Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby csc » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:52 pm

ApronMama wrote:
csc wrote:
2ppaamm wrote:Hm... beginning to wonder why the difference now.... some schools do and some schools don't. I feel that if we are already sending our kids to school for 6 hours, basic things like these should be covered. I was persuaded that they will even cover other enrichment stuff during that 6 hours as well...

My children's English teacher(mainstream) not only drilled them in the grammar rules. She even taught them good writing skills. I don't have to pay a single cent on English enrichment courses for them.

Both scored distinctions in their PSLE. (hao lian a bit)

Credit definitely goes to their teachers especially their P6 teacher and of course, me lah - for instilling in them a habit of reading since birth. :wink:

My child dooes badly (1 out of 5 correct) in vocab MCQ in paper 2. pls advise how your school teachers train them to score this portion. Thanks.

The teacher only drilled them in grammar. As for vocab, there wasn't much drilling done except that she required the class to read a specified number of books and made them write down a list of good phrases and vocabulary from the books read . Also, the class has to submit 1-2 newspaper articles per week where the students are required to find the meaning of new words and write a short review.

From my own experience, vocabulary is something that is 'caught' not 'taught'. If the child reads enough, it is a natural tendency to pick up a lot of new vocabulary along the way.

csc
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 2ppaamm » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:40 pm

csc wrote:
ApronMama wrote:
csc wrote:
2ppaamm wrote:Hm... beginning to wonder why the difference now.... some schools do and some schools don't. I feel that if we are already sending our kids to school for 6 hours, basic things like these should be covered. I was persuaded that they will even cover other enrichment stuff during that 6 hours as well...

My children's English teacher(mainstream) not only drilled them in the grammar rules. She even taught them good writing skills. I don't have to pay a single cent on English enrichment courses for them.

Both scored distinctions in their PSLE. (hao lian a bit)

Credit definitely goes to their teachers especially their P6 teacher and of course, me lah - for instilling in them a habit of reading since birth. :wink:

My child dooes badly (1 out of 5 correct) in vocab MCQ in paper 2. pls advise how your school teachers train them to score this portion. Thanks.

The teacher only drilled them in grammar. As for vocab, there wasn't much drilling done except that she required the class to read a specified number of books and made them write down a list of good phrases and vocabulary from the books read . Also, the class has to submit 1-2 newspaper articles per week where the students are required to find the meaning of new words and write a short review.

From my own experience, vocabulary is something that is 'caught' not 'taught'. If the child reads enough, it is a natural tendency to pick up a lot of new vocabulary along the way.

How about getting a list of good words, and introduce 2 or 3 new words to your child everyday? That'll be 700+ words a year. quite a whole lot. Make sure you teach them how to use these words as well.

Since my kids read a lot and their vocab is quite good, I seldom use this method. I read this somewhere and it seems to work.

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Neko » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:12 am

2ppaamm wrote:
Zann wrote:Perhaps, by end of CA1 they will base on the result to decide who to attend rememial. BTW will there be CA1? So far no schedulle from my school leh :?

Our CA will be in May. Maths in April. The English common test (since it is common, I reckon all GEP students will take the same test) will include English Comprehension and Comprehension Cloze. Are you sure you don't have the time table? I can PM you mine.

Hi 2ppaamm

I would appreciate it if you could pm me the CA timetable/details. I could only find dd's math CA schedule. Thanks ! :D

Neko
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Zann » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:42 am

Neko wrote:
2ppaamm wrote:
Zann wrote:Perhaps, by end of CA1 they will base on the result to decide who to attend rememial. BTW will there be CA1? So far no schedulle from my school leh :?

Our CA will be in May. Maths in April. The English common test (since it is common, I reckon all GEP students will take the same test) will include English Comprehension and Comprehension Cloze. Are you sure you don't have the time table? I can PM you mine.

Hi 2ppaamm

I would appreciate it if you could pm me the CA timetable/details. I could only find dd's math CA schedule. Thanks ! :D

Hi 2ppaamm,

Pls pm me your CA schedule also for reference purpose. Heard the P6 GEP CA is already over! but till now I still receive nothing from my ds. still duno if there will be CA till now... so strange ,,,

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Zann » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:53 am

Anybody know what Investigative Maths is at P4,5 & 6?

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Zann » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:55 am

Neko wrote:
2ppaamm wrote:

Hi 2ppaamm

There seem to be no CA in term 1. Enjoy!

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby cchew » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:43 am

Neko wrote:
Hi 2ppaamm

You can refer to Tao Nan School GEP website under the "Calendar" as they list the time table for the whole year (assume that all GEP take the test/exam on same day) for P4/P5/P6

http://www.taonan.moe.edu.sg/index.php? ... &Itemid=17

or http://www.taonan.moe.edu.sg/attachment ... Jan_10.pdf to download

cchew
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby 2ppaamm » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:42 pm

cchew wrote:
Neko wrote:
Hi 2ppaamm

You can refer to Tao Nan School GEP website under the "Calendar" as they list the time table for the whole year (assume that all GEP take the test/exam on same day) for P4/P5/P6

http://www.taonan.moe.edu.sg/index.php? ... &Itemid=17

or http://www.taonan.moe.edu.sg/attachment ... Jan_10.pdf to download

Hi,
I checked the Tao nan's. It's the same as the one I got.

7 APR (WED)
Mathematics Common Test 1
Part 1
1 hr 15 mins -
5 MAY (Wed)
(1/2 hr break in between Paper 1&2)
CL / HCL Common Test 1 Paper 1 50 mins Language paper
CL Common Test 1 Paper 2
HCL Common Test 1 Paper 2
1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 20 mins
6 MAY (THU) English Common Test 1 1 hr -
7 MAY (FRI) Social Studies Common Test 50 mins Family, Our Beginnings, Our Heritage
12 MAY (WED)
Part 2 (Investigation 1)
45 mins -
13 MAY (THU) Science Common Test 1

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Neko » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:35 pm

2ppaamm wrote:Hi,
I checked the Tao nan's. It's the same as the one I got.

7 APR (WED)
Part 1
1 hr 15 mins -
5 MAY (Wed)
(1/2 hr break in between Paper 1&2)
CL / HCL Common Test 1 Paper 1 50 mins Language paper
CL Common Test 1 Paper 2
HCL Common Test 1 Paper 2
1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 20 mins
6 MAY (THU) English Common Test 1 1 hr -
7 MAY (FRI) Social Studies Common Test 50 mins Family, Our Beginnings, Our Heritage
12 MAY (WED)
Part 2 (Investigation 1)
45 mins -
13 MAY (THU) Science Common Test 1

:thankyou:

Neko
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby mathsparks » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:08 pm

Zann wrote:Anybody know what Investigative Maths is at P4,5 & 6?

Have gone thru my son’s p4/p5 worksheets but there’s nothing specifically labelled investigative maths. I figured that Inv Maths are typically done at the start of each topic to expose the students to a concept and its applications. Then the calculations/mathematical drill would come in.

These are the ones which I think would be classified as investigative:

- Traffic statistics (graph plotting)
- All corners aren’t square (cutting tiles to fit corners)
- Pick your pyramid (visual)
- Regular polygon combinations (escher drawings)
- Perplexing perimeters
- Area estimations
- Shortest route
- Unfolding a cut-out piece
- Making tangram puzzles
- Sieve of Erathosthenes
- Abundant/Amicable numbers
- Cryparithm/Missing Numbers
- Tile trial
- Palindrome
- Egyptian fraction tiles
- Petite proportions
- Decimal puzzles
- Permutations & Combinations
- Fibonacci numbers
- You are what you eat/Duck soup/I’ve been converted (decimals/fractions)
- Daffynition decoder (angles)
- How much number sense have you (big nos/standard forms)

mathsparks
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

LEARNConcierge