Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

All About GEP

Academic support and discussions for GEP

GEP screening test? Go or no Go

Poll ended at Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:26 pm

Must Go
7
35%
Can Try
11
55%
Don't Go
2
10%
 
Total votes : 20

Postby Zann » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:49 pm

mathsparks wrote:
Zann wrote:Anybody know what Investigative Maths is at P4,5 & 6?


Have gone thru my son’s p4/p5 worksheets but there’s nothing specifically labelled investigative maths. I figured that Inv Maths are typically done at the start of each topic to expose the students to a concept and its applications. Then the calculations/mathematical drill would come in.

These are the ones which I think would be classified as investigative:

- Traffic statistics (graph plotting)
- All corners aren’t square (cutting tiles to fit corners)
- Pick your pyramid (visual)
- Regular polygon combinations (escher drawings)
- Perplexing perimeters
- Area estimations
- Shortest route
- Unfolding a cut-out piece
- Making tangram puzzles
- Sieve of Erathosthenes
- Abundant/Amicable numbers
- Cryparithm/Missing Numbers
- Tile trial
- Palindrome
- Egyptian fraction tiles
- Petite proportions
- Decimal puzzles
- Permutations & Combinations
- Fibonacci numbers
- You are what you eat/Duck soup/I’ve been converted (decimals/fractions)
- Daffynition decoder (angles)
- How much number sense have you (big nos/standard forms)


Thanks Mathsparks :thankyou:

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
 
Posts: 997
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:34 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby Bronzy » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:36 pm

Just started reading some of this thread - can someone tell me what/where TLL is and why they are so famous?

My daughter only has tuition for MT - just started this year as grades were going downhill. Being Kiasu, am wondering whether she should have other tuition too since everyone else is doing it! Where to squeeze the time will be a challenge though!

Bronzy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:00 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby 2ppaamm » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:09 am

mathsparks wrote:
Zann wrote:Anybody know what Investigative Maths is at P4,5 & 6?


Have gone thru my son’s p4/p5 worksheets but there’s nothing specifically labelled investigative maths. I figured that Inv Maths are typically done at the start of each topic to expose the students to a concept and its applications. Then the calculations/mathematical drill would come in.

These are the ones which I think would be classified as investigative:

- Traffic statistics (graph plotting)
- All corners aren’t square (cutting tiles to fit corners)
- Pick your pyramid (visual)
- Regular polygon combinations (escher drawings)
- Perplexing perimeters
- Area estimations
- Shortest route
- Unfolding a cut-out piece
- Making tangram puzzles
- Sieve of Erathosthenes
- Abundant/Amicable numbers
- Cryparithm/Missing Numbers
- Tile trial
- Palindrome
- Egyptian fraction tiles
- Petite proportions
- Decimal puzzles
- Permutations & Combinations
- Fibonacci numbers
- You are what you eat/Duck soup/I’ve been converted (decimals/fractions)
- Daffynition decoder (angles)
- How much number sense have you (big nos/standard forms)

:shock: :faint:

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2538
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:57 pm
Total Likes: 6


Postby musette » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:48 am

Bronzy wrote:Just started reading some of this thread - can someone tell me what/where TLL is and why they are so famous?

My daughter only has tuition for MT - just started this year as grades were going downhill. Being Kiasu, am wondering whether she should have other tuition too since everyone else is doing it! Where to squeeze the time will be a challenge though!


TLL is The Learning Lab. Some parents have shared their comments about TLL in this thread.

My dd also only has MT creative writing as tuition. She said a lot of her classmates are attending TLL. She knows because her teacher asked and most of the pupils in her class raised their hands. I'm also a bit worried and wondering whether she should be attending more tuition classes.

Bronzy wrote:Where to squeeze the time will be a challenge though!

Is your daughter very busy with CCA? For my dd, if not for her swimming and violin, she would have a lot of free time.

musette
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:56 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby 2ppaamm » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:54 am

My son attends nothing and sometimes I wonder if I am not helping him when I know the whole class attend some kind of tuition or enrichment. Key is , is your kid falling behind? Does he/she not understand any concept learnt? If it is the kiasuparents syndrome than I feel that tuition is counter productive. Many of my tertiary students hated their childhood because of the kind of grilling they had to go through. Some of my friends' gifted kids got so burnt out they totally switched off in sec years . Key is how long term do you see your child's education?

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2538
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:57 pm
Total Likes: 6



Postby Blobbi » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:19 am

2ppaamm wrote:My son attends nothing and sometimes I wonder if I am not helping him when I know the whole class attend some kind of tuition or enrichment. Key is , is your kid falling behind? Does he/she not understand any concept learnt? If it is the kiasuparents syndrome than I feel that tuition is counter productive. Many of my tertiary students hated their childhood because of the kind of grilling they had to go through. Some of my friends' gifted kids got so burnt out they totally switched off in sec years . Key is how long term do you see your child's education?


Bestest post!!
Last edited by Blobbi on Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blobbi
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1479
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:35 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby Neko » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:20 am

My dd has Chinese tuition. That's it. After completing her hw she has lots of time to play and laze around --> happy happy kid :lol:

Neko
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:00 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby vlim » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:19 am

2ppaamm wrote:
mathsparks wrote:
Zann wrote:Anybody know what Investigative Maths is at P4,5 & 6?


Have gone thru my son’s p4/p5 worksheets but there’s nothing specifically labelled investigative maths. I figured that Inv Maths are typically done at the start of each topic to expose the students to a concept and its applications. Then the calculations/mathematical drill would come in.

These are the ones which I think would be classified as investigative:

- Traffic statistics (graph plotting)
- All corners aren’t square (cutting tiles to fit corners)
- Pick your pyramid (visual)
- Regular polygon combinations (escher drawings)
- Perplexing perimeters
- Area estimations
- Shortest route
- Unfolding a cut-out piece
- Making tangram puzzles
- Sieve of Erathosthenes
- Abundant/Amicable numbers
- Cryparithm/Missing Numbers
- Tile trial
- Palindrome
- Egyptian fraction tiles
- Petite proportions
- Decimal puzzles
- Permutations & Combinations
- Fibonacci numbers
- You are what you eat/Duck soup/I’ve been converted (decimals/fractions)
- Daffynition decoder (angles)
- How much number sense have you (big nos/standard forms)

:shock: :faint:


no worry no worry...they will be guided along...now I seldom help my p5 in his maths homework as they are too chim for me liao especially the amec work!

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 4782
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:49 pm
Total Likes: 2


Postby Zann » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:45 am

vlim wrote:no worry no worry...they will be guided along...now I seldom help my p5 in his maths homework as they are too chim for me liao especially the amec work!


Same for me. Hope to be able to sit back and relax, always... :celebrate: but just wonder what it is...

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
 
Posts: 997
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:34 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby mathsparks » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:32 pm

vlim wrote:no worry no worry...they will be guided along...now I seldom help my p5 in his maths homework as they are too chim for me liao especially the amec work!


hi ppl,
nothing to worry/faint la. These topics inject fun to otherwise very theorectical maths and the kids can cope. I didnt follow my son either and he turned out fine. Only when Zann asked and I looked thru his files then I realised the intersting stuff he had done. I'm guilty of signing off his files without seriously checking. :oops:

mathsparks
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2825
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:27 pm
Total Likes: 0


PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres