Must Go
35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby 2ppaamm » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:00 pm

Dharma wrote:Not so cheem lah friend. Meant for P5/P6. No need to do assessments. Just expose him to the beauty of numbers and he'll love them.

Ok, will give it a shot. Where to buy the books?

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby turquoise » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:10 pm

Dharma wrote:Not so cheem lah friend. Meant for P5/P6. No need to do assessments. Just expose him to the beauty of numbers and he'll love them.

I agree with Dharma. There's no need to do extra assessments. The GEP syllabus is structured to tickle their minds, to push them. They will all manage fine.

I remember going through what you're going through now, wondering how to help my dd revise her studies. In the end, I left it to her, and she managed very well on her own. Trust me when i say the teachers do prepare your kids very well and they will clear any doubts they have. At least at my dd's school.

There will be times when they'll come home with homework and you'll lament that you only did it in Secondary or JC or even something you can't solve despite your University degree. That's fine. You'll be amazed at how your child is able to solve the problems on their own.

turquoise
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby 2ppaamm » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:15 pm

turquoise wrote:There will be times when they'll come home with homework and you'll lament that you only did it in Secondary or JC or even something you can't solve despite your University degree. That's fine. You'll be amazed at how your child is able to solve the problems on their own.

:thankyou:

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Way2GO » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:40 pm

turquoise wrote: Trust me when i say the teachers do prepare your kids very well and they will clear any doubts they have. At least at my dd's school.

Which school was ur dd at, if u don't mind saying?

Way2GO
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:14 pm

I personally feel that no need to be so kan chong or worried about their syllabus...let the teachers guide them along...To pre-prepare them would be a stress to the kids too as the programmes and work aren't easy.... Let them learn one thing at a time...as long as the kids are serious with their work it should be ok..otherwise parents can always liaise with the subject teacher to clear their doubts or worries.

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Dharma » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:34 pm

2ppaamm wrote:

Ok, will give it a shot. Where to buy the books?

Great!

SMOPS books ... used to get them from bookshop at HCI canteen. NMOS books ... can call NUS High.

Alternatively, u may get them both at Maths Hub.

Dharma
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Murderous Maths

Postby cchew » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:18 pm

http://www.murderousmaths.co.uk/books/books.htm

This is a good set of books for the children to read which covers some of the depth of maths.

cchew
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby mathsparks » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:18 pm

Totally agree with vlim. Dont need so gan cheong at all. At P4, let them manage without tuition. Don't follow them too closely. They need to learn to take ownership of the project instead of letting mummy plan the tasks and schedule from start to finish. And, the filing is very important too. Leave it to your child to do it, train them to be independent because P4 is still quite a honeymoon year...

Popular sells Olympic Maths books (not those from HCI/NUSH). Maths Oasis would've the past years from HCI/NUSH. But call, in case, they've no stocks.

I used to be able to find sample SMOPS papers online but cant find the link now.

mathsparks
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby turquoise » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:22 pm

Way2GO wrote:
turquoise wrote: Trust me when i say the teachers do prepare your kids very well and they will clear any doubts they have. At least at my dd's school.

RGPS

turquoise
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Way2GO » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:28 pm

turquoise wrote:
Way2GO wrote:

RGPS

Thks for sharing
:celebrate:

Way2GO
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

LEARNConcierge