Must Go
35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby TwaTau » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:02 am

2ppaamm wrote:Hm... looks like nobody has any idea? I know what they are doing in English and Science. But Maths? Since he has no tuition or any help, I just want to make sure he has good understanding of what was being taught. Yesterday, he came home with some homework on HCF and LCM. He doesn't know what those are? I had to find my own resources and taught him concepts like prime numbers, divisibility and then he could do the worksheets.

Just wondering where all the notes are, or was he listening in class?

I don't think it is a good idea to put the kid in tuition for any subject. Don't want to kill his love for learning. But need to know what the syllabus is, so that I can at least know whether he is on the right track or whether he needs explanation. Hm, nothing leh... Guess I'll write to the teacher...

It is the way they are being taught, sometimes I also question my son why are some of the concept in the question not taught in class. The expectation is that they are suppose to do alot of research on their own and then I believe they will reinforce in the subsequent lessons.

Somehow, I realise that GEP like to cramp alot of things in the beginning of the year and things will starts to taper off as time goes by. So hang in there and give alot of support to the kids.

Happy scratching your head on the questions, :frustrated:
Last edited by TwaTau on Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

TwaTau
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby TwaTau » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:08 am

Way2GO wrote:
TwaTau wrote: siong sometime with some of the questions.

How true..
Didn't encounter this series stuff till much later during my schooling years.

So far, I haven't seen any of mainstream Maths stuff using modelling method.
Would they also be learning this method from your experience?

I am seeing more of the modelling question this year in P5 GEP.

They started this year doing decryption of alphabet to numbers, and that is the siong one, and that stretch his homework time till almost 12am, and DS can only do 3 questions out of 6. :cry:

TwaTau
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby syshi » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:12 am

TwaTau wrote:My DS is in P5 GEP this year. Based on my observation for maths, usually they will have worksheet with 5-6 questions for one topic. The level of difficulty go higher as you work down the numbers. I am quite hand off until DS need some help, and me also need to spend between 15-30 minutes to understand and if I know how to do it, still have to bring it to their level of understanding. I just explain the concept on how to approach the question, and hopefully along the way, it ring a bell inside his head. That why I try to handoff, siong sometime with some of the questions. :idea:

Problem with my DS is he know how to do the worksheet... but lost in 'what is the meaning of whole number' thing... :?
Anyway, after he search internet himself, he got the idea... :celebrate:

syshi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Zann » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:39 am

2ppaamm wrote:Hm... looks like nobody has any idea? I know what they are doing in English and Science. But Maths? Since he has no tuition or any help, I just want to make sure he has good understanding of what was being taught. Yesterday, he came home with some homework on HCF and LCM. He doesn't know what those are? I had to find my own resources and taught him concepts like prime numbers, divisibility and then he could do the worksheets.

I don't think it is a good idea to put the kid in tuition for any subject. Don't want to kill his love for learning. But need to know what the syllabus is, so that I can at least know whether he is on the right track or whether he needs explanation. Hm, nothing leh... Guess I'll write to the teacher...

Also saw my ds having HCF & LCM and prime numbers ws yesterday. Sounds like they are doing the same thing though not from same centre. Care to share when you got the GEP maths sylllubus?

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Dharma » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:44 am

Hi 2ppaamm,

For GEP pupils, what MOE GE branch does it to stretch them further beyond the mainstream syllabus. Quite a bit of the stuff done in school will not be required for PSLE (e.g. HCF) but these kids need to be exposed to higher-order thinking stuff to tickle their minds and keep their interest in maths alive and burning.

Topics like number patterns, series, number manipulation, HCF/LCM, divisibility, primes, cryptograms etc are a few to they need to know. They can practice from Lower Sec maths books plus questions from past SMOPS papers/NMOZ papers.

Dharma
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby syshi » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:48 am

Dharma wrote:Topics like number patterns, series, number manipulation, HCF/LCM, divisibility, primes, cryptograms etc are a few to they need to know. They can practice from Lower Sec maths books plus questions from past SMOPS papers/NMOZ papers.

Any idea where to get the SMOPS / NMOZ papers?

syshi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby 2ppaamm » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:59 am

Dharma wrote:SMOPS papers/NMOZ papers.

:whut: is that? :?

In any case, I am not too worried about Maths as long as I can know what they will be doing. I didn't realise HCF and LCM were not part of the PSLE syllabus! Silly me, and to have 3 kids who sat for PSLE already.

It was not difficult to get the concept across, it took about 30 minutes to do that. I will ask for the syllabus, so that I know how to help him research. Otherwise, it is like shooting in the dark, the next thing I know, they could be doing what I teach in tertiary maths?! I'd rather have my materials ready.

Once I get the syllabus, I'd be happy to share, since it looks like they are all doing the same stuff.

Also, what I do is to develop some games online for the kids to play, I need to do that ahead of time.

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Dharma » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:07 am

2ppaamm wrote:
Dharma wrote:SMOPS papers/NMOZ papers.

:whut: is that? :?

SMOPS - Singapore Mathematical Olympiad for Primary Schools (by HCI)
NMOS - National Mathematical Olympiad of Singapore (by NUS High)

Dharma
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby 2ppaamm » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:26 am

Dharma wrote:SMOPS - Singapore Mathematical Olympiad for Primary Schools (by HCI)
NMOS - National Mathematical Olympiad of Singapore (by NUS High)

Aiyoh! Must be so serious ah? Got more fun stuff or not? My son has not yet done any assessment in his life yet leh... He has not yet learnt multiplication with more than 1 digit, i had to teach him last week...

He figured the answers through addition and subtraction and developed his own methods of solving maths questions so far.... how to do such cheem stuff?

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Dharma » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:43 am

2ppaamm wrote:Aiyoh! Must be so serious ah? Got more fun stuff or not? My son has not yet done any assessment in his life yet leh... He has not yet learnt multiplication with more than 1 digit, i had to teach him last week...

He figured the answers through addition and subtraction and developed his own methods of solving maths questions so far.... how to do such cheem stuff?

Not so cheem lah friend. Meant for P5/P6. No need to do assessments. Just expose him to the beauty of numbers and he'll love them.

Dharma
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres