35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby syshi » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:38 am

Zann wrote:
tired mom wrote:My kid is also in P4 GEP. You mean the teachers are supposed to provide the rubrics with each task, if applicable? Or do we have to ask the teachers specifically for the rubrics? cause she definitely did not receive any. Maybe I should email the teachers to ask :?:

Also, thanks to 2ppaamm for sharing the rubrics with us. It's really a great help!
:thankyou:

My child also in P4 GEP this year and did not receive any rubrics either.

Same for me too... seems like different school/teacher, different method use... so not all GEP same...

syshi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Way2GO » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:44 am

2ppaamm wrote:Anyone can enlighten what they are teaching in Maths?

Herbie wrote:I am also quite clueless abt what is being taught in Maths for GEP P4.

Last few Maths worksheets, my kid has been working on recognising patterns and series. Tot not easy at their age.
I see it as opening their minds from the way the questions are asked.

2ppaamm wrote: Did your school handout any syllabus?

No.

Way2GO
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby syshi » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:46 am

Herbie wrote:I am also quite clueless abt what is being taught in Maths for GEP P4.

Few times my DS came back with worksheet to do, but did not understand fully... when I asked him what the teacher teach, he told me that the teacher haven't teach them... not sure whether my DS blur...
Also sometimes not really clear explanation given... example for 'Whole Number'.
Heard that they were not taught what is 'Whole Number' but rather through the worksheet showing each numbers, etc...

syshi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Clueless as well

Postby musette » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:49 am

Hi,

Not only Maths, also English and Science. For Maths, my dd will come back with a worksheet almost everyday as homework. I can see that they are doing whole numbers for Maths and states of matter for Science but to what extent they are required to know beyond the mainstream syllabus really stumps me!

During the talk at school by the Dep Dir of GEP, she shared that there was a parent who wanted to pull her child out of gep because she (the mother) can't cope with the programme!

musette
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Way2GO » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:58 am

syshi wrote: Few times my DS came back with worksheet to do, but did not understand fully... when I asked him what the teacher teach, he told me that the teacher haven't teach them... not sure whether my DS blur...

For my kid, sometimes the teacher runs through some examples, sometimes no, for the given Maths worksheets.
Most questions, he has to figure them out himself.
I only guide him if he asks, but refrain from doing for him.
The teacher will show them how to answer subsequently in class.

Think we should relax more and trust the teachers to do their job.

Way2GO
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby syshi » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:01 am

Way2GO wrote:
syshi wrote: Few times my DS came back with worksheet to do, but did not understand fully... when I asked him what the teacher teach, he told me that the teacher haven't teach them... not sure whether my DS blur...

For my kid, sometimes the teacher runs through some examples, sometimes no, for the given Maths worksheets.
Most questions, he has to figure them out himself.
I only guide him if he asks, but refrain from doing for him.
The teacher will show them how to answer subsequently in class.

Think we should relax more and trust the teachers to do their job.

Good to know that later part the teacher will show them how to answer...

Thought normally they will show the kids to do before getting them to do the worksheet... seems like the other way round...

For me also try not to interfere so much on their work.. sometimes DS will search himself through internet...

syshi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby turquoise » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:05 am

GEP Math is very different from mainstream. From my dd's experience, (she's in Sec 1 now), there is no need for extra tuition. In fact, her school teachers frowned upon tuition. Just ask your child to pay full attention to the teacher during class and to ask questions if he/she needs clarification. For topics which are also covered in the mainstream syllabus, you can do the harder questions in the normal workbooks as practice. For the Investigation assessment, just practise what's taught in class. The teachers usually provide all the information and worksheets you'll need.

turquoise
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby TwaTau » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:45 am

My DS is in P5 GEP this year. Based on my observation for maths, usually they will have worksheet with 5-6 questions for one topic. The level of difficulty go higher as you work down the numbers. I am quite hand off until DS need some help, and me also need to spend between 15-30 minutes to understand and if I know how to do it, still have to bring it to their level of understanding. I just explain the concept on how to approach the question, and hopefully along the way, it ring a bell inside his head. That why I try to handoff, siong sometime with some of the questions. :idea:

The concept for the maths is mainly to stretch them, and you will be surprise what the kids can do sometimes by leaving them alone to work on it. If they can do it, you can sense their satisfaction in cracking the question.

And if the question is beyond both of us, usually it is ok, as the teacher will show them the solution in the next lesson, or they find out from their classmate.

So my recommendation is minimum interference, let kids figure out themselves first, be it by themselves or discussion with their classmates, and offer now and then some help if they are really clueless.

TwaTau
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby 2ppaamm » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:48 am

Hm... looks like nobody has any idea? I know what they are doing in English and Science. But Maths? Since he has no tuition or any help, I just want to make sure he has good understanding of what was being taught. Yesterday, he came home with some homework on HCF and LCM. He doesn't know what those are? I had to find my own resources and taught him concepts like prime numbers, divisibility and then he could do the worksheets.

Just wondering where all the notes are, or was he listening in class?

I don't think it is a good idea to put the kid in tuition for any subject. Don't want to kill his love for learning. But need to know what the syllabus is, so that I can at least know whether he is on the right track or whether he needs explanation. Hm, nothing leh... Guess I'll write to the teacher...

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Way2GO » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:58 am

TwaTau wrote: siong sometime with some of the questions.

How true..
Didn't encounter this series stuff till much later during my schooling years.

So far, I haven't seen any of mainstream Maths stuff using modelling method.
Would they also be learning this method from your experience?

Way2GO
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres