35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby 2ppaamm » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:50 pm

Herbie wrote:Hi 2ppaamm
Btw, my DD did not signed any contract at TLL....

Maybe they changed it, or they don't explain any more. Anyway, just wondering why centres are set up for bright students. If MOE's GEP selection is correct, the GEPers will do well in PSLE anyway, so why are centres set up to train these students further. Is it any surprise they display all those glorious results on their windows?

If you pass the selection test, it means you don't need tuition. I find it so ironical lor. And then, there are so many I know who are non GEPers and truly need help who are turned away. Are they helping their own pockets or are they helping the kids?

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby TwaTau » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:15 pm

Herbie wrote:Hi 2ppaamm
Btw, my DD did not signed any contract at TLL....

Hi TwaTau
I think my DD's school does not have any vendor that teaches Olympiad Maths. I think only Rosynth Primary School has a 'inhouse vendor' which provide such service.

Hi Turquoise
Thanks for yr sharing.

HPPS engage EMC Workshops to conduct the Math Olympiad programme. Maybe you can give them a call directly. The classes are conducted in school once a week and I think they open for everyone.

TwaTau
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby mathsparks » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:41 pm

Both my kids have benefited from TLL's English program, so I would like to share what I know to correct the misimpression of them.

They didn't take entry tests. Son was in remedial in P4, so I signed him up and he got his A* last year. Girl didn't do well in Sec3 and I signed her up, around term3 and she got her A.

So, it's quite unfair to say that they take in students who are already doing well, hence the excellent results. I credit both my kids English grades to TLL.

Both don't recall having signed such a contract either, though at the end of each worksheet is the standard copyright clause.

PS: Not trying to haolian my kids grades, just sharing my gratitude of the centre.
Last edited by mathsparks on Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mathsparks
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Way2GO » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:08 pm

pecalis wrote:Hi, is the Reading booklist out for P4 GEP? Would like to know the titles and get him to start reading. TIA :)

I hv the Reading List for GE4 fr NYPS. pm me ur email if u need it.
Maybe different from ur kid's school.
NYPS has asignments based on this Reading List,
so u may want to check with ur kid's school teachers?

Way2GO
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 2ppaamm » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:35 pm

mathsparks wrote:I credit both my kids English grades to TLL.

Wouldn't you credit his GEP English teacher for his excellent grade rather than TLL? Your son's probably on remedial based on GEP standard. Remember, GEPers are supposed to be top 1%, so his bad can't be that bad. When I mean bad, it means those who can't even pass kind. TLL has flatly refused many I know. Also, why would they test your son, he is a GEPer, a diamond for them... they know they can make him perform.

If tuition centres are that good, then why do we bother to send the kids to schools? That's 6 hours wasted everyday...

Good tuition centres should help the weak. In fact, if there be a measure, it should be something like the schools' value-added kind of thing.

Anyway, not important lah... I just shared my experience and views that's all, I know this shadow education system is here to stay. It is a multi-million dollar industry that will not go out of business anytime soon. Ethical or not.

And, of course I don't think you how lian lah... :lol:

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mathsparks » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:51 pm

Ermm 2ppaamm, my girl's not geper. And of course, lots of credit goes to his school teachers as well. :oops: only I forgot to thank them in my earlier post.

But I've always wondered without that extra help from TLL, he might've gotten an A instead. I guess I'd never know.

mathsparks
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 2ppaamm » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:02 pm

mathsparks wrote:Ermm 2ppaamm, my girl's not geper. And of course, lots of credit goes to his school teachers as well. :oops: only I forgot to thank them in my earlier post.

But I've always wondered without that extra help from TLL, he might've gotten an A instead. I guess I'd never know.

Mathsparks, I'm quite sure he would have held his own. He sounded like a really bright and capable boy.

Not how lian here as well. My own daughter also got A* for English without any tuition. The only help she got is from reading books. I can't help her due to my own tight schedule. And, my daughter is not even a GEPer. So, I strongly believe GEPers really don't need the tuition if the aim is to get A* for PSLE. I'd really prefer to release the time for my kids to run around and read books of all genre. Do more sports and chat with friends and work on the EQ.

These tuition centres should really release their resources and help the weaker kids who otherwise cannot make it. Honestly, I think all GEPers will make it. Unless of course... MOE's test is flawed... unlikely, don't you think?

What I don't like is not GEPer having tuition, but tuition centres scanning and choosing good students for themselves, and deny those who need their help. They've lost the real meaning of education, switching it for money. Honestly, not to OT here, GEPers are pre-scanned and pre-qualified customers for them.
Last edited by 2ppaamm on Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mathsparks » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:09 pm

2ppaamm wrote:Unless of course... MOE's test is flawed... unlikely, don't you think?

Nah, I've faith in their screening tests. But I also know that my kid is good in Maths and Science but not languages. He loves reading Eng books though. Perhaps, I was being kiasu when I sign him up. But you know what, his T-score was beyond our expectation.

mathsparks
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 2ppaamm » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:12 pm

mathsparks wrote:beyond our expectation.

Really good yeah? Congrats!!!

Here again, another thought. Imagine if your kid did the same score without tuition, or just a tad lower without tuition. Do you think he will feel differently about himself? Would that have given him a different kind of confidence? You know the Dumbo (flying elephant) story? Could you have given him a feather he didn't need? Just wondering what you think...

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 2ppaamm » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:21 pm

O, any of the kids doing the language game competition? Can they submit individual instead of group projects, anyone knows? The rules says 3-4 members...

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres