Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby csc » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:27 pm

2ppaamm wrote:
Herbie wrote:Hi 2ppaamm

Nope. My DD will get bored if she is learning the same english rules etc at TLL.

I am shocked, you mean they do not teach english rules in schools nowadays, and we have to send our kids to tuition centres to do that?

I don't know about the rest but my children's school do. :lol:

csc
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby keroppi » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:46 pm

csc wrote:
2ppaamm wrote:
Herbie wrote:Hi 2ppaamm

Nope. My DD will get bored if she is learning the same english rules etc at TLL.

I am shocked, you mean they do not teach english rules in schools nowadays, and we have to send our kids to tuition centres to do that?

I don't know about the rest but my children's school do. :lol:

My DS school does too. And it's very in-depth too. I learnt a lot from the GE English notes last year at P4.

keroppi
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby 2ppaamm » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:24 pm

Hm... beginning to wonder why the difference now.... some schools do and some schools don't. I feel that if we are already sending our kids to school for 6 hours, basic things like these should be covered. I was persuaded that they will even cover other enrichment stuff during that 6 hours as well...

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby csc » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:32 pm

2ppaamm wrote:Hm... beginning to wonder why the difference now.... some schools do and some schools don't. I feel that if we are already sending our kids to school for 6 hours, basic things like these should be covered. I was persuaded that they will even cover other enrichment stuff during that 6 hours as well...

My children's English teacher(mainstream) not only drilled them in the grammar rules. She even taught them good writing skills. I don't have to pay a single cent on English enrichment courses for them.

Both scored distinctions in their PSLE. (hao lian a bit)

Credit definitely goes to their teachers especially their P6 teacher and of course, me lah - for instilling in them a habit of reading since birth. :wink:

csc
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mathsparks » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:10 pm

Zann wrote:Hi Mathspark, may be you can help understand how and what they teach to make it so effective for GEP English, understand your GPE ds tried it and got A* for PSLE. How about GEP English, how did he do after attending the said tuition/enrichment? ...Should be good lah since he got DSA offer from RI. Understand many GEP kids can't cope with the high expectation of GEP English subsequently and need attend GEP English remedial. But for those who can cope, I do agree it is not neccessary to attend such tuition. I hope my ds can't cope on his own and then I can't save the $$.

Hi Zann,
You can read some of my comments http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... c&start=90

But please dont get the wrong impression that TLL can do miracles. My boy loves reading all sorts of books since nursery, hence his vocab is superb (words I've never seen/heard before, ask him and he'd know) though he used to be a bit confused with grammar rules.

I signed him up when I realised he was in remedial in P4. Didn't want to wait till too late to bring up his standard. There's only so much the schools can do within the limited time; TLL went into specifics of compo/compre/oral (but the oral training of Lorna W is better) and I was surprised when they even conducted mock DSA interviews for the P6s.

Read somewhere here about TLL Maths. My 2 cts - If your child is good in Maths, give TLL Maths a miss and sign up for competition maths training (various centres like Maths Hub/Maths Oasis) instead.

Oh, btw, to those GEP kids keen on going to RI, your chances are very high. Based on my guesstimate, there're about 170+ GEP boys in RI Sec1. So work hard on maintaining your averages, dont slack and you'll get in to your dream school.

mathsparks
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Zann » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:22 am

2ppaamm wrote:
Zann wrote:I hope my ds can't cope on his own and then I can't save the $$.

:rotflmao: this must be a typo, right? BTW, do you know when do they decide to put or not put a kid in the remedial?

Heh, heh! just back home from my tiring mid-night shopping at China town. Brought my children to experience the night scene and shopping there.

Oops! you are right it is a typo error. Definitely I hope my ds CAN cope and then I don't have to send him for any tuition and able to saave $$.

Perhaps, by end of CA1 they will base on the result to decide who to attend rememial. BTW will there be CA1? So far no schedulle from my school leh :?

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby 2ppaamm » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:24 am

Zann wrote:Perhaps, by end of CA1 they will base on the result to decide who to attend rememial. BTW will there be CA1? So far no schedulle from my school leh :?

Our CA will be in May. Maths in April. The English common test (since it is common, I reckon all GEP students will take the same test) will include English Comprehension and Comprehension Cloze. Are you sure you don't have the time table? I can PM you mine.

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:00 am

First of all Happy New Year to all gepers mums and dads!
My ds told me that a few of the p5 gepers who take ivp as iso project are selected to attend an ivp event at HCI in April..Any parents know what is it about.. :?

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ApronMama » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:30 am

csc wrote:
2ppaamm wrote:Hm... beginning to wonder why the difference now.... some schools do and some schools don't. I feel that if we are already sending our kids to school for 6 hours, basic things like these should be covered. I was persuaded that they will even cover other enrichment stuff during that 6 hours as well...

My children's English teacher(mainstream) not only drilled them in the grammar rules. She even taught them good writing skills. I don't have to pay a single cent on English enrichment courses for them.

Both scored distinctions in their PSLE. (hao lian a bit)

Credit definitely goes to their teachers especially their P6 teacher and of course, me lah - for instilling in them a habit of reading since birth. :wink:

My child dooes badly (1 out of 5 correct) in vocab MCQ in paper 2. pls advise how your school teachers train them to score this portion. Thanks.

ApronMama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Zann » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:42 pm

2ppaamm wrote:
Zann wrote:Perhaps, by end of CA1 they will base on the result to decide who to attend rememial. BTW will there be CA1? So far no schedulle from my school leh :?

Our CA will be in May. Maths in April. The English common test (since it is common, I reckon all GEP students will take the same test) will include English Comprehension and Comprehension Cloze. Are you sure you don't have the time table? I can PM you mine.

Hi 2ppaamm, yes pls PM me your schedule time table. Really, I dig and dig his bag again and did not find any time table for CA in April and May, except for HCL.

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres