Must Go
35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby Bronzy » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:49 pm

2ppaamm wrote:Hi, do you have a kid in P3? Actually, I would like to hear what others did, because I did nothing, but in the GEP class this year, maths teacher told me DS2 knows a few theorems which I have never heard of. He apparently read it from the book shelves. It helps to have older kids, and it helps that he is an avid reader. He learnt all that from the books on the shelf that weren't his.

English teacher also said his vocab is vast. Also from reading. He reads 2 -3 novels (3 inch thick kind) a day. Thankfully, eye sight still within control.

Do let me know how you prepare your kids... I would like to learn from the enlightened parents here.

Afraid that I don't qualify as an enlightened parent - did not do anything to prepare my daughter for the GEP screening - unless you count getting her to do some kids Mensa questions the night before the exam! The kiasu in me felt at that point that I should do something to prepare her so sat her down and got her to do something like 5 questions before we both gave up! Was rather surprised when she was selected as she was not exactly top student in her class. Very erratic too - full marks for one exam and 70+ for the next (ALL Careless - hence my earlier question)!

Actually did some homework earlier in the year to find out how to prepare kids for GEP. Came across Dr Peh's name and another of the tuition schools (can't recall which now). But decided against it.

Daughter loves to read too - have to ban her from reading sometimes to ensure that she does her work! Whenever we buy books, I get a 1 for 1 deal - i buy one while she reads one. If the queue is a little long, she is done by the time I pay for the book!

Bronzy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Bronzy » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:55 pm

pecalis wrote:
Bronzy wrote:By the way, anyone have a solution for getting kids to be less careless?!.

I was careless when I was young. I realised my own weakness and made sure tt I check my working esp certain steps where I tend to make mistakes. Working backwards for checking helps in Primary sch. Or using alternative methods.

Having said tt, my kids are also careless and my DH insisted tt I should teach them to check their work. They claimed to have checked their exam papers more than 5x but still made careless mistakes! I made them do a piece of assessment and then, show me the steps tt they did to check. This is very tedious for them and they hated it - we have only done this 2x so far :( DH also insists tt checking means doing the question all over again as if it's the 1st time you're doing it.

I used to think tt if they make mistakes due to carelessness, there's nothing much I could do as their mother and they have to pay the price by having lower marks. DH, who is a perfectionist, does not accept carelessness. Well, I've taught them to check their work properly and if they still make careless mistakes, then they will have to pay for it :)

Hi Pecalis,
I, like your DH, used to believe that carelessness can be 'cured'. After three years of trying, I am now almost convinced that is not the case! Have tried rewards system, threats, and mostly plain nagging. Has not made an iota of a difference. Tried to convice ds to redo the questions to check but it is obviously not done as after 'checking' up to 5x, she can still end up with more that 10 mistakes in a single paper!

I used to be a careful child (or so I choose to remember!) so cannot understand why ds is so careless and could not really be bothered about it.

Bronzy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Herbie » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:12 pm

Hi Mathsparks! I have sent you a PM.

Herbie
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mathsparks » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:33 pm

replied le, herbie.

mathsparks
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby KSP » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:46 pm

Can anyone name the BEST enrichment center that prepare students for GEP? Thanks.

The two I know are The Learning Lab and Dr Peh Associate.

KSP
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mathsparks » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:35 pm

Does TLL conduct gep prep classes??

I know of a pair of brothers, both in gep, who attended TLL since they were in Pr1. Perhaps their syllabus are more challenging or do they've separate gep preparation class?

mathsparks
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby turquoise » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:40 pm

I don't think TLL has GEP prep classes.

turquoise
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby MdmKS » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:07 am

mathsparks wrote:Does TLL conduct gep prep classes??

I know of a pair of brothers, both in gep, who attended TLL since they were in Pr1. Perhaps their syllabus are more challenging or do they've separate gep preparation class?

But not all TLL students got into GEP leh... brothers carry the same gene from their parents.

MdmKS
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby mathsparks » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:14 pm

Actually, MdmKs, I was hinting that perhaps kids who'd attended TLL since P1 have a higher chance of getting into the program.

Sure, I'm aware that it could be the parents' genes. But there are a lot more families out there who has only 1 gifted child than there are families with all gifted siblings. :wink:

mathsparks
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:41 pm

mathsparks wrote:Actually, MdmKs, I was hinting that perhaps kids who'd attended TLL since P1 have a higher chance of getting into the program.

Sure, I'm aware that it could be the parents' genes. But there are a lot more families out there who has only 1 gifted child than there are families with all gifted siblings. :wink:

i agree as my p2 dd just made me vomit blood this afternoon while teaching her how to do maths problem sum using model :stupid:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to GEP