35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby Herbie » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:06 pm

Hi Turquoise,

I tot of switching my DD's maths enrichment class at TLL to Olympaid Maths course (but I am not sure where).

What do u think?

Btw, what is the workload like for P4 GEP.. It is heavy? Or P4 GEP is a honeymoon year so they can still have time to learn other non academic stuff?

Kindly advise. Tx

:D

Herbie
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:10 pm

Lemongal wrote:My Ds was doing MT in his previous school. Now he doing HMT in Pri 4 GEP. He don't like it. I so stressed. Anyone have the same issue :?:

Hi, my ds used to study HMT when he was p1 to p3 as his was studying in a SAP school. When he was in p4 gep last yr, he was also taking HMT. However, the worksheets of gep HMT and mainstream HMT are different... they are more difficult ... My ds also didn't like it initially..I also feel stress when he was required to write abt how kite was make in mandarin!!! :shock: We were then busy searching through the internet.... Now, p5, kind of use to it already...So no choice got to endure and help them in their worksheet when necessary.. :roll:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby TwaTau » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:39 pm

Herbie wrote:Hi Turquoise,

I tot of switching my DD's maths enrichment class at TLL to Olympaid Maths course (but I am not sure where).

What do u think?

Btw, what is the workload like for P4 GEP.. It is heavy? Or P4 GEP is a honeymoon year so they can still have time to learn other non academic stuff?

Kindly advise. Tx

My DS school offer the olympiad maths in school, from an external vendor. Attend once a week. Check with your DD's school whether they are offering this.

My observation is the beginning of P4 GEP year starts with heavy load and then it taper down towards end of year. Or maybe it is due to the initial adjustment that make the kids less efficient. My DS seems to be coping well this year in P5 GEP. He even took up additional CCA in school this year.

TwaTau
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby turquoise » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:12 pm

What do u think?

Kindly advise. Tx

P4 GEP is designed to be fun & exploratory, with lots of excursions and the workload really isn't very heavy. It's just a matter of getting used to. A lot of what is done in P4, ie research studies, computer studies etc is in preparation for P5. In P5 the kids will be taking part in a lot of competitions, like IVP, FPS, Robotics etc, depending on their choice of research studies. The projects get more intense in P5 too. Having said that, a lot of the girls manage to do a number of non-academic activities such as music, dance, sports etc. Of course they're a lot busier than their mainstream counterparts, but they do have time to play. Just don't load them up with tuition.

Math Olympiad training is a good exposure to Math outside of the school syllabus. If your dd has a keen interest in these sorts of questions, she will probably enjoy the course.

turquoise
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby 2ppaamm » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:13 pm

My little take on TLL which prides itself for producing top pale results . Of course lah good input good output ma.

When ds1 was in p5 6 years ago I walked past and was impressed with their results so I put down all my 3 kids' names down . They were supposed to put in their particulars and sit for an entrance test before being 'accepted' . I thought how strange ... Tuition is supposed to help the weak but they gave me a whole lot of reasons like matching the kids to he clas etc.

They called me a few ddays later and told me all my 3 kids need not take that entrance exam because their school results were impressive so I was to bring them to register. So strange again what happened to the 'streaming'?

When we were there they presented us with this 'contract' which says we were not to divulge what they taught to others. My son was the first to have go sign. He read the contract and then asked why he had to sign it. The lady told him that it was to help him do better and if his friends do not know the secrets to his success he can do better. My son shook his head. He said we should share good things with friends and he cannot agree go tll values. The lady told himthat the centre could not accept him then. Ds1 just smiled. He did not know mummy was so proud of him till this day.

Have we forgotten to teach our kids more important values in the name of pursuing academic excellence?

What would your response be? Tll will never get my biz.

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 2ppaamm » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:13 pm

My little take on TLL which prides itself for producing top pale results . Of course lah good input good output ma.

When ds1 was in p5 6 years ago I walked past and was impressed with their results so I put down all my 3 kids' names down . They were supposed to put in their particulars and sit for an entrance test before being 'accepted' . I thought how strange ... Tuition is supposed to help the weak but they gave me a whole lot of reasons like matching the kids to he clas etc.

They called me a few ddays later and told me all my 3 kids need not take that entrance exam because their school results were impressive so I was to bring them to register. So strange again what happened to the 'streaming'?

When we were there they presented us with this 'contract' which says we were not to divulge what they taught to others. My son was the first to have go sign. He read the contract and then asked why he had to sign it. The lady told him that it was to help him do better and if his friends do not know the secrets to his success he can do better. My son shook his head. He said we should share good things with friends and he cannot agree go tll values. The lady told himthat the centre could not accept him then. Ds1 just smiled. He did not know mummy was so proud of him till this day.

Have we forgotten to teach our kids more important values in the name of pursuing academic excellence?

What would your response be? Tll will never get my biz.

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:06 pm

TwaTau wrote:

What do u think?

Kindly advise. Tx

My DS school offer the olympiad maths in school, from an external vendor. Attend once a week. Check with your DD's school whether they are offering this.

My observation is the beginning of P4 GEP year starts with heavy load and then it taper down towards end of year. Or maybe it is due to the initial adjustment that make the kids less efficient. My DS seems to be coping well this year in P5 GEP. He even took up additional CCA in school this year.

my ds also experiencing the same thing as your ds...

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby syshi » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:39 pm

vlim wrote:I think normally the class are scolded due to the students making too much noise or not behaving well right :roll: I don't think they will be scolded because they are academically not so good...

That's what I told my DS...

But don't know where they got that perception from... :wink:

syshi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby vlim » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:49 pm

syshi wrote:
vlim wrote:I think normally the class are scolded due to the students making too much noise or not behaving well right :roll: I don't think they will be scolded because they are academically not so good...

That's what I told my DS...

But don't know where they got that perception from... :wink:

aiya though academically they have higher ability...but they are still kids .. so is normal for them to have this 'childish' perception... :wink:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Herbie » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:03 pm

Hi 2ppaamm
Btw, my DD did not signed any contract at TLL....

Hi TwaTau
I think my DD's school does not have any vendor that teaches Olympiad Maths. I think only Rosynth Primary School has a 'inhouse vendor' which provide such service.

Hi Turquoise
Thanks for yr sharing.

Herbie
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres