above-average intelligence and talents. Worry instead about their emotions and social skills. These are far more important markers for a fulfilling career and family life, than PSLE grades ever will be. Work on their social skills, for the children may suffer from a misguided sense of exclusivity. Teach them that they are not superior individuals, that what they have is a gift and not a right. Always check in with their emotions, for gifted children tend to feel things more deeply, and their emotions may at times cause them harm and at times hold them back from their true potential.

Your top 1% child will grow up, with high certainty, to be in the top 5-10% in society (this is not empirical, only my estimate). However, the top 0.1% by power or wealth may still come from MS. There are so many talented and driven people not from the GEP. Children should be taught this fact as early as possible. But once your child has gotten into the GEP, odds are he/she is set on a fairly good path in life.

camleelaa
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby cutepandabear » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:08 am

Thank you for your heartfelt post. Good reminders.

cutepandabear
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby cutepandabear » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:09 am

cutepandabear
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby cutepandabear » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:10 am

cutepandabear
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Pristangly » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:15 am

Hi I know it's rather late now..hopefully not..I would like to send my p3 girl for gep pre course. What are the options available ?Tks

Pristangly
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres