Must Go
35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby mathsparks » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:45 pm

haha vlim, with your ds, life is easier eh? You're in the same situation as me. But lucky me, my dd already in J2. You still have a long way to hang in there. Good luck! Oh, and patience, my dear, you dont wanna put her off Maths at such a young age. :wink:

mathsparks
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:52 pm

mathsparks wrote:haha vlim, with your ds, life is easier eh? You're in the same situation as me. But lucky me, my dd already in J2. You still have a long way to hang in there. Good luck! Oh, and patience, my dear, you dont wanna put her off Maths at such a young age. :wink:

my dd seems to like to do languages homework more then Maths ... which is the opp as me .... my ds though easier but he is kind of temperamental...pessimistic at time... :|

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:56 pm

Hi 2ppaamm, with your exceptionally gifted child, life going to be very exciting and interesting for u and him... congratulation :D

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Bronzy » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:25 pm

mathsparks wrote:Sure, I'm aware that it could be the parents' genes. But there are a lot more families out there who has only 1 gifted child than there are families with all gifted siblings. :wink:

I was rather surprised to find out that there were quite a few families with more than one sibling getting into GEP. Had been under the false impression that there would be a one in a million chance of two kids from the same family getting into GEP!

Bronzy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Bronzy » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:03 am

Thanks for sharing 2ppaamm and Congratulations to you and your ds! Your ds is one of the few in GEP who really fall in the categroy of the truly gifted. Esp since he was not groomed in any way.

When my dd qualified for GEP, I had two main worries - the first was whether she would be able to cope with the work and the second whether she would become arrogant and think herself superior to the mainstream students (as I had read happens) and end up being ostracised. My dh and I prepped her on how she was lucky to have made it and should not think herself better that those who didn't. So far, (only 2 months), she seems quite a normal girl - not too eager to finish her work and preferring to read, laze or watch TV. Mixes well and does not talk down about any of her schoolmates. Always kid with her that she must have got in by accident and she takes it good naturedly.

Feel that the term 'Gifted' is not approprate for the GEP as a good number of the kids (mine included) are bright but not what I would term 'Gifted' in the way your son and some others may be. Opine that the MOE should change the name (not thought of a good name yet) and reserve the term 'Gifted' for the exceptional few. This might remove some of the stigma of being a GEP student.

Bronzy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby KSP » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:10 am

turquoise wrote:I don't think TLL has GEP prep classes.

They don't have to name their enrichment class as GEP prep. Their class material is already up to that standard. The rest depend on the student calibre.

KSP
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MdmKS » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:38 am

vlim wrote:
mathsparks wrote:Actually, MdmKs, I was hinting that perhaps kids who'd attended TLL since P1 have a higher chance of getting into the program.

Sure, I'm aware that it could be the parents' genes. But there are a lot more families out there who has only 1 gifted child than there are families with all gifted siblings. :wink:

i agree as my p2 dd just made me vomit blood this afternoon while teaching her how to do maths problem sum using model :stupid:

hi Vlim and mathsparks, the difference for your case is that one is dd and the other is ds. according to statistics boys have higher chance of getting in. You have to factor it in . :politebleah:

MdmKS
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby ningy » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:24 pm

my dd1 was selected for GEP; her 2 cousins (not sibblings) were also GEPers. so keep my fingers crossed, my dd2 is now in P1 and we are all wondering if she will follow the "tradition". guess she'll feel the stress when her turn comes. but my dh not too optimistic leh, this dd2 is carefree and careless with a lazy attitude.

ningy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Bronzy » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:06 pm

ningy wrote:my dd1 was selected for GEP; her 2 cousins (not sibblings) were also GEPers. so keep my fingers crossed, my dd2 is now in P1 and we are all wondering if she will follow the "tradition". guess she'll feel the stress when her turn comes. but my dh not too optimistic leh, this dd2 is carefree and careless with a lazy attitude.

My dd was, and still is, rather carefree and careless and has a tendency to be lazy! So you never know!

Bronzy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby KSmom8 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:02 am

Bronzy wrote:When my dd qualified for GEP, I had two main worries - the first was whether she would be able to cope with the work and the second whether she would become arrogant and think herself superior to the mainstream students (as I had read happens) and end up being ostracised.

Feel that the term 'Gifted' is not approprate for the GEP as a good number of the kids (mine included) are bright but not what I would term 'Gifted' in the way your son and some others may be. Opine that the MOE should change the name (not thought of a good name yet) and reserve the term 'Gifted' for the exceptional few. This might remove some of the stigma of being a GEP student.

WOW!!! Thanks for sharing. I have the same worries and view. I consider my son to be academically inclined but would never use the term 'gifted' on him. I worry that the label 'GEP' and the expectations that go with it might be too heavy a burden.

Eventhough, he was within the top 10 in his standard from primary 1 to 3... To me, he is a bright and conscientious child. Didn't send him for any GEP preparatory classes (don't believe in that) and was shocked when he got in.

I counsel him often not to consider himself above 'mainstream' (don't like this term too!) students and am trying to teach him social skills, empathy and compassion.

I am still worried about his ability to cope with the workload. My heart goes out to him when he returns from school at 3-4pm (3 times a week) and then does his homework till dinnertime and sometimes till bedtime! He used to take so little time to do his homework ... in fact, he'd finish most of it in school! About 2 weeks ago, he said he was stressed and we spoke about perfectionism, expectations and time management. I really thought then that GEP might not be for him (eventhough I thought he was faring okay with the curriculum) and he would be happier in 'mainstream'. Fortunately, the next week, his school asked for feedback from the pupils on whether they felt there was too much homework. All his classmates except for one (ironically the one that does not hand in the homework on time) complained about far too much homework. It seemed that the amount of homework reduced consequently. Yesterday, he beamed when I asked about homework and said that there was only one question left to do. Though he spent most of the day studying for his Chinese spelling test (no spelling list) and preparing for his Chinese test both this week, he was happier.

Am still keeping all my fingers (and toes) crossed that the decision to take up the GEP challenge is a good one for him. :pray: :pray: :pray:

KSmom8
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres