All About GEP

Academic support and discussions for GEP

GEP screening test? Go or no Go

Poll ended at Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:26 pm

Must Go
7
35%
Can Try
11
55%
Don't Go
2
10%
 
Total votes : 20

Postby 2ppaamm » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:04 pm

Thanks Mathsparks, but it is a very "interesting" list!

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2538
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:57 pm
Total Likes: 6


Postby Zann » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:17 pm

Me too. Mathsparks. I know you are always willing to help. Thanks, thanks for taking time to check and share. Today, saw my ds doing traffic statistics. . .

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
 
Posts: 997
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:34 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby Bronzy » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:24 pm

musette wrote:TLL is The Learning Lab. Some parents have shared their comments about TLL in this thread.

My dd also only has MT creative writing as tuition. She said a lot of her classmates are attending TLL. She knows because her teacher asked and most of the pupils in her class raised their hands. I'm also a bit worried and wondering whether she should be attending more tuition classes.


Thanks Musette. This is the first time I am hearing of TLL. I had heard from a colleague that there are special tuition centres which focus on GEP students. Am guessing that this is one of them? Just googled them and their website is impressive. So are the top PSLE scores! The kiasu in me almost called them to sign my dd up immediately - before I realised it was too late at night!

musette wrote:Is your daughter very busy with CCA? For my dd, if not for her swimming and violin, she would have a lot of free time.

My daughter takes netball as her CCA which takes up two afternoons a week - until 6pm. Add that to one more afternoon of supplementary class and one afternoon for violin and MT tuition and that leaves her with one free afternoon (which incidentally was used up for sports practice during the first term!). And I havent even mentioned homework yet. I try to keep her weekends free but have been spending most of the last few weekends getting her to complete her project work. Is a hectic life for a young girl!

Bronzy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:00 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby Bronzy » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:33 pm

mathsparks wrote:Have gone thru my son’s p4/p5 worksheets but there’s nothing specifically labelled investigative maths. I figured that Inv Maths are typically done at the start of each topic to expose the students to a concept and its applications. Then the calculations/mathematical drill would come in.

These are the ones which I think would be classified as investigative:

- Traffic statistics (graph plotting)
- All corners aren’t square (cutting tiles to fit corners)
- Pick your pyramid (visual)
- Regular polygon combinations (escher drawings)
- Perplexing perimeters
- Area estimations
- Shortest route
- Unfolding a cut-out piece
- Making tangram puzzles
- Sieve of Erathosthenes
- Abundant/Amicable numbers
- Cryparithm/Missing Numbers
- Tile trial
- Palindrome
- Egyptian fraction tiles
- Petite proportions
- Decimal puzzles
- Permutations & Combinations
- Fibonacci numbers
- You are what you eat/Duck soup/I’ve been converted (decimals/fractions)
- Daffynition decoder (angles)
- How much number sense have you (big nos/standard forms)


Mathsparks, this is a scary looking, unfamiliar list! Hope that my dd has not covered these topics as it otherwise means that I have no idea what she is doing for Maths!

Bronzy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:00 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby 2ppaamm » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:43 pm

Bronzy wrote:
musette wrote:TLL is The Learning Lab. Some parents have shared their comments about TLL in this thread.

My dd also only has MT creative writing as tuition. She said a lot of her classmates are attending TLL. She knows because her teacher asked and most of the pupils in her class raised their hands. I'm also a bit worried and wondering whether she should be attending more tuition classes.


Thanks Musette. This is the first time I am hearing of TLL. I had heard from a colleague that there are special tuition centres which focus on GEP students. Am guessing that this is one of them? Just googled them and their website is impressive. So are the top PSLE scores! The kiasu in me almost called them to sign my dd up immediately - before I realised it was too late at night!

musette wrote:Is your daughter very busy with CCA? For my dd, if not for her swimming and violin, she would have a lot of free time.

My daughter takes netball as her CCA which takes up two afternoons a week - until 6pm. Add that to one more afternoon of supplementary class and one afternoon for violin and MT tuition and that leaves her with one free afternoon (which incidentally was used up for sports practice during the first term!). And I havent even mentioned homework yet. I try to keep her weekends free but have been spending most of the last few weekends getting her to complete her project work. Is a hectic life for a young girl!

Bronzy, you have a very busy child. Does she really need tuition?

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2538
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:57 pm
Total Likes: 6



Postby Bronzy » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:13 pm

2ppaamm wrote:Bronzy, you have a very busy child. Does she really need tuition?


Hello 2ppaamm. For MT - unfortunately yes. I held out from P1 - P3 but the grades kept up their downhill slide. Probably not for other subjects - not yet anyway! Although grades were not fantastic, mostly due to careless mistakes (By the way, anyone have a solution for getting kids to be less careless?!).

Thought of convincing ds to change to a less hectic CCA but she seems to be enjoying Netball so will just go with the flow for now.

Bronzy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:00 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby KSP » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:49 am

What is the GEP screening schedule for this year?
What are parents doing about it?

KSP
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 6630
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:15 pm
Total Likes: 10


Postby KSP » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:27 am

Bronzy wrote:This is the first time I am hearing of TLL.


Here is more info on The Learning Lab .

KSP
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 6630
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:15 pm
Total Likes: 10


Postby 2ppaamm » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:10 am

KSP wrote:
Bronzy wrote:This is the first time I am hearing of TLL.


Here is more info on The Learning Lab .

Hi, do you have a kid in P3? Actually, I would like to hear what others did, because I did nothing, but in the GEP class this year, maths teacher told me DS2 knows a few theorems which I have never heard of. He apparently read it from the book shelves. It helps to have older kids, and it helps that he is an avid reader. He learnt all that from the books on the shelf that weren't his.

English teacher also said his vocab is vast. Also from reading. He reads 2 -3 novels (3 inch thick kind) a day. Thankfully, eye sight still within control.

Do let me know how you prepare your kids... I would like to learn from the enlightened parents here.

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2538
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:57 pm
Total Likes: 6


Postby pecalis » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:52 am

Bronzy wrote:By the way, anyone have a solution for getting kids to be less careless?!.


I was careless when I was young. I realised my own weakness and made sure tt I check my working esp certain steps where I tend to make mistakes. Working backwards for checking helps in Primary sch. Or using alternative methods.

Having said tt, my kids are also careless and my DH insisted tt I should teach them to check their work. They claimed to have checked their exam papers more than 5x but still made careless mistakes! I made them do a piece of assessment and then, show me the steps tt they did to check. This is very tedious for them and they hated it - we have only done this 2x so far :( DH also insists tt checking means doing the question all over again as if it's the 1st time you're doing it.

I used to think tt if they make mistakes due to carelessness, there's nothing much I could do as their mother and they have to pay the price by having lower marks. DH, who is a perfectionist, does not accept carelessness. Well, I've taught them to check their work properly and if they still make careless mistakes, then they will have to pay for it :)

pecalis
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 290
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:19 pm
Total Likes: 0


PreviousNext

Return to GEP