Must Go
35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby Zann » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:34 am

KSP wrote:What is the GEP screening schedule for this year?
What are parents doing about it?

My child was P3 last yr and I did nothing about it. It has been advised not to prepare your child for it else they will suffer later even if they get in. As you can see the kind of Maths in GEP they have to be able to handle themselve later and even parents can't help. English is also demanding. They don't get to prepare much for their PSLE,.,.etc. We are always advised to leave it naturally.

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby 2ppaamm » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:46 am

Wonder if anyone sent kids to things like dr peh who charges an arm and a leg. Did it really work? Or is it just sending a smart kid there for affirmation only.

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ApronMama » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:04 am

2ppaamm wrote:Wonder if anyone sent kids to things like dr peh who charges an arm and a leg. Did it really work? Or is it just sending a smart kid there for affirmation only.

Heard they don't warant success despite the rate they charge. The parents' kiasuism will probably lead them there and Dr Peh continue to be around year after year.

ApronMama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby 2ppaamm » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:24 am

ApronMama wrote:
2ppaamm wrote:Wonder if anyone sent kids to things like dr peh who charges an arm and a leg. Did it really work? Or is it just sending a smart kid there for affirmation only.

Heard they don't warant success despite the rate they charge. The parents' kiasuism will probably lead them there and Dr Peh continue to be around year after year.
sad

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pecalis » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:42 am

Zann wrote:

My child was P3 last yr and I did nothing about it. It has been advised not to prepare your child for it else they will suffer later even if they get in. As you can see the kind of Maths in GEP they have to be able to handle themselve later and even parents can't help. English is also demanding. They don't get to prepare much for their PSLE,.,.etc. We are always advised to leave it naturally.

Last yr, 1st screening was in Aug, I think.

Totally agree tt we should not "prepare" or "train" them for it. If the child is gifted or high ability, he/she will get selected. No point getting selected with much training and then, cannot cope with the programme.

Btw, they are doing Sec 1 or 2 Science (Eureka can for vol and particulate nature of matter - using the particles to explain the properties of solid, liquid and gas) and P6 or Sec 1 Math. My son came home last mth and asked if I know about the nth term. We thought he was referring to the "anthem" LOL.

pecalis
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby vlim » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:52 pm

pecalis wrote:
Zann wrote:

Last yr, 1st screening was in Aug, I think.

Totally agree tt we should not "prepare" or "train" them for it. If the child is gifted or high ability, he/she will get selected. No point getting selected with much training and then, cannot cope with the programme.

Btw, they are doing Sec 1 or 2 Science (Eureka can for vol and particulate nature of matter - using the particles to explain the properties of solid, liquid and gas) and P6 or Sec 1 Math. My son came home last mth and asked if I know about the nth term. We thought he was referring to the "anthem" LOL.

nth term is what they will be tested on for their first investigation test.. a number of them manage to get 15/15 or close to it heard from my son...so I presume not too difficult..

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:18 pm

http://www.moe.gov.sg/education/program ... ly-gifted/

hi the above site has been updated regarding exceptionally gifted kids...interesting to read... :D

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MdmKS » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:37 pm

Do you think all parents will know what GEP screening is for ? My superior at my workplace have not heard of GEP though the child was in P6. Another one also ask what GEP is when hear the term and had a child now in P4. Is it possible? Will all kids have a fair opportunity ? Will any be left out totally in the process?

MdmKS
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby mathsparks » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:45 pm

Zann wrote:Me too. Mathsparks. I know you are always willing to help. Thanks, thanks for taking time to check and share. Today, saw my ds doing traffic statistics. . .

No problem, Zann since my son just grad last year. My memories are still fresh. One year on, you guys have to take over and share your experience too.

Traffic stats was fun, eh?

mathsparks
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 2ppaamm » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:26 pm

Yes it is definitely possible to not know at all. The gep screening consent was sent via the kids and some kids and parents might miss that out completely. Besides some school do not encourage their top students to leave the school after 3 years. These students boost their psle results, right? So yes it is definitely possible and also one of the reasons why non gepers are missed out at gep but go on to do fantastically at psle.! Just my view.

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

LEARNConcierge