Must Go
35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby vlim » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:12 am

Oh that boy was selected to represent Singapore to participate in the 12th Primary Maths World Contest in Hong Kong in July 2008. And he was awarded First Class Honour for individual performance :D

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 2ppaamm » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:16 am

Way2GO wrote:
2ppaamm wrote: BTW, does anyone want the rubrics for the family tree? If you need it, please pm me.

I pm u.
Thks.

Hi, sent you an email :D

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby traineeks » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:30 am

phankao wrote:
2ppaamm wrote:
Way2GO wrote:Sorri OT.
This morning I saw ST's headline about a 13 yo boy trying for Uni and I immediately thought of Ainan's case.
As I read further, the contrasts couldn't be more glaring and the unspoken thrust of the headlined article couldn't be more obvious.
How can anyone not be skeptical that ST is free press? :wink:

Hey, I didn't see it leh. Do you have a link to this? DD wants to go uni in June, she is also 13, but DH is against it. I am now in between the two. Would love to read about this case...

It doesn't mean that he would get into the local u for certain, esp since he's interested in applying for the medical school. He took A-levels tho' (thru British Council, not MOE).

Here's part of the article:
http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNew ... 86723.html

Interestingly, I wonder why the article only mentions that he is a "former" student of Rosyth, but fails to mention that he is a CURRENT student of NUS High???
http://sms.math.nus.edu.sg/Competitions/SMO2009.aspx
If I'm not mistaken, he's also a GEP student.

The full article in the straits times did say that he is currently a student in NUSH. He joined NUSH last year but was given leave to prepare for the O and A levels by the school.

While he was with Rosyth, he won platinum in the APMOPS and while with NUSH he was in the top 10 for SMO junior. He was top Malay student of his year. Unlike Ainan whose focus was in chemistry this guy did chemistry, biology, physis and maths.

Even if he does not get into NUS this time, NUSH with its accelerated program and links with NUS can always arrange for him to attend classes at NUS.

traineeks
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Rosie » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:33 am

[quote][/quote]

The article did mention that he 'is enrolled at the NUS High but the school has given him a leave a year ago to concentrate on his exams'.

And according to the article, he was a GEP student at Rosyth.

Rosie
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby vlim » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:35 am

If I am not wrong Rosyth this yr p6 gep also have 2 to 3 very outstanding students..

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 2ppaamm » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:40 am

Wah, very happy to see a Malay boy doing so well. So much for Ainan's parents' claim about racial biasness.

How can do "O" levels in one subject and demand for a place in the u? Just doesn't make sense. Go take that 'A' levels and qualify like the rest. If he cannot, then he is simply not ready.

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:46 am

2ppaamm wrote:Wah, very happy to see a Malay boy doing so well. So much for Ainan's parents' claim about racial biasness.

How can do "O" levels in one subject and demand for a place in the u? Just doesn't make sense. Go take that 'A' levels and qualify like the rest. If he cannot, then he is simply not ready.

ya la our country needs talents ..no racist... :P

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby phankao » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:57 am

2ppaamm wrote:Wah, very happy to see a Malay boy doing so well. So much for Ainan's parents' claim about racial biasness.

In the UK, there are some who take individual o-level or a-level subjects for exams instead of the full set of 8 or 9 subjects at one sitting .. unlike in singapore.

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Blobbi » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:57 am

2ppaamm wrote:How can do "O" levels in one subject and demand for a place in the u? Just doesn't make sense. Go take that 'A' levels and qualify like the rest. If he cannot, then he is simply not ready.

Can you imagine if a regular 18-yo who worked so so hard to qualify for a place at the uni has to give it up for another kid with a single "O" level, just cos that other kid is *young*.

Not fair right?

Blobbi
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Blobbi » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:02 am

phankao wrote:

In the UK, there are some who take individual o-level or a-level subjects for exams instead of the full set of 8 or 9 subjects at one sitting .. unlike in singapore.

Yeah, but that doesn't mean they qualify for a place at the uni based on 1 or 2 subjects mah. We certainly don't hear of anyone else pounding the table to be admitted on that basis.

Blobbi
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to GEP